The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 191 | All together now | Fab forum

A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
6 March 2013
3.30am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1672

Oh, good, it's fixed.

Do you want to know a secret? Read my username backwards. ~ ~ ~ - - - . . . - - - ~ ~ ~ Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy...

☮ & <3

6 March 2013
10.04am
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1777

mja6758 said

Yay! I'm back to only having one Egroeg Evoli currently online! Five would be too hard to handle!

They're all imposters! Look at the spelling of the name:

Strange. According to the Currently Online bit at the bottom of the page, it seems members currently online are:
Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, mja6758, LongHairedLady!

I like black music, disco music. I like the disco music that's out now - John Lennon, 1975
6 March 2013
10.19am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1696

On "einmal so" I stumbled across a rather cheesy German pop singer named "Monique" who has a rather cheesy pop song she sings in a video called "Einmal so, Einmal so".

I think the appropriate ejaculation at this point would be "lol".

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
6 March 2013
9.07pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1494

Funny Paper said
Thanks to all the responders to my question about "einmal so".  I think however that some phrases are colloquial and are not literally translatable.  My suspicion is that "einmal so" means something like "that's the way it is".  It comes as the climax to the emphatic line which I tentatively translate as --

"In your arms I feel happy and gay,

With another that would never ever be this way (the way that it is)."

-- but I could be horribly wrong.

''In your arms I feel happy and gay

With anyone else it hasn't been that way (yet)'' (the yet is supposed to be there but I put it between brackets, because otherwise it wouldn't rhymeahdn_ringo_09 )

Properly translated it's probably: ''It hasn't been that way/like that with anyone else yet''

6 March 2013
9.14pm
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1696

Thanks Linde, that makes more sense.  I think you could even make the "yet" a "once" -- as in "not once" = "never".  Also you could put the "yet" or "once" earlier in the sentence and still keep the "way" at the end.

''In your arms I feel happy and gay

With anyone else it hasn't yet been that way''

Or even:

With anyone else it hasn't ever been that way''

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
6 March 2013
9.18pm
Ron Nasty
"Where have you been?" "I'm not telling you..."
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2542

vonbontee said

mja6758 said

Yay! I'm back to only having one Egroeg Evoli currently online! Five would be too hard to handle!

Strange. According to the Currently Online bit at the bottom of the page, it seems members currently online are:
Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, mja6758, LongHairedLady!

Oops! Seems I goofed with my spelling there. I always have to think hard with Egroeg's name.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty
6 March 2013
9.30pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop

Haha, I just assumed it was a result of the same bug that generated five of them in the first place!

I like black music, disco music. I like the disco music that's out now - John Lennon, 1975
6 March 2013
10.55pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

mja6758 said

vonbontee said

mja6758 said

Oops! Seems I goofed with my spelling there. I always have to think hard with Egroeg's name.

Would it be easier if I changed it to asdojwefnodj2324265uhfjsnsjfnjnfjnaf?

Do you want to know a secret? Read my username backwards. ~ ~ ~ - - - . . . - - - ~ ~ ~ Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy...

☮ & <3

6 March 2013
11.03pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Egroeg Evoli said

mja6758 said

vonbontee said

mja6758 said

Definitely not! I like your name. The spelling doesn't come easy in my head though, and I have to think about it when I'm using it, because I'm thinking it's George backwards and working it out as I go along. Really ought to add it to spellchecker and then I'd know when I got it wrong.

6 March 2013
11.06pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

mja6758 said

Egroeg Evoli said

mja6758 said

vonbontee said

mja6758 said

Definitely not! I like your name. The spelling doesn't come easy in my head though, and I have to think about it when I'm using it, because I'm thinking it's George backwards and working it out as I go along. Really ought to add it to spellchecker and then I'd know when I got it wrong.

Thanks! :)

This conversation has made me curious about something: How do you pronounce my name?

☮ & <3

6 March 2013
11.09pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Eg-roeg E-voli, or Evo-li. Not that I have ever needed to pronounce it.

7 March 2013
6.30am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

This statement is false.

a-hard-days-night-george-10

EDIT: In case anyone is confused, I mean the statement in this post, not the post above.

☮ & <3

7 March 2013
6.41am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Egroeg Evoli said
This statement is false.

a-hard-days-night-george-10

EDIT: In case anyone is confused, I mean the statement in this post, not the post above.

But which statement is false, your first, or your edit?

7 March 2013
11.59am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Highly respected British jazz musician Kenny Ball has passed away at the age of 82. Though his main success was in the UK, where he charted 14 Top 50 hits (the most by any jazz artist), he was a highly regarded Dixieland trumpeter the world over. He and his Jazzmen were also one of the few British acts to enjoy American chart success pre-Beatles, reaching No. 2 in the Billboard chart in March 1962 with Midnight in Moscow. The following year he became the first British jazz musician to be made an honorary citizen of New Orleans. He worked until the end, his last performance being in Manchester just fifteen days ago, fittingly with two of the other giants of British jazz, Acker Bilk and Chris Barber. He will be sadly missed.

7 March 2013
2.24pm
unknown
ay, qué pesado
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1215

That's was. I think we do have a croakers thread, but this is no time to be sad. Cheer up, mja! Death is the greatest part of one'livers, and 82 is.A nice age. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit
7 March 2013
3.04pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

unknown said
That's was. I think we do have a croakers thread, but this is no time to be sad. Cheer up, mja! Death is the greatest part of one'livers, and 82 is.A nice age. 

I really don't know what to say to this. "That's was." What does that mean? Nowhere in my post do I say "is". "I think we do have a croakers thread," yes, and I think if you look back through this thread, disrespectful as I think your "croakers" is, this is the "croakers" thread. Occasionally someone will get their own thread, but here is where deaths are generally mentioned. To feel sorrow at someone's death, and to commemorate it, is no bad thing. What gives you the idea I need to "cheer up"? Was there anything in my marking the death of an important musician that hinted I was feeling over-emotional about it? I noted his passing, commented on his achievements, and said he would be missed, that's all. Whatever your beliefs, it is good to mark the transition from one phase to another, and there is nothing wrong in expressing a measure of sadness at that.

7 March 2013
7.20pm
Ben Ramon
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 622

mja6758 said

unknown said

I really don't know what to say to this. "That's was." What does that mean? Nowhere in my post do I say "is". "I think we do have a croakers thread," yes, and I think if you look back through this thread, disrespectful as I think your "croakers" is, this is the "croakers" thread. Occasionally someone will get their own thread, but here is where deaths are generally mentioned. To feel sorrow at someone's death, and to commemorate it, is no bad thing. What gives you the idea I need to "cheer up"? Was there anything in my marking the death of an important musician that hinted I was feeling over-emotional about it? I noted his passing, commented on his achievements, and said he would be missed, that's all. Whatever your beliefs, it is good to mark the transition from one phase to another, and there is nothing wrong in expressing a measure of sadness at that.

Was this outburst really necessary? It's pretty obvious he was just trying to be nice.

SHUT UP - Paulie's talkin'
7 March 2013
8.43pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Ben Ramon said

Was this outburst really necessary? It's pretty obvious he was just trying to be nice.

I wanted to point out that this was the thread where deaths are mentioned, and that I found the term "croakers" a disrespectful way to refer to those who have died. Perhaps I should have kept my response less detailed and not gone into why I posted my comments on the passing of Kenny Ball, and my thoughts on commemorating death, but I didn't really see it as an "outburst", just a response. I apologise if it reads as an "outburst".

7 March 2013
9.45pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop

Damn, and just one day after the deaths of Alvin Lee and Canadian legend Stompin' Tom Connors.

Big R.I.P.s all around :(

7 March 2013
10.17pm
unknown
ay, qué pesado
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1215

unknown said That's was. I think we do have a croakers thread, but this is no time to be sad. Cheer up, mja! Death is the greatest part of one'livers, and 82 is.A nice age. 

That's was was supposed to be that's sad. I should turn the spellcheck off on my iPod because they never make any sense anyhow. I have only heard croak be used in a neutral type of way. Didn't know some people take offense at that word. I don't mind that people post deaths here, I was just saying that there is a thread for announcing deaths, if you found that more convenient or whatever to use it (though it doesn't make a difference to me if you do or not, and I can see how you would take that the wrong way). I felt like your post read very upsetingly, if you don't need to cheer up then don't. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit
Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: vonbontee, Zig, Linde, Expert Textpert, Ahhh Girl, Annadog40, ScrambledEggs, FLFIORE, MrMoonlight, Dr Winston o Boogie, Dirk McQuickly
61 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page: Linde
5 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
Today Mr Bellamy
Upcoming Joe

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 7234

mr. Sun king coming together: 6972

mithveaen: 4678

parlance: 3712

MeanMrsMustard: 2803

Ron Nasty: 2542

skye: 2295

IveJustSeenAFaceo: 2048

LongHairedLady: 1891

Von Bontee: 1855

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 2337

Moderators: 5

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 33

Topics: 3069

Newest Members: BeatleZak, Mast Paster, Stephen Merrick, happyfeetgroove, captaindiggity

Moderators: Ahhh Girl (3407), fabfouremily (2941), Zig (3312), Joe (3220), Ellie (1)

Administrators: Joe (3220)