The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 229 | All together now | Fab forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
1 October 2013
6.14pm
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 9238

fabfouremily said
Gah, my application to get tickets to see Paul at the Maida Vale studios has been 'unsucessful' :(

Have you had a similar email, mmm? If not, you may still be in with a chance.

Yeah, same result. I'm trying to forget about it. Crappy isn't it?

Didn't Ben Ramon also apply and maybe a couple of others (there have been so many things going on in the world of Beatles its difficult keeping up at times)? Would be cool if someone here got to go but I would be seriously jealous and a bit peeved.a-hard-days-night-paul-3

"Well, probably we'll sell less records, less people'll go to see the film, we'll write less songs, and we'll all die of failure" (John Lennon 8/64)
1 October 2013
9.36pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2927

Yeah, I know Ben Ramon definitely applied. He doesn't come on here that much, though, so didn't think he'd see my post.

It's a shame, but never mind. As long as no one else gets to go either, I'm fine… blue-meanie (joking!)

sky090909 said

fabfouremily said
Gah, my application to get tickets to see Paul at the Maida Vale studios has been 'unsucessful' :(

Have you had a similar email, mmm? If not, you may still be in with a chance.

Wow. You have to send in an email and all? ahdn_paul_01

You applied online and had to answer a few questions: age, gender, things like that. I only got an email to receive the news.

''We're just knocked out. We heard about the sell out. You gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people. We're so happy we can hardly count.''

1 October 2013
10.42pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Forum Posts: 4480

Aw naw! The first thing that came to mind was, "Hey, Zig's picture is in here." I'm warped. Or still just very sleepy. Took me a minute to remember that it really isn't Zig but just his avatar

2 October 2013
1.15pm
trcanberra
Canberra, ACT
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1628

Wow – I was all alone a couple of minutes ago and now we have quite the crowd on.

Party time?

2 October 2013
1.42pm
Ahhh Girl

trcanberra said
Wow – I was all alone a couple of minutes ago and now we have quite the crowd on.

Party time?

Still partying? I see quite a few people still on now.

2 October 2013
3.54pm
Ron Nasty
"Where have you been?" "I'm not telling you..."
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2946

Sad news! Just breaking, not many details yet, but the great American author Tom Clancy passed away Tuesday night in a Baltimore hospital aged 66.

Tom Clancy, pictured at a New York book signing in 2003, died Tuesday night in a Baltimore hospital, his hospital reported.

RIP Tom.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty
2 October 2013
5.17pm
Ahhh Girl

I have a feeling that some older folks who could really add lots of interesting stories to the forum (those who lived through the initial Beatlemania for example), just don't like and use computers. I bet they could really entertain us.

2 October 2013
5.30pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost

Forum Posts: 3641

mja6758 said
Tom Clancy passed away Tuesday night in a Baltimore hospital aged 66

I'm sorry to say I've only read one of his books. I remember enjoying it very much but haven't read any others – not sure why.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

2 October 2013
5.38pm
meanmistermustard

mja6758 said
Sad news! Just breaking, not many details yet, but the great American author Tom Clancy passed away Tuesday night in a Baltimore hospital aged 66.

RIP Tom.

Sad news. I'm not a huge fiction fan so never read his books but it would be daft not to recognise how highly respected, and successful, an author he was.

"Well, probably we'll sell less records, less people'll go to see the film, we'll write less songs, and we'll all die of failure" (John Lennon 8/64)
2 October 2013
5.38pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Zig said

mja6758 said
Tom Clancy passed away Tuesday night in a Baltimore hospital aged 66

I'm sorry to say I've only read one of his books. I remember enjoying it very much but haven't read any others – not sure why.

But then I'm sure you've seen films that were based on his novels, as many were. With the classic early example being The Hunt for Red October.

2 October 2013
8.56pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost

Forum Posts: 3641

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8I don't recall ever seeing any of the movies based on his books.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

2 October 2013
9.25pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Some Tom Clancy movies…

The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, OP Center, Splinter Cell, NetForce, The Sum of All Fears, Without Remorse and this year's Jack Ryan.

2 October 2013
10.05pm
meanmistermustard

I haven't seen any either.

2 October 2013
10.48pm
trcanberra
Canberra, ACT
Apple rooftop

cbatcu said
I have a feeling that some older folks who could really add lots of interesting stories to the forum (those who lived through the initial Beatlemania for example), just don't like and use computers. I bet they could really entertain us.

So what do you want to know?

My only Beatles moments are 'near misses'.  I was born in Bangor and when the Beatles were there with the Maharishi I was all set to go join the mob but then Brian died and they left.  And on it goes … so I'm afraid I don't have anything too entertaining at this end.

I could do some tap dancing?  :)

PS – I don't like computers but have used them since building one from a kit many many years ago.

2 October 2013
11.05pm
Ahhh Girl

^^a-hard-days-night-paul-11OK, Mr. Smarty Pants. Between you and MMM, my sides are splitting!

2 October 2013
11.33pm
trcanberra
Canberra, ACT
Apple rooftop

cbatcu said
^^a-hard-days-night-paul-11OK, Mr. Smarty Pants. Between you and MMM, my sides are splitting!

Who, me? *gives not very convincing innocent grin*

Give me a sec, I'm just trying to get the ram into the keyboard socket so I can reboot my coffee maker …

Darn technology!!

2 October 2013
11.40pm
Ahhh Girl

I am entertained. Have some apples for all that hard work apple01apple01apple01, trcanberra

3 October 2013
12.24am
meanmistermustard

trcanberra said

cbatcu said

So what do you want to know?

My only Beatles moments are 'near misses'.  I was born in Bangor and when the Beatles were there with the Maharishi I was all set to go join the mob but then Brian died and they left.  And on it goes … so I'm afraid I don't have anything too entertaining at this end.

I could do some tap dancing?  :)

PS – I don't like computers but have used them since building one from a kit many many years ago.

Whats you going to join the mob got to do with the Beatles being in Bangor? Is this a Paul is dead thing with the mafia being involved or did Brian's death save you from a life of crime.

Tap dancing is pretty pointless as we cant see it. You'd have to film it, then upload it to the net and post it here. Seems like a lot of effort. Tho if it makes you happy go ahead. Ringo tap dances on record.a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

Computers are fine until they do things they just shouldn't do. Anyone who says its the computer operator who is to blame really should just keep quiet or they might find a laptop coming towards them very very fast.

3 October 2013
12.29am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1899

cbatcu and others:

I'm born and raised American, and all my life I have counted starting with my thumb, then moving on from there.

However, it seems like cbatcu has been referring to two different things: one is simple counting, but the other was showing to other people with your hand's fingers a number.  Didn't you say, cbatcu, that you thought the Euro way was to show, for example, three, with the thumb, index and middle finger out?

In terms of this, all my life if I wanted to indicate three (I haven't had many occasions to do that, since I don't work with Cirque du Soleil in Vegas directing their trios of mimes or clowns or bird-men; and usually if someone asks me how many apples or cookies or screws I want and I want three, I just say "three" unless they're hearing impaired), I would hold up my index, middle and ring finger, while folding in my thumb and little finger -- sort of looks like a Churchillian Victory "V" sign, only a "W" (which I'd like to use someday to start an It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World movement…).

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
3 October 2013
12.39am
Ahhh Girl

I was seeing them as the same. When I start counting with my fingers, I put my index finger up first, then follow with  middle, ring, pinky, then thumb. I always start with my right hand (I am right-handed).

Also, if I want to indicate "1" to someone, it is my index finger that is in the air all by itself. "2" is index and middle. And so on.

Very curious conversation we are enjoying.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Von Bontee, Inner Light, Linde, Ron Nasty, HeyTrud, Ahhh Girl, Annadog40, MrMoonlight, thisbirdhasflown, Bulldog, StrawberryFieldsForever, 165721
81 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 9238

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

parlance: 4908

mithveaen: 4651

Ahhh Girl: 4480

Zig: 3641

Annadog40: 3553

Mr. Kite: 3185

Ron Nasty: 2945

fabfouremily: 2927

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 2503

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3185

Newest Members: 165721, Bibiana, Bibiana0709, Rendersen25, emshicks321

Moderators: Ahhh Girl (4480), meanmistermustard (9238), Zig (3641), Joe (3404)

Administrators: Joe (3404), Ellie (1)

Members Birthdays
Today: None
Upcoming: None