The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 198 | All together now | Fab forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
8 April 2013
1.03pm
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 9298

Baroness Margaret Thatcher, former UK Prime Minister for 11 years from 1979 – 1990, has died aged 87, she was the first Female Prime Minister in the UK. I knew she had been ill but im shocked by this.

Note: I know her time in Government is a controversial subject and im not looking for a debate, i dont have a side.

"Well, probably we'll sell less records, less people'll go to see the film, we'll write less songs, and we'll all die of failure" (John Lennon 8/64)
8 April 2013
3.17pm
Ron Nasty
"Where have you been?" "I'm not telling you..."
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2975

My teenage years and early-20s were partly defined by the fact they happened whilst Margaret Thatcher was in power. I disagreed with much of what she stood for and did, but the downside of her time in power is something for tomorrow and the history books. She is somebody deserving respect. Few politicians have such an impact not only on their country but also on the world. The tributes she is receiving, from those who agreed and disagreed with her, from those who supported and opposed her, are fitting. Her like is rarely seen.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty
8 April 2013
10.24pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1947

I had no idea she was ill. I didn't even know she was still alive. Tbh I didn't really know that much about her except that she was Prime Minister for a while and that her nickname was The Iron Lady.

And I do know she was not loved, but the comments I'm reading online go too far, they're practically dancing on her grave!

8 April 2013
10.41pm
meanmistermustard

Thatcher divided opinion very strongly. Scotland is one place where a lot of people hated her, and the Tories, for what they did in the 80's; Glasgow City Council are urging people not to gather in George Square to party. The Conservatives in Scotland are still detested with a fierce hatred and passion by many, i believe they have one seat in Dumfries and Galloway, and that was was a gain of 1 in the last Election. One of the threats to keeping Scotland in the UK is if the Conservatives completely balls up how they act towards Scotland in the next 18 months to the big vote.

I never celebrate when anyone dies, no matter who - I know that a few folk might not get that when thinking of a few historical figures.

"Well, probably we'll sell less records, less people'll go to see the film, we'll write less songs, and we'll all die of failure" (John Lennon 8/64)
9 April 2013
3.43pm
bikelock28
Standing There
Carnegie Hall
Forum Posts: 230

I had no idea she was ill. I didn't even know she was still alive

To be honest, she'd been dying for ages and she was never in the news so that's entirely understandable.

I wasn't around for Thatcherism but I disagree with most of her policies, although that's with the benefit of hindsight.

I think it so random that she died in the Ritz. I know she was staying there since she got out of hospital, but it still seems a bizaare place to die.

"I don't think we were actually swimming, as it were, with shirts on, 'cos we always wear overcoats when we're swimming,"-

George Harrison, Australia, June 1964

9 April 2013
5.21pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3409

Since her government shut down the mining industry in the 80s there are communities here in south Wales that never recovered. She sold off public utilities to private companies, sold off council homes at discounted rates which caused a continuing shortage of social housing, widened the gap between rich and poor, doubled unemployment and increased child poverty. She didn't believe in society, just the advancement of personal wealth and to hell with the less fortunate. It's a shame that successive governments didn't reverse her changes, and this current lot seem hell bent on dismantling the state even further.

Thatcher's ministers even considered abandoning Liverpool after the Toxteth riots and leaving it to "managed decline". Shocking. I hate the Conservative Party and everything they stand for.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

9 April 2013
6.10pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2927

I think that although she did some good for the country, she worsened some situations and even created new ones imo so I wouldn't call myself Thatcher's biggest fan but I wouldn't have a kind of ''party'' that I saw on the news this morning. It's sick. Whatever your political views, to celebrate somebody's death in that way is just plain wrong.

''We're just knocked out. We heard about the sell out. You gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people. We're so happy we can hardly count.''

9 April 2013
8.04pm
meanmistermustard

Doesnt matter what happens in my life, i will never vote for the Conservatives. And yes that is a political statement.

9 April 2013
8.19pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3409

Nye Bevan, 4 July 1948: "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party that inflicted those bitter experiences on me. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin."

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

9 April 2013
10.27pm
meanmistermustard

Did a Beatle search on BBC iplayer (a good way to see whats coming up or just gone by) and saw that Paul Gambaccini was doing Beatles in his latest show (he usually does but i never listen to it) so had a look to see what. Turns out he was playing I Want You (She's So Heavy). Hearing that on the radio is a novelty and begs the question was it all played so had a scan thru and the answer was, unsurprisingly, no. Irritates me when radio stations dont play songs the whole way thru – if you cant fit in the whole song play something else. Films and tv shows arent cut off before the final part is played. You dont go to the threatre and find the last scene ends before its meant to or the leading star stars talking over it with random nonsense. Shut up and let it end. 

9 April 2013
10.47pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop

I hate when that happens too! They often stop the songs because otherwise they can't make it in time with the news, but before the news there's a shitload of commercials first. In that time they could've played the whole goddamn song and still have a few commercials. 

It sucks they did that with I want you (she's so heavy), as the last part is the best part of the song.

I wish I had happy or fun news to share, but I don't. Boring life.

10 April 2013
3.18am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1665

Linde said 

I wish I had happy or fun news to share, but I don't. Boring life.

Happy or fun… hmm… yeah, not much in that department for me, either. I mean, I crashed my bike into a tree and then accidentally started going up a hill, only to begin going backwards down the hill quickly and uncontrollably… but that's not really happy or fun, is it?  paul-mccartney blue-meanie a-hard-days-night-george-10

Do you want to know a secret? Read my username backwards. ~ ~ ~ - - - . . . - - - ~ ~ ~ Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy...

☮ & <3

10 April 2013
5.38am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1873

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Aww!  Hope you're okay!  a-hard-days-night-george-10

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

11 April 2013
1.15am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

Yeah, I'm fine. It was kinda fun, actually. a-hard-days-night-george-10

Do you want to know a secret? Read my username backwards. ~ ~ ~ - - - . . . - - - ~ ~ ~ Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy...

☮ & <3

11 April 2013
11.41pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop

Sounds like something that could happen in animation series haha

We're having resits for tests this week, and today I was going to resit Geography and I had studied sooo hard and so I was cycling to the trainstation and all of a sudden I started having the worst cramps ever (no not the monthly problem) and then I started sweating and feeling like I had to vomit and all and then it hit me that I HAD to turn around and go home. So I came home half crying because of the pain and haven't left the couch since (except for now, I'm in bed now) but it was so ridiculous because I haven't eaten anything weird, I have eaten the exact same things as my mom today and she didn't have any pains. 

Anyway, as you can imagine I was quite dissapointed and frustrated that I couldn't resit my test, as I had studied like a madman for it. :(

Fun thing is I'm going to a theme park with a friend on Sunday and the entrance is free since she works there and can take a few friends for free. I like that. I wish I had more friends like that ghehe.

12 April 2013
2.09am
Ron Nasty
"Where have you been?" "I'm not telling you..."
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2975

Sounds a bit like an anxiety attack. I get them myself at times and they can be a total bee-atch. Creeping up all unexpected and not making any real sense. It was one of the reasons I started using a form of meditation a couple of years ago.

Hope you feel better soon and enjoy yourself on Sunday.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty
12 April 2013
3.28am
unknown
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1233

Egroeg Evoli said 
Happy or fun… hmm… yeah, not much in that department for me, either. I mean, I crashed my bike into a tree and then accidentally started going up a hill, only to begin going backwards down the hill quickly and uncontrollably… but that's not really happy or fun, is it?  paul-mccartney blue-meanie a-hard-days-night-george-10

Did you fall off when you hit the tree? I used to crash into things on my bike all the time when I was little because I wasn't very good at turning for a while. Hope you didn't hurt yourself too much, Egroeg! a-hard-days-night-george-10

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit
12 April 2013
1.41pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop

mja6758 said
Sounds a bit like an anxiety attack. I get them myself at times and they can be a total bee-atch. Creeping up all unexpected and not making any real sense. It was one of the reasons I started using a form of meditation a couple of years ago.

Hope you feel better soon and enjoy yourself on Sunday.

I don't think it is, I'm still in pain right now so if it was anxiety it would be gone by now, wouldn't it? Hmm meditation? That has always sounded very interesting to me, I think I'll read into it a bit more..

YAY. Sunday it'll be 21 degrees celsius or so. Finally Spring is arriving..

13 April 2013
7.24am
Gerell
Philippines, the country which no Beatle would dare to perform again.
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 682

Dry Season here, temperatures reaching 38 degrees Celsius  I don't know why people here complain when temperatures rise, it's only by 3 degrees Celsius  we normally get 30-35 degrees Celsius when it's the other season. We only have two seasons here, dry and wet lol. Honestly I want to move to a place with a temperature of 10-20 degrees Celsius.

"And in the End the Love you take is equal to the Love you make"
"When I was a robber *Piano Chord* in Boston Place"
"Let's hope this turns out pretty darn good huh"
"Pete may be the best, but Ringo is the star"
Paul:"Don't be nervous John"
John:"I 'm not"
13 April 2013
6.31pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

unknown said

Egroeg Evoli said 

Did you fall off when you hit the tree? I used to crash into things on my bike all the time when I was little because I wasn't very good at turning for a while. Hope you didn't hurt yourself too much, Egroeg! a-hard-days-night-george-10

No, luckily, I didn't fall off. Crashing into the tree was what made me go up the hill. I was in some sort of crazed panicky state and I was trying to get away from the tree, and I started going up the hill, but I wasn't pedaling enough to get up the hill, so I went down instead. Quite embarrassing, actually.

paul-mccartney  :D

☮ & <3

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Zig, Father McCartney, Annadog40, MrMoonlight, Beatleva, Bulldog
62 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 9297

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

parlance: 4926

mithveaen: 4651

Ahhh Girl: 4561

Zig: 3733

Annadog40: 3694

Mr. Kite: 3303

Ron Nasty: 2975

fabfouremily: 2927

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 2523

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3173

Newest Members: HAWAIIBEATLESFAN, all8daysaweek, batbear, mal evans, Kimbo

Moderators: Ahhh Girl (4561), meanmistermustard (9297), Zig (3733), Joe (3409)

Administrators: Joe (3409), Ellie (1)

Members Birthdays
Today: hermajesty
Upcoming: Filipe