The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread | Page 174 | All together now | Fab forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
9 November 2012
6.27pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2205

Wow, I didn't think the Nielson ratings had any relevence left in the age of Netflix and timeshifting and whatnot.

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
9 November 2012
6.32pm
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2093

BluemeanAl said
So for something completely different (not that the birther debate doesn't have its conspiracy-theory charms):  my wife informs me that we're about to be a Nielson family.  Yes, folks in the US, what is available for you to watch on TV is about to be inordinately influenced by the likes of us:  white, middle class, childless baby boomers who time-shift nearly everything that we watch on television. 

We have some experience with this, by the way.  In the mid-80s we spent three years on the Nielson team.  Our viewing habits were undoubtedly responsible for the popularity of a whole slew of classic 80s shows.  Shows like...like...mmm...well, I can't actually remember the shows, but they must be classics!

So let me know if you've got a jones for a particular show that needs a rating boost -- maybe we can work out a deal.  As the Nielson compensation for our services is, I guess amusing would be the kind way to put it (we used to get two very crisp dollar bills with each diary that arrived in the mail -- I used to wonder whose job it was to stuff THOSE envelopes, stacks of uncirculated bills on one side, stacks of diaries and envelopes on the other), monetary donations would go a long way toward furthering your cause.

(If the Nielson police are now monitoring my posts, my donation solicitation here is a JOKE!  We feel that it is a privilege to do this work for you for free so that your company can make scads of cash from the fruits of our labor-- apparently all of it in stacks of fresh-from-the-mint $1 bills.)

It seems like television and movies are being revolutionized by the new digital media, including phones and Internet.  There may come a day not to distant in the future when people won't "watch TV" or "go to the movies" anymore, but will simply dial up whatever they want to watch on their computer.  Similarly with music -- though music has the dimension of the live concert which probably can never be replaced. 

At the very least, you'd think the Nielsen organization would do its sampling via Internet; or are they still quaintly stuck in the 1950s?

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
9 November 2012
7.38pm
BluemeanAl
North Carolina, USA
The Top Ten Club
Forum Posts: 64

Good question...(and thanks, Nielsen, not Nielson -- I thought something looked wrong there).  It sounds like we are getting a diary, but I wasn't on the phone call.  I know that there are "people meters" of some sort, no idea how they work.  And how you watch shows (TV, computer, tablet, phone, direct feed to the brain, shadow puppets, whatever), when you watch (live, delayed, and for me at least, sometimes delayed by weeks or months), and stuff like channel-surfing, certainly renders the old model obsolete.  Even in the 80s we were time-shifting with our VCR, and that was not really adequately accounted-for then, IMO.

We used to have a meter on our television, which basically kept track of what times/how long the TV was on -- but not which channel and not whether anyone was watching (my wife is semi-home-bound and so one of our TVs is on all day long providing background noise for her, but she's not "watching" anything during most of that time).  On the diary we needed to account for all of those "on" hours, which was next to impossible.  We cheated the system at times, in that if the power went out, the meter reset itself to zero.  We had a lot of "power outages" (whoops!  Did this thing come unplugged again??) as a result so that we didn't need to fill in each and every 15 min block of time during the day.

The entire concept seems archaic, doesn't it?  Yet it still lives on, and so far, still "counts" when it comes to advertising dollars.  Given that I hate being surveyed and am likely to give an off-the-wall answer just to mess with the outcome of the survey, I'm probably not the best choice for this sort of thing.  Plus we're geezers now...advertisers really don't like us.  Whatever shows we watch will end up with a bunch of AARP, healthcare, and adult diaper commercials.

We'll see.

It's gotta be rock and roll music if you wanna dance with me
9 November 2012
8.06pm
goodbyehello
The Jersey Shore-yeah, that one....
The Jacaranda
Forum Posts: 26

I just read this whole thread!a-hard-days-night-paul-10

9 November 2012
8.26pm
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 10531

I just read this whole thread!
Really! All 174 pages. Must have taken a while. Did it make any sense?

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
9 November 2012
8.49pm
goodbyehello
The Jersey Shore-yeah, that one....
The Jacaranda
Forum Posts: 26

meanmistermustard said
I just read this whole thread!
Really! All 174 pages. Must have taken a while. Did it make any sense?

I don't know- I feel completely disoriented now. Where am I?a-hard-days-night-john-3

9 November 2012
10.14pm
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop

"Even in the 80s we were time-shifting with our VCR, and that was not really adequately accounted-for then, IMO."

There was an amusing scene in the first Back to the Future movie, where Michael J. Fox is sitting around the dinner table with the family who took him in when he went backward in time to the 1950s (the teenage daughter who has a crush on him being the person who will, in the future, grow up to be his own mother!), and the TV is on (black and white of course) and a famous popular show comes on, and Michael -- who has been carefully pretending to be normal and not from the future -- blurts out without thinking:

"Oh, I saw that one -- it's funny"

And the teenage girl says in bewilderment:

"What!?  How could you have seen that show?  It's just now starting...!"

Of course, they didn't even have the concept of "re-runs" back then.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...
10 November 2012
12.58am
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop

Whenever I want to feel old, I just remind myself that "Back To The Future" (which I saw in the theatre as a teenager) is significantly FURTHER back in the past than Marty McFly traveled!

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
13 November 2012
4.53pm
bikelock28
Standing There
Carnegie Hall
Forum Posts: 230

Is it? Doesn't Marty travel to from 1985 to 1955? That's 30 years, and if its 2012 now its 27 years since 1985....I heard that they're remaking them when its the 30th anniversary.

"I don't think we were actually swimming, as it were, with shirts on, 'cos we always wear overcoats when we're swimming,"-

George Harrison, Australia, June 1964

13 November 2012
6.09pm
meanmistermustard

I hope their not remaking Back To The Future. Cant they let films age without having to 'modernise' them for a new audience? Surely people are capable of watching old films on dvd without going gee wouldnt this be so much better with fancy new effects and swishy noises and garbled dialogue that is so flat you couldnt get an ameba beneath it?

Why dont the film companies just say we want your cash but cant be bothered coming up with a new idea so have decided to remake an oldie?

On a different subject The Beatles song Taxman got a Football Ground announcer fired. The tannoy man played it during half-time of the Scottlish Premier League Hibernian v Dundee United match on Sunday as a dig at their closest rivals Hearts (or Heart of Midlothian) who are struggling to survive after being hit with a winding up order by the Taxman.

Taxman was also played at a lot of Scottish grounds when Rangers were being chased for unpaid tax bills (but no one got fired).

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
13 November 2012
7.43pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop

OK duh, for some reason I was thinking Marty traveled back 20 years instead of 30 - a problem I wouldn't have had if I'd only stopped to reflect that he was travelling from the '80s back to the '50s! (Bonehead.)

15 November 2012
2.33am
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop

My favorite line from Back to the Future (besides the one I quoted above) is when Marty is trying to convince someone (finally) that he's from the future, and that person, skeptical, says:  "Okay, tell me who's President in the future."

"Ronald Reagan," says Marty.

The skeptic roars with laughter, and says:

"I suppose you're also going to tell me that Jack Benny is Secretary of State!"

15 November 2012
10.06pm
bikelock28
Standing There
Carnegie Hall
Forum Posts: 230

The best bit has to be in the first one, when Marty says, "This one's an oldie....well, it's an oldie where I come from," and then rips into Johnny B Goode (that version was the when I realsied how rock 'n' roll is) and then the guy is on the phone to Chuck Berry.

Although actually, my favourite out of the BttF films is the second one. Not many people like it, but I think it is the most exciting because of the dead-Dad threat and the bit where he has to go back again to the disco in 1955and not run into himself. Its just a shame that there probably won't be flying skateboards and automatically lace-up shoes in 2015.

MMM- apparently the BttF films are being re-amde for 2015 and Justin Beiber will play Marty. I read it in a dumb magazine a while ago. Its probably not true, so don't worry!

VB- Imagine if Marty did  travel back to 1965....look out, Shea Stadium!

"I don't think we were actually swimming, as it were, with shirts on, 'cos we always wear overcoats when we're swimming,"-

George Harrison, Australia, June 1964

15 November 2012
10.24pm
Funny Paper
America
Apple rooftop

bikelock28 said
 The best bit has to be in the first one, when Marty says, "This one's an oldie....well, it's an oldie where I come from," and then rips into Johnny B Goode (that version was the when I realsied how rock 'n' roll is) and then the guy is on the phone to Chuck Berry.

Although actually, my favourite out of the BttF films is the second one. Not many people like it, but I think it is the most exciting because of the dead-Dad threat and the bit where he has to go back again to the disco in 1955and not run into himself. Its just a shame that there probably won't be flying skateboards and automatically lace-up shoes in 2015.

MMM- apparently the BttF films are being re-amde for 2015 and Justin Beiber will play Marty. I read it in a dumb magazine a while ago. Its probably not true, so don't worry!

VB- Imagine if Marty did  travel back to 1965....look out, Shea Stadium!

Wow, I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I didn't know there was more than one Back to the Future film!  All this time.  I'll have to check out the other ones.

15 November 2012
11.30pm
meanmistermustard

That Justin Beiber story surely is made-up garbage. I saw him in CSI and a piece of wood would have done a better job.

I liked the first 2 but found the third to be one too many, it didnt work for me for some reason, just couldnt get into it.

Like Bikelock i liked the second for the whole cannot meet himself angle but the first two are fabulous films and never get tiring no matter how many times i see them.

16 November 2012
4.32pm
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2251

Back To The Future reboot:

1985 Citizen: So you say you're from the year 2011? OK wise guy, tell me who's the Governor of California?

Marty McFly: Arnold Schwarzeneggar.

1985 Citzen: The weightlifter?! Haw haw haw, yeah right! And I suppose the President is black!

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
18 November 2012
4.53pm
thewordislove94
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 198

Twinkies have so much chemical preservatives that would probably survive a nuclear attack, but they could not survive a labor strike. Someone has to have one from 1985...I wonder what it looks like...

two-virgins 

"The world is a very serious and, at times, very sad place - but at other times it is all such a joke."-George Harrison
19 November 2012
7.13pm
annab93
Over the Rainbow
Royal Command Performance
Forum Posts: 117

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 same with a hamburger from McDonald's. everyone is freaking out because Hostess apparently went out of business, but I never cared for the food. mainly because of all the preservatives!

You make your own dream.
25 November 2012
3.27am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651

Hi everybody. How have you been? I'm on vacations a-hard-days-night-ringo-10a-hard-days-night-ringo-10a-hard-days-night-ringo-10

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
25 November 2012
1.33pm
meanmistermustard

Mithapple01 Vacation timeheart Work and life still hectic for you i presume so enjoy your hols like never before. Nice to see you here again. 

My laptop broke down for the 3rd time in 20 months - piece of crap.

Anyone seen Sun King?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: Joe, Atlas, Beatleva
54 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 10531

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

Ahhh Girl: 5622

parlance: 5584

Annadog40: 4839

mithveaen: 4651

Zig: 4597

Mr. Kite: 4384

Ron Nasty: 3229

fabfouremily: 2949

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 88

Members: 2696

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3145

Newest Members: lematalk65, rzleromer, JonoTheFifthBeatle, LennonMcCartney, You Know My Name

Moderators: Ahhh Girl: 5622, meanmistermustard: 10531, Zig: 4597, Joe: 3497

Administrators: Joe: 3497, Ellie: 1

Members Birthdays
Today: None
Upcoming: None