The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 186 | All together now | Fab forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
13 February 2013
6.48pm
Ron Nasty
"Where have you been?" "I'm not telling you..."
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 3329

meanmistermustard said
You wrote some of that entry mja! and parts of wiki, impressed i am.

I wrote none of the Duffy entry. Have contributed to 2 or 3 entries, but can't even remember which such is my brain. Just remember first I did, can't remember who, was reading an entry about a female presenter and in personal details it mentioned she was going to run the 2012 London Marathon, and it was months after the event. So I looked up the details and replaced the "going to run" with "ran in a time of...". Second one was changing someone from happily married to putting in divorce papers. I like the little details.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty
13 February 2013
7.46pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2261

Hah, I love going through Wikipedia and rewriting things that annoy me! Anybody sharing a non-neutral point of view has to reckon with me.

Sorry about your tooth meanmistermustard :( and sorry that you don't appreciate the rain. Personally I love it, especially with snow as the other option.

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
13 February 2013
8.14pm
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 10928

mja6758 said

meanmistermustard said
You wrote some of that entry mja! and parts of wiki, impressed i am.

I wrote none of the Duffy entry. Have contributed to 2 or 3 entries, but can't even remember which such is my brain. Just remember first I did, can't remember who, was reading an entry about a female presenter and in personal details it mentioned she was going to run the 2012 London Marathon, and it was months after the event. So I looked up the details and replaced the "going to run" with "ran in a time of...". Second one was changing someone from happily married to putting in divorce papers. I like the little details.

Apologies, i read "... though I know that's only as a good a source as whoever wrote it, but having written some of it, and knowing I was trying to be as accurate as possible..." and came out with something else. Didnt know you could go on to wiki and alter entries, thought you had to permission thru application so as to stop folk going on and writing daft things.

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
13 February 2013
8.22pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Some Wikipedia entries are locked, and that is shown by a closed padlock, but the majority are open. The locked ones tend to be major subjects like, say, Paul McCartney. But locked subjects are generally locked by request of the object of the subject.

13 February 2013
9.22pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop

I don't think I've ever encountered any "locked" articles before! The McCartney article is only semi-protected, which I guess means only folks with an active account (ie. anybody who bothers to register for one) can edit it. Really, it seems to me that any vandalism problems generally take care of themselves. There's enough responsible users worldwide to fix up any obvious nonsense once it's spotted; and anybody who repeatedly creates such nonsense can have their account deleted.

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
13 February 2013
9.56pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

Sorry, you're right. What I meant was that you had to reach a certain trusted level before you could edit certain articles. It is often the case that the subject requests that. I have altered, I think, 4 articles in all, without challenge to anything I have entered. I would need at least another 6 without challenge to possibly alter "Paul McCartney" in any way. Some entries, and I wouldn't be surprised if McCartney's wasn't one, require many more edits without challenge before you can change them. It's a strange thing, and a good thing, you need to work your up through the levels. I'm the bottom rung still.

EDIT: Paul, having looked at the protection fully, I am sure would be covered by this, which spells out that certain topics ARE locked: "Administrators may apply indefinite semi-protection to pages that are subject to heavy and persistent vandalism or violations of content policy (such as biographies of living persons, neutral point of view)."

14 February 2013
1.00am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1665

"Warwick Avenue" and "Mercy": The only songs by Duffy that I know.

Speaking of which, my sister used to think "Mercy" was called "Texas." I don't know why... a-hard-days-night-george-4

Do you want to know a secret? Read my username backwards. ~ ~ ~ - - - . . . - - - ~ ~ ~ Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy...

☮ & <3

14 February 2013
2.05pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2213

I think Warwick Avenue and Rain on your parade were alright, but I REALLY hate Mercy. 

And I just don't like her voice in general.

15 February 2013
5.41pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2949

http://nyti.ms/VVEfT9

Here´s a Q and A with Paul that I just read, dont know if anyone is interested....

''We're just knocked out. We heard about the sell out. You gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people. We're so happy we can hardly count.''

15 February 2013
5.44pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 5757

^^ Thanks for the link. Shouldn't this be in a Beatle-related thread like news?

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at YouTube and Vimeo.

15 February 2013
5.52pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2949

parlance said
^^ Thanks for the link. Shouldn't this be in a Beatle-related thread like news?

parlance

Yes, maybe. In fact I just thought of that myself. Apologies.

''We're just knocked out. We heard about the sell out. You gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people. We're so happy we can hardly count.''

15 February 2013
9.30pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop

Aw, don't worry, it's impossible to derail the thread after all. And I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the link!

15 February 2013
9.33pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop

A great interview wherever it's put. And something that can't be derailed can't be derailed.

16 February 2013
4.53am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2093
Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
16 February 2013
5.52am
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop

Uh...what the hell was that??

16 February 2013
10.55am
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 10928

Weird but interesting. Sounds like a live African Hello, Goodbye coda.

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
16 February 2013
11.12am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 5757

vonbontee said
Aw, don't worry, it's impossible to derail the thread after all. And I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the link!

Wasn't a matter of derailing the thread, but wondering if people who don't read this thread would see the interview.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at YouTube and Vimeo.

16 February 2013
11.28pm
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2093

meanmistermustard said
Weird but interesting. Sounds like a live African Hello, Goodbye coda.

Close.  They're chanting "Hela Hela!" (with the legendary Cuban conga drummer Francisco Aquabella (1925-2010) chanting lead stuff) which, however, I can't find in my Spanish dictionary.  I think it might mean "Alas!" but not sure.  Anyway, it's the Latin rock group Malo (lead guitarist is Jorge Santana, brother of Carlos), from their second album titled Dos.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
17 February 2013
4.44am
Gerard
Philippines, the country which no Beatle would dare to perform again.
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 690

Speaking of chants, did the chants at the end of the Walrus inspired the ones in Finding Nemo? "Shark Bait" also sounds somewhat familiar.

"And in the End the Love you take is equal to the Love you make"
"When I was a robber *Piano Chord* in Boston Place"
"Let's hope this turns out pretty darn good huh"
"Pete may be the best, but Ringo is the star"
Paul:"Don't be nervous John"
John:"I 'm not"
17 February 2013
5.00am
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop

So THAT'S Malo, eh? How about that...I used to see that album all the time when I used to trawl used record stores back in the day, never bought it though. Didn't care for that track myself, sounded more African than Latin. (Not that i've got a problem with African sounds - I've got several Fela Kuti records that I like a lot. I only recently found out that it was Fela himself who accused Paul of going to Nigeria with the intent of stealing the black man's music!)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: meanmistermustard, AppleScruffJunior, Annadog40, Mr. Kite, Sugarplum fairy, Sun King, Merch, ethanland, Long Tall Sally
52 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 10928

mr. Sun king coming together: 6872

Ahhh Girl: 5899

parlance: 5757

Annadog40: 5174

Zig: 4715

Mr. Kite: 4687

mithveaen: 4645

Ron Nasty: 3329

fabfouremily: 2949

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 88

Members: 2762

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3204

Newest Members: pauadrian, hark.theangelscome, harktheangelscome, Paperback Writer 1971, kristen12356

Moderators: Ahhh Girl: 5899, meanmistermustard: 10928, Zig: 4715, Joe: 3601

Administrators: Joe: 3601, Ellie: 1

Members Birthdays
Today: Mistermark21
Upcoming: None