Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
29 August 2013
5.28pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4341sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said
On a lighter note, university, or graduate school. or whatever it is in English, google confuses me, has started for me. Going to study Social Work and the past few days were an introduction in which you got to know your class better and your sort of mentor. I’m so excited about the study and my class seems great too. Because it’s a social study it wasn’t hard to make contact with most of the people at all. Everyone is so different and the ages vary from 17 to 24, but it seems everyone can get along. We even went out for a drink with the whole class (only 12 people. There are 14 classes) I don’t think I’ll find my soulmate in my class, but it certainly looks as if I can get along with everyone.

Congrats, Linde!! apple01apple01 I had no idea you were going to uni :)

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

29 August 2013
11.18pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1807
4342sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said
On a lighter note, university, or graduate school. or whatever it is in English, google confuses me, has started for me. Going to study Social Work and the past few days were an introduction in which you got to know your class better and your sort of mentor. I’m so excited about the study and my class seems great too. Because it’s a social study it wasn’t hard to make contact with most of the people at all. Everyone is so different and the ages vary from 17 to 24, but it seems everyone can get along. We even went out for a drink with the whole class (only 12 people. There are 14 classes) I don’t think I’ll find my soulmate in my class, but it certainly looks as if I can get along with everyone.

Congratulations! :D   apple01apple01apple01

Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy, Ravioli, Eggroll Eggrolli...

~witty quote~

29 August 2013
11.27pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24963

Good luck with your studies Linde. How long will you be in Uni for before you get the relevant qualification?

MP’s in the UK have rejected undertaking military intervention in Syria.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

30 August 2013
9.27am
LadyBay
Following The Sun
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 106
4344sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said

Congratulations and all the best Linde – hope it all goes well for you.  Sounds like a good beginning.apple01

Just looking at the smileys and wondering  –  has the ‘John/Yoko naked album cover one’ ever been used???? 

"Try to realise it's all within yourself - no-one else can make you change"

30 August 2013
4.26pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members

Funny Paper said
Let us know what you find, fabfouremily.ahdn_george_08

I found a few which I thought might be quite interesting to follow, though I don’t know if you would be. As I was mooching around, I noticed that I was mostly liking personal/lifestyle/all-round blogs, rather than ones dedicated to a certain subject. I have this place to find out and indulge in my passion for music (and other topics too). Having said that, I’ve only subscribed to ones that seemed particularly interesting for some reason or another. I don’t want to be bored every month reading about someone’s boring life when I have my own boring life to be bored with.

I’ll send you the links, Funny Paper, if you want to have a look for yourself (there’s 4 or 5).

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

31 August 2013
5.49pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
4346sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper said

Linde said

Congratulations, Linde!  You probably mean “university”, since “graduate school” in North America and perhaps also England denotes the studies done by students after they have completed at least 4 years of “undergraduate” work.  (Then there’s “post-graduate” studies…) 

As we used to say in the college I attended, “What’s your major?”

Thanks all! 

Eh I guess so. I have no idea if I’m using the right name. The whole system is probably different from other countries too. What is a major? I really don’t understand any of it. Anyway, apparently the name of my school in English is ”Saxion University of Applied Sciences”.

@MMM This one takes 4 years, after that I could also study to become a Psychologist.

@Emily Yep, turned 19 this year so it was about time!

Oh and I’m pretty sure the naked John and Yoko smiley has been used a few times.

1 September 2013
6.16pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
4347sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said

Funny Paper said
Let us know what you find, fabfouremily.ahdn_george_08

I found a few which I thought might be quite interesting to follow, though I don’t know if you would be. As I was mooching around, I noticed that I was mostly liking personal/lifestyle/all-round blogs, rather than ones dedicated to a certain subject. I have this place to find out and indulge in my passion for music (and other topics too). Having said that, I’ve only subscribed to ones that seemed particularly interesting for some reason or another. I don’t want to be bored every month reading about someone’s boring life when I have my own boring life to be bored with.

I’ll send you the links, Funny Paper, if you want to have a look for yourself (there’s 4 or 5).

Thanks Emily, please do. 

A while ago I took some time to browse among all the blogs at Blogspot.  There are literally thousands, on every topic under the sun.  In a way, one could just spend time browsing and never actually “land” (that would be fun too).  If you tried Blogspot, one thing you can do is when you are looking at any blog you found, up on the upper corner of the page of every blog on the banner bar you can click to see the “next blog” — which could be anything.  It’s like browsing blindly at complete random, sometimes better than having an organized list or menu by topic.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

1 September 2013
6.22pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
4348sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said

What is a major?

That may be an Americanism, only used in the USA.  It just means your chosen field or interest you are pursuing with an eye to a degree.  Often, new students may not be sure and might spend a year or so trying to figure it out.

I attended college for five years — the first three years I was lost and didn’t know what I really wanted to do.  I chose majors like bananas going ripe off the shelf — first Spanish, then Creative Writing, then “Jazz Arranging” (which I failed), then Psychology, then Sociology…

Finally, as my fourth year was beginning, I had an epiphany that History was my passion, and it stuck.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

1 September 2013
7.51pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5445
4349sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just looking at the smileys and wondering  –  has the ‘John/Yoko naked album cover one’ ever been used???? 

I distinctly remember somebody once using it specifically to refer either to Two Virgins , the album, or the photo itself, when the subject came up in some thread or another. That was a coupla years ago. Can’t remember any other uses but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist! It’s hard to think up plausible occasions to use that particular smiley, since it’s unclear what it’s representing. (You can’t see their faces!) https://www.beatlesbible.com/w…..ono_01.gif

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

1 September 2013
9.09pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4350sp_Permalink sp_Print

I used two-virgins in the Zappa circa 71, at the mention of some American adult actor, Ron Jeremy, and some other things. Maybe its for when talking about something considered controversial, naughty or taboo.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 September 2013
10.19pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5445
4351sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah, thanks, I must’ve missed that one. Sounds like an excellent usage, I imagine. :) I was very involved in that thread, but I admit paying little attention to that Ron Jeremy derail-segment!

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

1 September 2013
10.35pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
4352sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper (sorry, can’t quote you – am on stupid iPod), I’ll send the links over to you tomorrow.
I did try Blogspot, but most of them I’ve found are ones that were in a ‘top 100 bloggers’ article I read. It was fun looking at ones at random, though, it was like those sweets that are all different flavours in the same bag – you have no idea what you’ll get next! :)

(Passover - I. Curtis)

1 September 2013
10.38pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
4353sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said
It was fun looking at ones at random, though, it was like those sweets that are all different flavours in the same bag – you have no idea what you’ll get next! :)

Exactly! (with the occasional dud — which for me would be a peppermint chocolate blue-meanie)

1 September 2013
11.16pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4354sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hate how the world is going with all this new improved option crap (normally meaning more expensive). I bought a set of computer speakers last week, new updates on what was a damn good pair initially. For some unknown reason they came with a subwoofer!! Why the heck do a pair of computer/laptop speakers need a subwoofer, why do I need a subwoofer, what is a subwoofer anyway, and why cant the bass be in the small speakers so I don’t have to hunk these around the house in a wheelbarrow?

I’m in one of my frames of mind tonight where the world openly baffles and irritates me. 

2 September 2013
3.45am
Gerard
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 683
4355sp_Permalink sp_Print

Normal speakers cannot make the booming bass sounds because it is not within their range. The subwoofer however is devoted to the lowest range.

2 September 2013
12.00pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4356sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gerell said
Normal speakers cannot make the booming bass sounds because it is not within their range. The subwoofer however is devoted to the lowest range.

Why is that important in a set of portable laptop speakers which makes then not very portable in the slightest?

2 September 2013
5.23pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
4357sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m wondering what this forum would be like if this were the year 1965?

2 September 2013
5.43pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
4358sp_Permalink sp_Print

I personally do not like booming or murky or thumping or powerful bass.  I much prefer my bass to sound “trebly”, yet still very deep.

2 September 2013
9.14pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4359sp_Permalink sp_Print

David Jacobs, a radio broadcaster with the BBC, has died at the age of 87. Among the many bows of his career was Juke Box Jury which the Beatles appeared on as a group on the 7th December 1963, and 3 individually (tho with other guests): John on the 22nd June 1963; George 27th July 1964; and Ringo 1st August 1964 (recorded on the same day as George’s which was broadcast live). 

No footage of the Beatles appearance is known to exist but audio does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..1sGsktUNxc

2 September 2013
10.03pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1807
4360sp_Permalink sp_Print

cbatcu said
I’m wondering what this forum would be like if this were the year 1965?

I’ve wondered things like that, too: “What would our lives be like if Pepper or The White Album didn’t exist yet?”

Putting aside the fact that this forum couldn’t exist if it were 1965, I think more forum members would be teenagers, and when a new album came out, the forum members would discuss it more excitedly than we do (imagine their reactions to Pepper!). Maybe they would read into things even more than we do. Also, there might be more forum members in general, considering that the number of Beatles fans has decreased since 1965.

Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy, Ravioli, Eggroll Eggrolli...

~witty quote~

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24963, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694