Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
19 May 2013
2.50am
YesterdayTomorrowForever
St Peters Church
Guests
Forum Posts: 15
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4101sp_Permalink sp_Print

What’s Eurovision?

19 May 2013
3.06am
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5457
4102sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s kind of a yearly pop-song video contest involving European musical talent. I believe it dates back to the ’60s, if not earlier.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

19 May 2013
3.07am
YesterdayTomorrowForever
St Peters Church
Guests
4103sp_Permalink sp_Print

Seems interesting. Is there a way to watch it in the US?

19 May 2013
3.13am
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members
4104sp_Permalink sp_Print

No idea, I’m in Canada and I’ve never seen it! The only winning song I can name offhand is Abba’s “Waterloo”.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

19 May 2013
3.15am
YesterdayTomorrowForever
St Peters Church
Guests
4105sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, okay.

19 May 2013
8.59am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
4106sp_Permalink sp_Print

The UK normally get thrashed. Some put it down to tactical block voting, others to the rubbish we enter.

On another note read in the build-up to saturdays event that in 1977 Sweden entered a song called Beatles to appeal to the UK audience as it was held in London. The plan failed and they ended up with two points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..rocJBaoUik

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

19 May 2013
12.28pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

Oh Lord, Ireland did awful :/ Last for the 2nd time in 6 years and our song was a lot better then some countries. Sweden, Finland and Denmark each gave each other 12 points WHY ISN’T IRELAND NEXT TO ANY COUNTRY paul-mccartney Oh and to all UK biblers thanks for the one point, we gave you 5 for your awful song!!! *Rant over* Oh and Linde you’re going to love this; I wanted Azerbaijan to win a-hard-days-night-george-10

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

19 May 2013
12.44pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
4108sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maybe the fact that the UK is in the middle of the sea explains why we are always near the bottom. I can’t say it’s because our entry was bad because all the entries are bad. Some a little less than others but they’re all bad. I couldn’t care less if we win or not though, really.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

19 May 2013
3.37pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
4109sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah it dates back to 1956! They also showed footage of that time. Voting was a real struggle back then.

It always surprises me the UK usually enters crap. This is the country where most of my favourite bands come from, yet I can’t remember when I heard a good entry for the Eurovision for the last time. I think Bonnie didn’t really do a good job and maaaan she looked horrible. Fucked up facelift much?

Well, we didn’t have much luck with the votes either. We might be close to the UK, next to Germany and above Belgium, but I think the UK gave us 2 points or so, Germany gave us none and Belgium did give us 12. 

I thought or entry was good. At least we had a proper song and not some cheesy ”powerballad” about being there for each other til the end or whatever. It might have been a bit depressive but I thought it was good. We sent one of out best artists too and not some one hit wonder.

I reaaaaally didn’t want Azerbaidjan to win. It won 2 years ago already and I just think it’s lame and then you just know that next year some East European country will win again. Nah I’m content with Denmark.

19 May 2013
10.53pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
4110sp_Permalink sp_Print

The UK entry was dreadful (ive heard it thru once and a long clip in the news today). The lyrics are terrible, the tune is cringeful and Bonnie looked a mess. What is there left to vote for?

Last decent Eurovision song? Abba in ’74 with Waterloo? What else is there? Brotherhood of Man, whoever it was who sang Love Shine A Light, Making Your Mind Up? The entries are terrible and the UK generally treats it as a joke. The only part I generally watch are the results but this year i gave up early on and went for a walk.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

20 May 2013
3.26pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
4111sp_Permalink sp_Print

The results were annoying. Just give those damn points instead of telling us a whole story about how amazing your entry and the presenter are in very bad English. What also annoyed me was that all French speaking countries spoke in French. Just speak English like everyone else does for God sake!

20 May 2013
9.11pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
4112sp_Permalink sp_Print

Me and my mom were trying to work out why the presenter always says the points in French when the different countries say what they’re giving to their neighbouring countries. Anyone know?

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

20 May 2013
9.30pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Since it started in 1956, each jury must announce the countries they are voting for and the votes in either English or French. The presenter then repeats in the language not being used by the jury. You notice the English to French translation more than the French to English translation because the French to English translation is the one you need.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

20 May 2013
9.30pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
4114sp_Permalink sp_Print

French is the official language of the Eurovision along with English, I believe.

20 May 2013
10.33pm
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
4115sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just for the record, Canada is not a half French speaking country like it’s lead to be.  It’s only the east side that is.  I’m in BC and for the most part we could care less over here.  a-hard-days-night-paul-11

Nobody said this I’m just saying because it’s common for others to think that.  French is on everything here, it has to be to be legally sold I believe.  I’ll to go buy something and be like, “WTF is…  OH, it’s the wrong side.”  ahdn_paul_01

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

20 May 2013
10.53pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members

Speaking of French-Canadian speakers, there is a girl called Elodie from Quebec who is a voice on the French state exams in Ireland. She possibly has the MOST ANNOYING squeakiest voice in the world and she is on the CD every year! If I ever meet her in person…grrr I hate her!!!

20 May 2013
11.06pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Sad news. It is just breaking that Ray Manzarek, founder member of, and keyboard player with, The Doors has died today in Germany from lung cancer. One of rock’s originators, what we listen to today was greatly influenced by what he and the other three achieved.

“I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today,” said Doors guitarist Robby Krieger. “I’m just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him.”

RIP, Ray. Thank you for the music.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

21 May 2013
3.08am
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members
4118sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aw man, that’s too bad. Ray was kinda insufferable whenever he got to reminiscing about Jim Morrison and the ’60s, maaan, but I still love the Doors and his contributions to their sound. The albums he produced for the band X were great, too.

RIP

21 May 2013
6.24pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
4119sp_Permalink sp_Print

More sad news :(

RIP Ray

(Passover - I. Curtis)

21 May 2013
6.33pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1807
4120sp_Permalink sp_Print

RIP, Ray heart

Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy, Ravioli, Eggroll Eggrolli...

~witty quote~

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694