The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 178 | All together now | Fab forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
24 December 2012
6.01pm
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 10398

Beatles Examiner reports that folks started singing All You Need Is Love to counter a well known anti-islam preacher, Terry Jones, who was "speaking to passersby about the “evils” and the radicalism of the Islam religion".

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
25 December 2012
9.48am
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2173

Funny Paper said
Thanks Linde.  Interesting information.  That show seems to be quite a phenomenon.  In the USA, we don't really have a TV show like that, which travels around from town to town and region to region with large live audiences; it's almost like a traveling circus (without the animals).  When you first mentioned the "glass booth" it reminded me of the American magician David Blaine, who has done many public stunts (though I never heard he donated money to charities).

So the Twentse dialect is in the south?

I just looked at a map, and I didn't realize Germany was to the south and east and even a bit northeast of Netherlands (I thought it was only south).  I also didn't realize the coastline curves so much upward almost parallel to England as one goes north and east.  A lot of Americans I think don't distinguish Holland from Belgium too much, but I'm sure the people of each region think there's quite a difference, no?

I also noticed that the actress Carice van Houten spoke with a different accent than everyone else -- is she considered "high class"?

It doesn't really travel, it just stays in one place for a whole week and then it just returns the next year in another town with different dj's. Next year it will be in Friesland, which is in the north.

No no no, Twente is in the east. It's close to Germany, like I said. 

Look. The yellow bit is Twente, which is part of Overijssel.

It isn't that strange, since Belgium is quite similar to Holland. In the upper half of Belgium they also speak Dutch, only they call it ''Vlaams''. And yeah it's very close to England, it's only a few hours away. I believe you can even drive there through a special tunnel which goes all the way over the North Sea. That's a huge benefit of a small country; within a few hours you can get to London or Berlin! 

Carice van Houten is from the West of our country. She's from Amsterdam and over there they just speak like that. The dj's are originally from Almelo, Utrecht and Haarlem. Utrecht is in the middle and I'm actually not quite sure what accent they have over there. It's not really specific. Haarlem is in the west too, which means the accent should be quite similar to Carice's. Almelo is in Twente so that accent is, well, the one I've been talking about. I'm not really sure what you mean with high class, but she IS very succesful and rich.

Anyway, yesterday I went to the closing show with my best friend and it was awesome. We waited for 3 hours before we could run to the front, but just at the point the security guy told us we could run, the shoulder strap of my bag broke! Just my luck. Anyway, I just pushed everyone aside and ran to the front anyway. The show was great and we were on tv again. Very strange. I came home and the show hadn't been broadcasted yet, that happened about an hour later. So I saw my own face on tv.

They raised over 12 million euros! The crowd went mad. 

When we left, everyone had the same idea. The trainstation was super crowded and security men stopped everyone from going through the doors to the trains. It was ridiculous. If it hasn't been on the news yet here, I'm sure it will. I don't get why they didn't set up extra trains for this occasion, I mean, they could've expected this. Eventually a group just started running, so everyone ran. We got to a train and even got to sit. Unfortunately there were a lot of drunks in the train. One guy was smoking. In the friggin train. And I got hit with an umbrella. I was so glad when I came home.

25 December 2012
9.58am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2093

Linde said

Funny Paper said
Thanks Linde.  Interesting information.  That show seems to be quite a phenomenon.  In the USA, we don't really have a TV show like that, which travels around from town to town and region to region with large live audiences; it's almost like a traveling circus (without the animals).  When you first mentioned the "glass booth" it reminded me of the American magician David Blaine, who has done many public stunts (though I never heard he donated money to charities).

So the Twentse dialect is in the south?

I just looked at a map, and I didn't realize Germany was to the south and east and even a bit northeast of Netherlands (I thought it was only south).  I also didn't realize the coastline curves so much upward almost parallel to England as one goes north and east.  A lot of Americans I think don't distinguish Holland from Belgium too much, but I'm sure the people of each region think there's quite a difference, no?

I also noticed that the actress Carice van Houten spoke with a different accent than everyone else -- is she considered "high class"?

It doesn't really travel, it just stays in one place for a whole week and then it just returns the next year in another town with different dj's. Next year it will be in Friesland, which is in the north.

No no no, Twente is in the east. It's close to Germany, like I said. 

Look. The yellow bit is Twente, which is part of Overijssel.

It isn't that strange, since Belgium is quite similar to Holland. In the upper half of Belgium they also speak Dutch, only they call it ''Vlaams''. And yeah it's very close to England, it's only a few hours away. I believe you can even drive there through a special tunnel which goes all the way over the North Sea. That's a huge benefit of a small country; within a few hours you can get to London or Berlin! 

Carice van Houten is from the West of our country. She's from Amsterdam and over there they just speak like that. The dj's are originally from Almelo, Utrecht and Haarlem. Utrecht is in the middle and I'm actually not quite sure what accent they have over there. It's not really specific. Haarlem is in the west too, which means the accent should be quite similar to Carice's. Almelo is in Twente so that accent is, well, the one I've been talking about. I'm not really sure what you mean with high class, but she IS very succesful and rich.

Thanks Linde -- I'm still a little confused, but that's ok, I can't wrap my head around all the regions and complications that seem normal to you.  Interesting about "Vlaams".  I heard about an organization called "Vlaams Belang", which I support with all my heart.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
26 December 2012
9.16am
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2173

You're welcome.

Yeah it's kinda difficult for me to explain it too haha.

26 December 2012
6.21pm
meanmistermustard

Is anyone a fan of or listened to the Bonzo Dog [Doo Dah] Band? I have vouchers for itunes and considering Death Cab for Cutie is such a cool song (thanks MMT) was thinking of getting some of their work. Was thinking about starting off with Gorilla as its only £4.99 so if its tiresome i havent lost out much yet you can get Cornology which is nearly everything for only an extra £8. So is it worth jumping in and getting drowned or going for a little dip in the waters?

I could always just get complete kisses by Macca but would be nice to get something by someone new.

Another option is the Rutles, anyone know much about them. Do the songs blow when taken out of the film context?

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
26 December 2012
6.57pm
Ben Ramon
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 619

meanmistermustard said
Another option is the Rutles, anyone know much about them. Do the songs blow when taken out of the film context?

They are good spoofs but I wouldn't bother listening to their music outside the film context. "Cheese and Onions" I've always considered a particularly good Lennon pastiche, sounds exactly like the kind of thing he would write both musically and lyrically.

hl=en-GB&gl=GB

SHUT UP - Paulie's talkin'
26 December 2012
8.00pm
meanmistermustard

Ben Ramon said

meanmistermustard said

They are good spoofs but I wouldn't bother listening to their music outside the film context. "Cheese and Onions" I've always considered a particularly good Lennon pastiche, sounds exactly like the kind of thing he would write both musically and lyrically.

Yeah cant see there being a 'gotta listen to the rutles' moment tho the songs are to their credit quite good in the movie where they work well as  pastiches. Thanks Ben.

26 December 2012
9.38pm
meanmistermustard

In iTunes you can purchase for £10.99 Live at The Star Club in Germany (The Complete Sessions with Bonus Tracks). The bonus tracks are Love Me Do and PS I Love You with Andy White on drums.

A load of questions

Apple won the legal rights to the Star Club tapes in 1999, George H was a key witness, so surely these arent legit?

Love Me Do and PS I Love You are owned by Paul and Apple so surely these arent legit either?

The only thing i can think of is the 50 year copyright law but that was extended to 75 years in the UK so surely they are covered by that and therefore wouldnt apply. Actually its not even 50 years as that would be 31st December 2012 as defined by the recording date and the release was October 2012 anyway.

Plus the LMD and PSILY are selling for 79p each, all official beatle tracks are set at 99p (UK prices) as set in stone by Apple and Apple so that also says they are arent official.

So what are they doing on itunes? Wouldnt Apple (the beatle one) not be riled and annoyed by this?

27 December 2012
12.57am
thewordislove94
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 198

This is very interesting... Two of the songs on this album, Red Hot and Road Runner, did not appear on the Live! at The Star Club in Hamburg album. Would those two songs be legal to release? I need to see if this is available in the U.S.

"The world is a very serious and, at times, very sad place - but at other times it is all such a joke."-George Harrison
27 December 2012
4.29pm
meanmistermustard

There are a couple of other releases which are nothing more than copies of bootlegs so it wouldnt surprise me if the Star Club is a copy of the Purple Chick release with the first beatles single tacked on at the end. I doubt its been sanctioned by Apple.

Does anyone know if the 50 year copyright stuff is fully sanctioned and legal or is it after a certain year? Are we going to see the Please Please Me album regurgitated on some crappy label after all? I doubt Apple (the beatle one) would be too chuffed. Im not a huge fan of how Apple have managed the beatles catalogue and what we get but one thing i do hugely admire is that there arent 40,000 shit compilations available that offer nothing and confuse everyone like with Elvis, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash who have 26,849 greatest hits. Tho they got close in the years '76 to '82.

I wonder if Apple would reward me for drawing their attention to this?

27 December 2012
8.45pm
thewordislove94
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 198

I'm not from the U.K., but I believe that the 50 year copyright law has been extended to 70 years. This album is not available on itunes in the U.S. because the copyright laws state that other labels can release songs 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication. As for Apple rewarding you, you could only find out by contacting them.

"The world is a very serious and, at times, very sad place - but at other times it is all such a joke."-George Harrison
28 December 2012
3.07am
meanmistermustard

Apple would probably sue me for not informing them immediately upon discovering its existence.

3 January 2013
3.12am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1665

I wasn't sure where to post this but...

Um... anybody notice that there's a picture of Paul for the section labeled "The Beatles"?

a-hard-days-night-george-4a-hard-days-night-ringo-4

Do you want to know a secret? Read my username backwards. ~ ~ ~ - - - . . . - - - ~ ~ ~ Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy...

☮ & <3

5 January 2013
2.00am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

Hi. Is it okay if I rant about my horrible day real quick? I promise I won't post anymore negative stuff.

Okay.

So I had to take a test today, and I know I failed because I skipped a whole page and then realized it, but we weren't allowed to go back and fix or change anything. Then somebody bumped into me and I fell in the hallway and all of my books and papers flew everywhere. Then I collected everything, got up, someone else pushed me, and I hit my head really hard on the wall. I had a horrible headache for the rest of the day. Other than that, things were mostly okay for the rest of the school day, until last period, when, to top everything off, someone told me that my old friend from middle school had passed away. I went home and looked it up on the Internet, and it's true.

Sorry for being so depressing. I'm better now. Thank you for your time.

(By the way, he wasn't really my friend, just someone I sorta knew. It's still sad, though.)

Do you want to know a secret? Read my username backwards. ~ ~ ~ - - - . . . - - - ~ ~ ~ Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy...

☮ & <3

5 January 2013
2.02am
meanmistermustard

Always allowed a rant here so when required feel free. Same goes to anyone else. Hope you feel better Egroeg and you have a fantastic tomorrow.

I'm currently ill and not happy about it. Need to go to bed as its 8 minutes past 2 in the morning but am listening to John which shouldnt be a surprise considering another thread. He's currently happily singing away on an outtake of Move Over Ms L. I dont want to move but need to crawlhearta-hard-days-night-john-1heart.

5 January 2013
6.30am
unknown
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1237

Egroeg Evoli said
Hi. Is it okay if I rant about my horrible day real quick? I promise I won't post anymore negative stuff.

Okay.

So I had to take a test today, and I know I failed because I skipped a whole page and then realized it, but we weren't allowed to go back and fix or change anything. Then somebody bumped into me and I fell in the hallway and all of my books and papers flew everywhere. Then I collected everything, got up, someone else pushed me, and I hit my head really hard on the wall. I had a horrible headache for the rest of the day. Other than that, things were mostly okay for the rest of the school day, until last period, when, to top everything off, someone told me that my old friend from middle school had passed away. I went home and looked it up on the Internet, and it's true.

(By the way, he wasn't really my friend, just someone I sorta knew. It's still sad, though.)

Damn, you have some rude people in your school! Maybe you walk too slow. I hate when people walk slow in school hallways, or when people decide to stop in the middle of the hallway, or a doorway to have a conversation. People also like to stand in front of my locker, and then don't move when I'm putting in the code so I have to push them. Those are the only people I push, but I do it nicely. I never do it with enough force for somebody to fall and drop all their stuff, or bang their head. Sorry you had such a bad day, Egroeg, now it's the weekend, so that should be better. Have some George smileys, yoahdn_george_08a-hard-days-night-george-10a-hard-days-night-george-9a-hard-days-night-george-2a-hard-days-night-george-2a-hard-days-night-george-3a-hard-days-night-george-4ahdn_george_06!

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit
7 January 2013
9.13pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Apple rooftop

unknown said

Egroeg Evoli said

Okay.

Damn, you have some rude people in your school! Maybe you walk too slow. I hate when people walk slow in school hallways, or when people decide to stop in the middle of the hallway, or a doorway to have a conversation. People also like to stand in front of my locker, and then don't move when I'm putting in the code so I have to push them. Those are the only people I push, but I do it nicely. I never do it with enough force for somebody to fall and drop all their stuff, or bang their head. Sorry you had such a bad day, Egroeg, now it's the weekend, so that should be better. Have some George smileys, yoahdn_george_08a-hard-days-night-george-10a-hard-days-night-george-9a-hard-days-night-george-2a-hard-days-night-george-2a-hard-days-night-george-3a-hard-days-night-george-4ahdn_george_06!

ahdn_george_08a-hard-days-night-george-9

☮ & <3

11 January 2013
6.05pm
meanmistermustard

Anyone know a way of getting thru writers block? Words dont come easily.

11 January 2013
6.22pm
BluemeanAl
North Carolina, USA
The Top Ten Club
Forum Posts: 64

Wow, writer's block.  Strange that I was lying in bed this morning not wanting to get up to go to work (unusual for a Friday), thinking about what seems to be a steady decline in the number of, length of , and quality of posts I make on various sites, as if I'm either running out of ideas, running out of words, or running out of ambition -- likely all three.  Given the effect that winter generally has on my mood (happens often enough that I'm of the opinion that I have a bit of that SAD thing going on), I'd marked it up to just that. 

Authentic writer's block?  I can't say that I've ever heard much good advice for that.  Get away from it for a while, or work through it?

I have no good ideas (see?), but plenty of sympathy, MMrM... 

It's gotta be rock and roll music if you wanna dance with me
12 January 2013
12.01am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 5498

I sympathize too. Have you read Stephen King's On Writing? It's incredibly inspiring.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at YouTube and Vimeo.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: meanmistermustard
52 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 10396

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

Ahhh Girl: 5523

parlance: 5498

Annadog40: 4746

mithveaen: 4651

Zig: 4549

Mr. Kite: 4302

Ron Nasty: 3218

fabfouremily: 2947

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 88

Members: 2685

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3149

Newest Members: phile24, ZoeLouk, arsentev78, Rocky You're a Blackbird, Johnlovedcats

Moderators: Ahhh Girl: 5523, meanmistermustard: 10396, Zig: 4549, Joe: 3492

Administrators: Joe: 3492, Ellie: 1

Members Birthdays
Today: None
Upcoming: None