The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 187 | All together now | Fab forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
18 February 2013
12.47pm
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 10060

More very sad news. The incredibly talented actor Richard Briers most famous for starring in the Good Life, i preferred Ever Decreasing Circles, but appeared in many excellent shows of all genres on TV, radio, film and stage has died aged 79 for 5 decades. Richard came across as being very warm, generous, charasmatic, friendly and approachable in all his interviews and appearances and whilst his passing is a big loss he leaves behind a wealth of exceptional depth and quality in his work.

If you havent seen some of his work, even if its just a clip from the Good Life on Youtube, dig it out and have a laugh.

He told us not to get overwhelmed by grief and whatever thoughts we have... to keep them happy, because any thoughts we have of him will travel to him wherever he is. (John Lennon - 27/8/67)
18 February 2013
1.09pm
Ron Nasty
"Where have you been?" "I'm not telling you..."
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 3151

Sad news about Richard Briers. I grew up watching him. One of the greatest comic actors of his generation, and was just as good in straight roles. He will be remembered with great affection.

There was also the sad news overnight that troubled US country singer Mindy McCready has taken her own life, a month after her husband killed himself. She shot herself in the same spot as he did. A tragedy for their son (born less than a year ago), and her older son from a former relationship.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty
18 February 2013
7.50pm
meanmistermustard

I saw the sad news about Mindy McCready on the bbc site. Not an artist i know anything about but her name I had heard of. Tragic for the children, losing one parent is horrific enough but the youngest has lost both so quickly. So many losses over the last month or two.

Anyone know anything about having wisdom teeth removed, have 2 growing in and have been referred to have them yanked out. Main question i have is afterwards would it be better to have someone to get me home as its a bus ride and 20 min walk from the city of extraction to home?

He told us not to get overwhelmed by grief and whatever thoughts we have... to keep them happy, because any thoughts we have of him will travel to him wherever he is. (John Lennon - 27/8/67)
18 February 2013
8.25pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Wisdom teeth can be a bit of a bugger, not always but can be. I'd say you're better off having someone with you just in case it does leave you feeling a bit woozy.

18 February 2013
9.12pm
meanmistermustard

At the beginning of my appointment the dentist spent 2 or 3 minutes telling me what nerves are attached to wisdom teeth and what issues there are with having them removed with the obvious aim of getting me to decide to leave things as they were. After seeing the results of xrays i wasnt given the option of not going, i was being referred. Always nice to get the gruesome picture.

Is it a long procedure where you are put under or do you get a local anesthetic? I had to get root canal treatment about 15 years ago (long horrible story why) and was asked if i didnt mind a student or two watching to witness the procedure. Being polite i said sure and about 8 students walked in, surrounded the room, and looked on as the surgeon did whatever he had to do. Weird experience. 

18 February 2013
9.34pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

I don't think they're the easiest extraction, and from a couple of friends who had them removed, it was done under gas, and they were told they had to have someone with them.

19 February 2013
3.00am
Tor_Hershman
The Place Of The Skull, West Virginié
A Beginning
Forum Posts: 1

I am know as such a thread killer I'll have a go at derailing this one...

Some of me wee parodies.....

a tor hershman parody

a tor hershman parody

a tor hershman parody

http://www.youtube.com/user/TOR1Hershman
19 February 2013
4.50pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2232

OK, those were pretty lame.

But the thread's been designated as "impossible to derail", so...

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
21 February 2013
11.06pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1665

I. Am. So. Mad.

I spent about half an hour typing text to create a Beatles Wordle (wordle.net, if anyone is interested and/or doesn't know what Wordle is) only to discover that it requires Java, which my mom made me uninstall because there are some possible problems with the newest version. But at least I don't need Java to post on this site!

Do you want to know a secret? Read my username backwards. ~ ~ ~ - - - . . . - - - ~ ~ ~ Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy...

☮ & <3

22 February 2013
12.02am
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2232

Never heard of wordle, had to look 'em up. Those word-clouds look pretty cool indeed! I can't imagine what practical use they have, though, aside from decorating introductory letters from advertising agencies or some such.

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
22 February 2013
12.09am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

vonbontee said
Never heard of wordle, had to look 'em up. Those word-clouds look pretty cool indeed! I can't imagine what practical use they have, though, aside from decorating introductory letters from advertising agencies or some such.

My science teacher (she's pretty awesome) had us create Wordles as study tools. Words that are more frequent in the original text appear bigger than the other words in the word cloud, so it helps us to figure out which terms are more important. Also, in a newspaper from before the American presidential election, there were Wordles comparing one of Barack Obama's speeches to one of Mitt Romney's speeches, and it showed which words they used frequently.

Do you want to know a secret? Read my username backwards. ~ ~ ~ - - - . . . - - - ~ ~ ~ Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy...

☮ & <3

22 February 2013
12.36am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Have seen a Beatles Wordle before. It was done from putting in all the song lyrics, but missing out things like "the", "and", and "a". Showed words like "love", "you" and "her" very big, while needing to squint for things like "sexy", "Eleanor" and "Sadie".

22 February 2013
3.57am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2049

Egroeg, If you have Word and can do whatever you're doing in Word, you can create your own Wordle effect -- just do a search & replace where you put the same word in both search and replace, but specify in the replace box options a much larger font size.  Then before you hit enter to perform the search & replace, make sure you select the "replace all" option.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
22 February 2013
3.59am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2049

And Now For Something Completely Different...

Egroeg in the "food pun" topic said she didn't know who the "Rutles" were.  They were none other than members of Monty Python.

(P.S.:  For anyone who has ever watched their TV show and specials they had back in the 70s (still available of course on YouTube and other sites), they frequently segued from one comedy sketch to another with the phrase I used at the top.)

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
22 February 2013
4.07am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

Funny Paper said
Egroeg, If you have Word and can do whatever you're doing in Word, you can create your own Wordle effect -- just do a search & replace where you put the same word in both search and replace, but specify in the replace box options a much larger font size.  Then before you hit enter to perform the search & replace, make sure you select the "replace all" option.

Thanks, I'll try it!

☮ & <3

22 February 2013
4.08am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

Funny Paper said
And Now For Something Completely Different...

Egroeg in the "food pun" topic said she didn't know who the "Rutles" were.  They were none other than members of Monty Python.

(P.S.:  For anyone who has ever watched their TV show and specials they had back in the 70s (still available of course on YouTube and other sites), they frequently segued from one comedy sketch to another with the phrase I used at the top.)

I thought they were just a band who parodied the Beatles. I didn't know they were from Monty Python. Cool!

☮ & <3

22 February 2013
4.13am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

And now for something quite samey...

Egroeg already been picked up on lack of Rutles knowledge on another thread, with a couple of clips, followed by her saying she'd been to Wikipedia to look them up.

Here's a question for you Funny, did you know there's a Rutles Love parody on YouTube, put together by a fan and not a Rutle. If you don't go hunting, it's called Lunch, and is fantastic.

EDIT: I've put it up in Beatle LOLs!

http://www.beatlesbible.com/fo.....43/#p66467

22 February 2013
4.45am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

Sometimes I wonder if all of the other people online are like me, just waiting for someone else to post...

☮ & <3

22 February 2013
4.53am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

I'm always waiting for someone else to post. You need someone to reply to. There are those you hope post more than others! You're on the list of those I try finding something to entertaining to say. After all, you were the first to say hello.

22 February 2013
5.12am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

mja6758 said
I'm always waiting for someone else to post. You need someone to reply to. There are those you hope post more than others! You're on the list of those I try finding something to entertaining to say. After all, you were the first to say hello.

☮ & <3

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Annadog40
64 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 10060

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

parlance: 5334

Ahhh Girl: 5317