The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 194 | Fab Forum

Introducing the inaugural Fab Forum February Fundraiser! Click here for more details.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
No permission to create posts
13 March 2013
6.52pm
Ron Nasty
"Where have you been?" "I'm not telling you..."
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4917
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3862sp_Permalink

I say it! To quote myself "Has Paul ever used James outside of one TV special?" Paul had a 70s TV special called "James Paul McCartney". So your PS ignored what I had already said!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

13 March 2013
7.33pm
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2093
3863sp_Permalink

mja6758 said
I say it! To quote myself "Has Paul ever used James outside of one TV special?" Paul had a 70s TV special called "James
Paul McCartney". So your PS ignored what I had already said!

Quite right.  Though the larger context reveals a pointless rhetorical question on your part.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
14 March 2013
2.05am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2093
14 March 2013
11.52am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
14 March 2013
2.31pm
vonbontee
Inside an Apple Orchard in a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2810
3870sp_Permalink

All together now, "The pope smokes dope/God gave him the grass/The pope smokes dope, he likes to smoke in mass"

I remember George saying 'Blimey, he's always talking about “Yesterday”, you'd think he was Beethoven or somebody' - Paul McCartney

15 March 2013
10.47am
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2627
3874sp_Permalink

mja6758 said
Glad the credit card option seems it's going to work out.

Couple of points to make.

Joe wasn't recommending Paul's old house. Cavendish Avenue, a five-ten minute walk from Abbey Road, is the only London home Paul has ever owned. He still owns it. The last time it featured in the news was when he and Nancy left it as he and Linda had years earlier to get married at the same Registry Office. If Paul is in London for the night, that's where he is.

Public transport in London. It can be very expensive. At your earliest opportunity, what you need to do is either get a seven-day travelcard (the shortest time period available) or an Oyster Card. I don't know the exact difference nowadays because I have been on free travel due to illness the past couple of years, The last time I had to pay for travel, non-Oyster travel added about a pound to each journey. A travelcard is probably your best option, but paying for transport as you get on it is your worst, and most expensive. Travelcards and Oyster cover all main London public transport. Tubes (metro), buses, and trains. All are between 50%-100% more expensive without.

Hope you have a great stay.

Aaaah! So I could just accidentally bump into Paul.

Okay, I'm now googling what they both are exactly, but there are so many websites with different stuff so I'll just ask here. Which is better, Travelcard or Oystercard? Also, where do you get one?

Thank for all the tips guys, you're really helping me out here.

15 March 2013
8.53pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
20 March 2013
9.00pm
bikelock28
Standing There
Carnegie Hall
Forum Posts: 230
3877sp_Permalink

I think bikelock is from London, if I remember correctly, though I don't know if she'll know anything about it either tho. Maybe PM her? Good luck

Yup, a true Cockney!

For places to stay, there's a Youth Hostel near St Paul's, that's probably pretty cheap.

Wimpole Street, where Paul lived with Jane Asher, is near Oxford Street. You should definitely do the museums- British Museum in Holborn and Museum of London in The City are the best IMO. I think the V & A is a bit posh, but that's probably just me. Science Museum is good, especially if you're going with kids (I'm assuming you're not, though). British Library near King's Cross is also very cool. The National Gallery is a good place to hang round if you’re at a loose end (in other words- its free).

Joe's right about the East End, it’s the place to be. You can get tours around the Olympic Park, too.

The City is very pretty because it has old 17th-centruy architecture. The South bank is also really nice, it’s opposite Big Ben and the London Eye is there, there’s a lot of mime artists and street entertainers.

Nightlife-wise, Shoreditch and Soho are the best. Soho is a predominantly gay area with lots of cool music shops, but Joe's right when he says its a bit seedy. Shoreditch is often full of students and hipsters but its OK. Concert venues are the O2 in Greenwich and the Hammersmith Odeon. They're both pretty expensive- the O2 is bigger and any did there will be pretty phenonmenal. West End theatres are great- lastminute.com is the place to go for cheap tickets.

Other advice:

Watch out for pigeons- they have no shame or fear. Bring a map. Stand on the right-hand side of the escalator. If in doubt, stick to the Central Line (that’s the red one). Don’t bring a massive rucksack on the Tube.  Try to avoid eye contact with anyone. Under no circumstances should you start a conversation with anybody, especially on public transport.

a-hard-days-night-george-10

"I don't think we were actually swimming, as it were, with shirts on, 'cos we always wear overcoats when we're swimming,"-

George Harrison, Australia, June 1964

22 March 2013
9.20pm
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 17114

Liking the amazon.co.uk 1963 homage to Please Please Me's 50th anniversary. Very cool.

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Necko, fishcane, Merch, ewe2
61 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 17110

Ahhh Girl: 10708

Annadog40: 9656

Zig: 7531

parlance: 7092