The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 188 | All together now | Fab forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
22 February 2013
5.27am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1665

On a different note, and therefore a different post, what does one do if they burn their hand on a toaster? It's not a particularly bad burn, but still...

Do you want to know a secret? Read my username backwards. ~ ~ ~ - - - . . . - - - ~ ~ ~ Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy...

☮ & <3

22 February 2013
5.33am
unknown
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1233

I did that when I was like eight, it's just really tempting, you know. Even now I will get the urge sometimes, but I don't do it because it's not a great experience. I held my hand in ice for like three hours, it was really painful.

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit
22 February 2013
5.38am
Ron Nasty
"Where have you been?" "I'm not telling you..."
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 3101

We had one of those cookers that had a grill above it when I was little. Our cat, Tigger, always used to sleep curled up on it. Which made toast in the morning hard. Until the grill was lit a few times. She moved to sleeping on top of the fridge for some reason.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty
22 February 2013
6.56pm
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2021

Egroeg,

You seem to be good at creative uses of words -- I wonder if you could help me.  I'm trying to find a good rhyme for the word "chopsticks" in a song I'm writing.  Ideally, I'd like the rhyme to at least sound similar to the "o" in "chop" for the first syllable, and have a nice "-ix" sound for the second syllable.

Thanks!

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
22 February 2013
7.01pm
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop

mja,

Thanks for that Rutles link.  I'll take a look soon.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
22 February 2013
7.24pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2226

Funny Paper, I know you didn't ask me; but might I suggest "drop kicks", "hot licks" or "cop flicks"?

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
23 February 2013
12.08am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop

vonbontee said
Funny Paper, I know you didn't ask me; but might I suggest "drop kicks", "hot licks" or "cop flicks"?

All good rhymes, however, the rhythm of the line at the juncture in my song would make any one of those sound awkward, since the two syllables will be sung very fast together. 

I'm not good at writing music, but if you know as much or more than I do -- imagine a fast tempo song in 4/8, where there is a four-syllable lyric at one point, with all four syllables as fast as four 8th notes in a row, beginning at 3 and ending at 2 of the following measure: "3-4-1-2" (with the last syllable -- say "kicks" -- held for several beats).

I guess I'd like a 4-syllable word where the last two syllables can rhyme with "chopsticks" and where the 2nd syllable flows smoothly into the 3rd.  Or it could be a one-syllable word followed by a 3-syllable word.

23 February 2013
11.10pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

Funny Paper said
Egroeg,

You seem to be good at creative uses of words -- I wonder if you could help me.  I'm trying to find a good rhyme for the word "chopsticks" in a song I'm writing.  Ideally, I'd like the rhyme to at least sound similar to the "o" in "chop" for the first syllable, and have a nice "-ix" sound for the second syllable.

Thanks!

Funny Paper said

vonbontee said

All good rhymes, however, the rhythm of the line at the juncture in my song would make any one of those sound awkward, since the two syllables will be sung very fast together. 

I'm not good at writing music, but if you know as much or more than I do -- imagine a fast tempo song in 4/8, where there is a four-syllable lyric at one point, with all four syllables as fast as four 8th notes in a row, beginning at 3 and ending at 2 of the following measure: "3-4-1-2" (with the last syllable -- say "kicks" -- held for several beats).

I guess I'd like a 4-syllable word where the last two syllables can rhyme with "chopsticks" and where the 2nd syllable flows smoothly into the 3rd.  Or it could be a one-syllable word followed by a 3-syllable word.

I'll try to think of something, and this info helps, but it might be easier if you could tell me what the lyric is.

Do you want to know a secret? Read my username backwards. ~ ~ ~ - - - . . . - - - ~ ~ ~ Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy...

☮ & <3

23 February 2013
11.16pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

Just thought of some: tropics, electronics, harmonics, comics, topics, onyx. They have the "o" sound and end in "-ix," but I don't know if any will work...

☮ & <3

23 February 2013
11.49pm
Ron Nasty
"Where have you been?" "I'm not telling you..."
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 3101

More sad news, especially for sci-fi fans. The death has been announced of Ray Cusick, the BBC designer who designed the Deleks 50 years ago, just a few short months before the anniversary of when they first appeared on our screens. For many of us who grew up peeking out at them from behind our sofas, a sad day indeed. For someone of my age, perhaps the most iconic sci-fi baddies ever. A shame he didn't make it to the 50th anniversary celebrations.

What a week! Richard Briers last Sunday. Animator Bob Godfrey yesterday, who created such greats as Roobarb (voiced by Richard Briers). And now Ray Cusick! Sad days indeed!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty
24 February 2013
10.49am
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2931

Sad news, that a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

I´ve just heard that The Bag O´Nails is going to re-open this year as a ''high-end private members club''.

http://www.bag-o-nails.com/

Wonder if it will last...

''We're just knocked out. We heard about the sell out. You gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people. We're so happy we can hardly count.''

24 February 2013
11.52am
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 9952

Sad news about Ray Cusick. Scared the living heck out of many a child and adult for nearly 50 years thru creating the Daleks. By far the greatest enemy of the Doctor. Hopefully something will be done in the 50th anniversay celebrations, which i am very much looking forward too, to remember the man. Sadly i think there will be much bigger official celebrations for Doctor Who than The Beatles in total (where so far we have had a remastered single they got wrong in the pressing - the vinyl were not part of the 50th).

All after the hype of its returning i sky+'d Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway and my word was it, pardon the language, shite. This is Prime Time TV entertainment? Lots of over the top hollering for no reason by the audience, a cringing audience text thing, David Walliams, a terrible hidden camera stunt with Louis Walsh, and will someone please tell the world of TV that Robbie Williams is neither a good singer, a cheeky chappie, or wanted on many peoples tv's. And someone also tell Ant and Dec to ad lib more and not stick to the autocue where they look wooden and stilted. Why on earth did i watch ITV?

He told us not to get overwhelmed by grief and whatever thoughts we have... to keep them happy, because any thoughts we have of him will travel to him wherever he is. (John Lennon - 27/8/67)
24 February 2013
12.42pm
meanmistermustard

How to know a band are miming #289 (watch it complete - absolute chaos.) I MISS RINGO!!!a-hard-days-night-ringo-15 If that had of been in '66 i can see John and George starting a fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....jNysj0PxT4

He told us not to get overwhelmed by grief and whatever thoughts we have... to keep them happy, because any thoughts we have of him will travel to him wherever he is. (John Lennon - 27/8/67)
24 February 2013
3.28pm
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop

Egroeg Evoli said
Just thought of some: tropics, electronics, harmonics, comics, topics, onyx. They have the "o" sound and end in "-ix," but I don't know if any will work...

Wow, thanks.  Now, why didn't I think of all those...?  a-hard-days-night-paul-7I'll see if any of those work.

24 February 2013
3.36pm
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop

Egroeg Evoli said
 it might be easier if you could tell me what the lyric is.

The way I write songs, I come up with the melody and rhythm of the notes first, then fill in the words later.  I know it sounds weird to do it this way, and sometimes it's conducive to writing whimsical or nearly nonsensical songs; but I've often come up with meaningful lyrics this way.  I guess it's analogous to the "meter" some poets limit themselves to.

If you meant you'd like to see the "chopsticks" line, this is it:

It was the sweet & sour duck,

from take-out, from the same box,

sharing the same pair of chopsticks...

My fortune said I was in luck,

not in love,

_____________________ (this is where I'm stuck -- note: I don't really need a rhyme for "box", the way the melody goes; and again, the line needs to be only four syllables, as opposed to the many syllables of the first stanza)

24 February 2013
3.37pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

Funny Paper said

Wow, thanks.  Now, why didn't I think of all those…?  a-hard-days-night-paul-7I'll see if any of those work.

You're quite welcome. :) If you need any more help with the song, I'd be happy to help.

☮ & <3

24 February 2013
3.39pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

Funny Paper said

Egroeg Evoli said
 it might be easier if you could tell me what the lyric is.

The way I write songs, I come up with the melody and rhythm of the notes first, then fill in the words later.  I know it sounds weird to do it this way, and sometimes it's conducive to writing whimsical or nearly nonsensical songs; but I've often come up with meaningful lyrics this way.  I guess it's analogous to the "meter" some poets limit themselves to.

That sounds like as good a method as any.

☮ & <3

24 February 2013
4.25pm
meanmistermustard

In the event that someone has been looking for or waiting for the Twickenham Purple Chick A/B Road discs to surface then you can find them being uploaded at Everything... Beatles. Currently 2nd and 3rd January are up and the person running the blog uploads in order so you shouldnt have to wait months to get them all.  

This site has nothing to do with me or this site, im just letting folks know as it has been asked once or twice here.

26 February 2013
1.19pm
meanmistermustard

Am ill again so Anthology on, first time in a couple of years ive seen it. Was going to watch part 3 but those pesky Beatles made me go back to the beginning.

26 February 2013
6.55pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost

Forum Posts: 4223

meanmistermustard said
Am ill again so Anthology on, first time in a couple of years ive seen it. Was going to watch part 3 but those pesky Beatles made me go back to the beginning.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

apple01

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Von Bontee, Necko, Ahhh Girl, Annadog40, StrawberryFieldsForever
57 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 9952

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

parlance: 5223

Ahhh Girl: 5199

mithveaen: 4651

Annadog40: 4336

Zig: 4223

Mr. Kite: 3843