Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
7 June 2013
8.28pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4181sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said
I haven’t used it, so don’t know how simple it is, but Lightworks got a very good review recently on BBC Click, and is available in free and pro versions.

http://www.lwks.com/

Thank you. Just got to figure out how to use it.

Have discovered the most delicious dark chocolate – Co-op Fairtrade Ghanaian Dark Chocolate with Spices and Orange Oil made with 98% dark chocolate. Absolutely delicious.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 June 2013
8.30pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4182sp_Permalink sp_Print

LongHairedLady said

fabfouremily said
Did you go to Cavendish Ave while you were at AR?

Oh man.  I know a girl on Facebook who used to live here but has moved to London permanently (she was just travelling around before).  Instantly I became jealous of how incredibly higher her chances of meeting Paul McCartney are compared to mine, which are basically zero.  I would probably be such a stalker and hang around Cavendish all the time.  I mean, he still owns that house!  

LHL, Just dont go to Cavensish when he is away on tour around the world – unless you plan on inspiring a sequel to She Came In Through The Bathroom Window .

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 June 2013
9.35pm
bikelock28
Standing There
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 228
4183sp_Permalink sp_Print

LongHairedLady said

fabfouremily said
Did you go to Cavendish Ave while you were at AR?

Oh man. I know a girl on Facebook who used to live here but has moved to London permanently (she was just travelling around before). Instantly I became jealous of how incredibly higher her chances of meeting Paul McCartney are compared to mine, which are basically zero. I would probably be such a stalker and hang around Cavendish all the time. I mean, he still owns that house!

Me and a friend once loitered outside Cav Av for about an hour and a half in the vague hope that we’d meet someone even remotely to do with Paul…we saw absolutely nobody.a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Glad you enjoyed London so much, Linde- you were so lucky with the weather! a-hard-days-night-george-10

"I don't think we were actually swimming, as it were, with shirts on, 'cos we always wear overcoats when we're swimming,"-

George Harrison, Australia, June 1964

7 June 2013
9.53pm
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
4184sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
LHL, Just dont go to Cavensish when he is away on tour around the world – unless you plan on inspiring a sequel to She Came In Through The Bathroom Window .

Cha!  I’d have to be a super-stalker and know where in the world he is at that time….  which I already kinda do..

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

8 June 2013
12.54pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
4185sp_Permalink sp_Print

fabfouremily said
Glad you had a good time, despite the little things. I thought I told you how expensive London is. They’re always going to take advantage of the fact that it’s the capital and lot’s of tourists will pay ridiculous priced regardless of just how ridiculous. Did you go to Cavendish Ave while you were at AR?

I think Germans sound a little angrier than Dutch but, if you don’t know the language, it does sound much the same to you. Maybe if you didn’t speak English you wouldn’t be able to recognise if that person is English, Welsh, whatever. It’s just the same, I guess. My parents have some good friends how are Dutch and they get so tired, and absolutely hate it when people say ”are you German”? Noo!!

Yeah in Amsterdam things are more expensive than where I live too so I guess you’re right. Nope didn’t go there. I didn’t even know where it was and I couldn’t be too bothered standing around someone’s house. 

It does, German may sound similar but it’s a very different language. We became very tired too. And the strange thing is that it seemed as if everyone hated Germans, because when we told everyone we were Dutch they immediately started to treat us in a different way. A better way. 

And yes we were very lucky with the weather! It was great to do so much walking and to visit some parks too.

8 June 2013
4.27pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
4186sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 There is still quite a lot of bitterness towards the Germans, unfortunately, no reason to say why, of course. I think most people are beginning to accept that it was/is not down to everyone who happens to have been born in Germany. Some people like to have a reason to feel hatred, I think, and it seems German people are an easy target.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

8 June 2013
5.26pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
4187sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yep it’s ridiculous. As if some 19 year old girl can help what happened during the 2 world wars.  And I’m not even German, which makes it even more stupid. People treated us different because they ASSUMED we were German because Dutch sounds ”kind of” similar. My mom said most Londoners weren’t very sympathetic anyway, but I think it just depends on the person and not the size of the city, because in the little town I live in, there are enough unfriendly people so that has nothing to do with it.

8 June 2013
10.28pm
bikelock28
Standing There
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 228
4188sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Did you really get any of than xenophobic crap? I honestly thought that people in the UK weren’t like that anymore (or at least, only crazy people or 14-year-old boys who think they’re funny but really don’t know anything about anything). Even the old people I know who lived through the wars don’t blame Germans- why would they? 

I’m surprised and sad that you met anyone that bitter :(

"I don't think we were actually swimming, as it were, with shirts on, 'cos we always wear overcoats when we're swimming,"-

George Harrison, Australia, June 1964

8 June 2013
11.19pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
4189sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was quite surprised too. Before going there I never even thought that it could happen. Over here we don’t treat German people different (though you get the occasional grumble from people who actually lived during the war or wars). Anyway, it was not like all Londoners treated us like shit, hope people don’t think it was like that. It’s just that some people did. And I still think it’s weird.

9 June 2013
4.35am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
4190sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde, don’t tell me the Dutch don’t have their prejudices too, against French perhaps, and Germans, etc.  Seems like every country has them.  Nobody is free of them.  Better to just be honest about it, no?

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

9 June 2013
12.44pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
4191sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, in her case there’s no reason for it because she’s Dutch – not German. We have absolutely nothing against Holland, it’s Germany I’ve found (as has Linde) that some people are still a bit cautious of or insulting to. Also, there’s a difference between acknowledging that you have problems with a certain country or it’s people (which is still wrong imo), and being so blunt about it. In that case, you’re openly accepting that you’re a narrow-minded person stuck in a previous era, and proving that you have no problem with being so.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

9 June 2013
4.58pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
4192sp_Permalink sp_Print

Of course Dutch have their prejudices too! Not so much against French, but mostly against Turks and Maroccans. And a bit against Germans, well, some people do. It’s not like most Dutch people hate Germans. I agree with what Emily says. And I think that, especially when you work in a shop or a restaurant, you CAN’T treat people differently just because they are, for example, German (or in our case, when you THINK they are German, which is a bit stupid). I mean, they should be thankful we buy something there. We are customers too and we have every right to go there, just as much as British people or Africans or French or any kind of people. I always thought it’s ridiculous to treat people in a different way because of their race or ethnicity. Those people didn’t know anything about us, I mean, they couldn’t even figure we were Dutch and not actually German, yet they treat us like that. I could understand it if it was something personal, if we had been annoying or rude or if they couldn’t really understand us, but that was not the case at all.

Anyway, now it sounds as if it was really big, as if they were really bullying us and were being really mean or something, while it wasn’t THAT big. It was just that they weren’t very nice or helpful until we told them we were Dutch.

9 June 2013
5.44pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
4193sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad London was good overall, Linde. As for the British and the Germans, while I’m surprised there was any unfriendliness because they thought you might be German – silly people everywhere unfortunately, the war is only a small part of it however, they also have a habit of knocking us out of football competitions with penalty shoot-outs!

Sad to note that author Iain (M.) Banks, who announced at the beginning of April that he had lost his battle against gall-bladder cancer and had six months at most to live, died today. He faced his end with dignity, and I am glad to learn that he got to see a copy of his final novel a few days ago. It’s going to be a sad book to read knowing that there will be no more.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

9 June 2013
5.46pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1807
4194sp_Permalink sp_Print

Never heard of him… still, RIP, Iain.

Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy, Ravioli, Eggroll Eggrolli...

~witty quote~

10 June 2013
1.23am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
4195sp_Permalink sp_Print

Re: prejudices against nations and/or peoples, what galls me is when there’s one group against which everyone (or nearly everyone) is allowed to show egregious (if not sometimes outrageous) snideness and denigrating stereotypes and generalizations, and nobody complains.  Meanwhile, they go on and on about how it’s bad to indulge in stereotypes and generalizations.  Oy vey…!

I speak, of course, of the nearly ubiquitous, universal prejudice against Americans.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

13 June 2013
5.03pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4196sp_Permalink sp_Print

Forgot my internet banking password so went to reset it. To do so i got a reference number which i needed and had to phone the bank. The automated telephone system asked for my bank and card numbers so hung up, got them and redail starting over again. I eventually got put thru to a human who wanted to verify my details and in the name of safety i had to regive all the previous details as well as know what i was doing on the 4th June with my bank card – I dont even know where i was on the 4th June never mind what i used my bank card for. Knowing what i used my card for last Saturday was not acceptable even tho it was acknowledged as correct.

So after all of that i have 3 options. Either wait for a security number to come in the post within 5 days and phone them back. Wait for a security letter to come in the post which i sign and send back which will probably take a week. Go up the bank with photo id and do it from there.

All for the sake of 1 forgotten password.

Internet banking – making banking easier for you.a-hard-days-night-paul-11blue-meanie

13 June 2013
11.30pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
4197sp_Permalink sp_Print

I thought it was just my bank being that ridiculous!

My bank is almost the same, only when something like that happens, I get both a letter AND have to go to the bank with my ID and the letter.

14 June 2013
7.36pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
4198sp_Permalink sp_Print

Shouldn’t it be a good thing they’re like that, and is it really that difficult to drive to the bank?

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

15 June 2013
6.38am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
4199sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don’t feed the troll…… 

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

15 June 2013
8.18pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4200sp_Permalink sp_Print

The latest ‘new Beatles’ have been crowned by the media the bbc report – some band called The Strypes, who deny they are. Is this really a story and not just free publicity?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691