The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 190 | All together now | Fab forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
3 March 2013
12.13pm
Ron Nasty
"Where have you been?" "I'm not telling you..."
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2942

fabfouremily said

Bambi's not a horse…

Yeah, that was a reference to the idea of (rein)deer.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty
3 March 2013
2.35pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2927

fabfouremily said

Bambi's not a horse…

Yeah, that was a reference to the idea of (rein)deer.

Oh, I get you.

''We're just knocked out. We heard about the sell out. You gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people. We're so happy we can hardly count.''

4 March 2013
3.07am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1665

I just found this. I don't know if I should put it somewhere else, but there is at least one Beatles reference in it. Who can find it? :)

Do you want to know a secret? Read my username backwards. ~ ~ ~ - - - . . . - - - ~ ~ ~ Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy...

☮ & <3

4 March 2013
3.32am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Oh Boy! Japan Surrenders front page. It's one view of the war!

4 March 2013
5.19pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1911

mja6758 said
I should, at this point, admit to being a complete barbarian. I have no problem with the idea of eating horse meat. Bambi's very tasty. I look at our teeth and say we are, by nature, an omnivore. I have at times been a vegetarian, dragged back constantly by the smell of bacon. I just choose to avoid low welfare production. I just want to know WHAT I'm eating! Is that too much to ask for? I'm not saying no to anything until I've tried it and found I don't like the taste, but give me the damn choice and don't trick me into eating it!

I agree and have to say I feel the same. It doesn't make any difference for me whether I eat horse meat, cow meat or pork meat. I never understood what was wrong with eating horse meat. Is it because they are cuter than pigs and cows? Or because they are ''noble animals'' (that's why my mom doesn't want to eat horses anyway)? I think that's bullshit. I do hate the idea of eating cats and dogs though, for some reason. They are just pets. Maybe that does make me a hypocrite and if it does, well, that's fine by me.

And yeah, I want to know WHAT I'm eating too. Food producers are just obligated to put the ingredients they used on the list on the package of the food. People have the right to know what they're eating, whether it's pork or sprayed slime.

Anyway, I had my job interview for the ice cream job this morning and it didn't go that well. I tried to be as bubbly and cheerful as possible, but I'm just introvert. He gave me some simple math to solve and that went well, because I'm really good at counting, but then he asked me something related to it and my mind went all blank, because of the nerves. And when I'm nervous I just start to ramble on and on. I'll hear it within 2 weeks or so, but I don't get my hopes up.

4 March 2013
5.45pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2927

Linde said

mja6758 said
I should, at this point, admit to being a complete barbarian. I have no problem with the idea of eating horse meat. Bambi's very tasty. I look at our teeth and say we are, by nature, an omnivore. I have at times been a vegetarian, dragged back constantly by the smell of bacon. I just choose to avoid low welfare production. I just want to know WHAT I'm eating! Is that too much to ask for? I'm not saying no to anything until I've tried it and found I don't like the taste, but give me the damn choice and don't trick me into eating it!

I agree and have to say I feel the same. It doesn't make any difference for me whether I eat horse meat, cow meat or pork meat. I never understood what was wrong with eating horse meat. Is it because they are cuter than pigs and cows? Or because they are ''noble animals'' (that's why my mom doesn't want to eat horses anyway)? I think that's bullshit. I do hate the idea of eating cats and dogs though, for some reason. They are just pets. Maybe that does make me a hypocrite and if it does, well, that's fine by me.

And yeah, I want to know WHAT I'm eating too. Food producers are just obligated to put the ingredients they used on the list on the package of the food. People have the right to know what they're eating, whether it's pork or sprayed slime.

Anyway, I had my job interview for the ice cream job this morning and it didn't go that well. I tried to be as bubbly and cheerful as possible, but I'm just introvert. He gave me some simple math to solve and that went well, because I'm really good at counting, but then he asked me something related to it and my mind went all blank, because of the nerves. And when I'm nervous I just start to ramble on and on. I'll hear it within 2 weeks or so, but I don't get my hopes up.

Two of my friends have horses so I don't think that's a reason to eat one but not the other. Despite that tho, I know what you mean. I had a cat whom I adored and I would never have thought of eating him for dinner!!

Sorry to hear your interview didn't go well, no one seems to get any good news these days.

''We're just knocked out. We heard about the sell out. You gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people. We're so happy we can hardly count.''

4 March 2013
6.29pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2176

Liked that cartoon, egroeG, but dunno if I could find the Beatles reference!

Unless it was "War Is Over" – it wasn't that, was it?

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
4 March 2013
6.36pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

vonbontee said
Liked that cartoon, egroeG, but dunno if I could find the Beatles reference!

Unless it was "War Is Over" – it wasn't that, was it?

Take a closer look at the "War Is Over" – the written line above it on that front page…

4 March 2013
7.35pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop

OK haha, there it is, right above where I thought I found it. Man, I suck! (Still haven't found Waldo)

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
5 March 2013
6.41am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1899

Don't know where to post this question, so it might as well be here:  Are there any members of this forum from Germany, or who know German?

There's one phrase in the German version of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" (Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand) that I cannot find in any dictionary, and I don't trust Google translate.

The phrase is:

"einmal so"

Apparently, "einmal" is a very common word in German and can be used in many combinations with other words to form colloquial phrases.  My German dictionary, for example, has about 20 different "einmal" this and that.  But no "einmal so".

I wonder what German people meant by that in the 1960s, and does it still mean the same?  Is it a slang term?

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
5 March 2013
4.31pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop

Paulsbass, I believe, is German, but he hasn't posted here for a few weeks. I think there may be others but I can't think of their names right now.

You might look on the "Introduce yourself!" thread to see who posted their nationalities.

5 March 2013
7.28pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop

I can't believe a week ago it was snowing and today I could go outside in just a shirt and a cardigan. I love spring!

Uh..I'm Dutch but Dutch is quite similar to German so I could look if I know what it means. Don't have time right now though. Am late already.

5 March 2013
8.17pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Funny Paper said
The phrase is:

"einmal so"

When I looked at doing a translation myself a few years back, I came up with "once that way". I'm not saying it's right, since it's obviously not "I can't hide", but it was the closest phrase I could get to that made sense in English.

5 March 2013
9.01pm
thewordislove94
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 198

I'm not German, but after searching on google, one website translated it as "once like this."

"The world is a very serious and, at times, very sad place - but at other times it is all such a joke."-George Harrison
5 March 2013
9.02pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop

More on the topic of horsemeat: A local paper conducted a "Which animals would you eat?" survey. Here are the results:

132 votes – Chicken
128 votes – Cow
125 votes – Salmon
122 votes – Pig
92 votes – Rabbit
72 votes – Kangaroo
67 votes – Horse
64 votes – Frog
62 votes – Camel
58 votes – Seal
25 votes – Caterpillar
0 votes – Dog

5 March 2013
10.45pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop

I've looked at the lyrics and it does mean something like ''once'' indeed. In Holland we use nearly the same word ''eenmaal''. This may seem weird, but I didn't just come up with it. I had to look at the lyrics first to see the context before I knew it for sure.

5 March 2013
11.39pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Hugo Chavez, Venezuela's president, and South America's dominant politician for the last decade or so, is dead.

6 March 2013
1.05am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1899

Thanks to all the responders to my question about "einmal so".  I think however that some phrases are colloquial and are not literally translatable.  My suspicion is that "einmal so" means something like "that's the way it is".  It comes as the climax to the emphatic line which I tentatively translate as --

"In your arms I feel happy and gay,

With another that would never ever be this way (the way that it is)."

-- but I could be horribly wrong.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
6 March 2013
3.15am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Strange. According to the Currently Online bit at the bottom of the page, it seems members currently online are:

Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, mja6758, LongHairedLady!

How does that work?

6 March 2013
3.26am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Yay! I'm back to only having one Egroeg Evoli currently online! Five would be too hard to handle!

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Joe, Von Bontee, Duke_of_Kirkcaldy, Ahhh Girl, Annadog40, When Im 64, MrMoonlight, Jeremy Hillary Boob, Ph. D., Beatleva, thisbirdhasflown
82 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page: Ahhh Girl
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 9238

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

parlance: 4902

mithveaen: 4651

Ahhh Girl: 4471

Zig: 3641

Wannadog40: 3543

Mr. Kite: 3185

Ron Nasty: 2942

fabfouremily: 2927

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 2502

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3184

Newest Members: Bibiana, Bibiana0709, Rendersen25, emshicks321, S. L. Martin

Moderators: Ahhh Girl (4471), meanmistermustard (9238), Zig (3641), Joe (3404)

Administrators: Joe (3404), Ellie (1)

Members Birthdays
Today: None
Upcoming: None