The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 175 | Fab Forum

Introducing the inaugural Fab Forum February Fundraiser! Click here for more details.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
No permission to create posts
29 November 2012
11.53pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2627
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3486sp_Permalink

bikelock28 said

A comedian asked some people in his audience what waas the wierdest thing they had ever done one holiday and there were some slightly strange answers and then a middle-aged guy said ''I kicked an armadillo.''

Apparently, he went on a guided nature tour and the thing walked out in front of him, he panicked, so he kicked it and it went flying over the tree

Pfft, that really did make me laugh! Was the comedian on TV?

Hope you enjoy Sinterklaas, Linde- is that the festival involving oranges/coal in shoes? (Or am I thinking of something else?)

I hope everyone's OK about George today.

a-hard-days-night-george-9hearta-hard-days-night-george-10heartahdn_george_08

Yeah it's kinda like Christmas but different. Just google for some pictures. It's actually for children but we still celebrate it in a different way. He arrives on a boat with ''Black Peters'' (zwarte pieten in Dutch) and the story basically goes that he goes over the roofs with his horse and the Zwarte Pieten with a bag of presents and the Zwarte Pieten go through the chimney and put a present in your shoe as you put it in front of the fireplace (if you have one) the night before. And you also have to sing a Sinterklaas song. Sometimes kids put oranges or carrots in their shoe ''for the horse''. Next day you'll come downstairs and find some presents and candy (Pepernoten mostly) in your shoe. On 5 December it's ''Pakjesavond'' and that's when he comes to your house (my parents used to hire an actor when we still believed in it) or when you just have a bag of presents ''he left''. 

This 800 year old man obviously doesn't exist, but it is derived from a myth. Also, his entrance is always filmed and broadcasted and we always used to watch that when we were little. He also arrives in other places, like here, in Almelo. There are a lot of Sinterklazen. Anyway, there's basically one actor who appears in public and on tv shows the most.

Okay, the way we celebrate it now, now my little brother and sister are nearly adults too, is a very common way. We make little wishlists and we write or name on it. We then put it in a box and draw lots. Usually you then buy some presents, make an often funny poem about the person whose lot you got and then you also craft something funny together. We don't actually do the crafting, because no one really had the time. We only did this for 5 euros, because my parents and grandma also just bought presents for us, to kinda keep the old tradition going. This is the first time we do the lot thing, so this is more just a test. In school we also used to draw lots for SInterklaas, in primary school.

Anyway, it's not just giving presents as they're being put in a jute bag, which is the bag ''Sinterklaas'' usually puts the presents in and brings them with him. It's always very nice and cozy and all. It's just the whole sphere of laughing at the poems, eating pepernoten and unwrapping the gifts.

Some people also just celebrate Christmas with presents here, or both Christmas and Sinterklaas. We only celebrate Sinterklaas with presents and even though I'm a huge Christmasfan and I love to decorate the house and all, I just wouldn't want it to be switched. I'm just used at celebrating Sinterklaas with presents.

I hope I explained it well, but I think that if you really want to know what it is about, you'll have to use Google, as I'm horrible at explaining things a-hard-days-night-john-6

3 December 2012
5.07pm
bikelock28
Standing There
Carnegie Hall
Forum Posts: 230
3491sp_Permalink

Yeah it's kinda like Christmas but different. Just google for some pictures. It's actually for children but we still celebrate it in a different way. He arrives on a boat with ''Black Peters'' (zwarte pieten in Dutch) and the story basically goes that he goes over the roofs with his horse and the Zwarte Pieten with a bag of presents and the Zwarte Pieten go through the chimney and put a present in your shoe as you put it in front of the fireplace (if you have one) the night before. And you also have to sing a Sinterklaas song. Sometimes kids put oranges or carrots in their shoe ''for the horse''. Next day you'll come downstairs and find some presents and candy (Pepernoten mostly) in your shoe. On 5 December it's ''Pakjesavond'' and that's when he comes to your house (my parents used to hire an actor when we still believed in it) or when you just have a bag of presents ''he left''.

This 800 year old man obviously doesn't exist, but it is derived from a myth. Also, his entrance is always filmed and broadcasted and we always used to watch that when we were little. He also arrives in other places, like here, in Almelo. There are a lot of Sinterklazen. Anyway, there's basically one actor who appears in public and on tv shows the most.

Okay, the way we celebrate it now, now my little brother and sister are nearly adults too, is a very common way. We make little wishlists and we write or name on it. We then put it in a box and draw lots. Usually you then buy some presents, make an often funny poem about the person whose lot you got and then you also craft something funny together. We don't actually do the crafting, because no one really had the time. We only did this for 5 euros, because my parents and grandma also just bought presents for us, to kinda keep the old tradition going. This is the first time we do the lot thing, so this is more just a test. In school we also used to draw lots for SInterklaas, in primary school.

Anyway, it's not just giving presents as they're being put in a jute bag, which is the bag ''Sinterklaas'' usually puts the presents in and brings them with him. It's always very nice and cozy and all. It's just the whole sphere of laughing at the poems, eating pepernoten and unwrapping the gifts.

Some people also just celebrate Christmas with presents here, or both Christmas and Sinterklaas. We only celebrate Sinterklaas with presents and even though I'm a huge Christmasfan and I love to decorate the house and all, I just wouldn't want it to be switched. I'm just used at celebrating Sinterklaas with presentsI hope I explained it well, but I think that if you really want to know what it is about, you'll have to use Google, as I'm horrible at explaining things a-hard-days-night-john-6

Cheers for all that Linde. I actually find it really interesting how other countries celebrate Chirstmas.

Does anyone know what vocal range Elvis was?

"I don't think we were actually swimming, as it were, with shirts on, 'cos we always wear overcoats when we're swimming,"-

George Harrison, Australia, June 1964

6 December 2012
3.17am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2093
3495sp_Permalink

And now for something completely different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....-WBKah3uwg

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
6 December 2012
2.33pm
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 17201
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
3496sp_Permalink

A fantastic night-time picture of Earth called Black Marble. The BBC have an article about it

Black MarbleImage Enlarger

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
9 December 2012
12.02am
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 17201
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
3498sp_Permalink

Im not much of a reactor to news, it comes and it goes live goes on, but some things make me stop and go "YIKES!". And one of those is the report that the UK have evidence that Syria are getting ready to use chemical weapons (tho they also claimed they had evidence of WMD's and that was a lie).

That concerns me.

In other news its fricken cold in Scotland.

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: meanmistermustard, Annadog40, Merch, Beatles007, Evangeline
53 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
3 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 17188

Ahhh Girl: 10784

Annadog40: 9799

Zig: 7584

parlance: 7092