Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
4 November 2012
11.41am
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3441sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper said

fabfouremily said
Please don´t – that would be a tiny bit racist.

What race is Islam again?

Islam is a religion. So talking about the ”problem with Islam” didn´t seem quite right somehow.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

4 November 2012
3.01pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 6402
3442sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s still racist to diss an entire f***ing religion. I really don’t think dissing Islam as a homogeneous group of people gets you very far.

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

4 November 2012
3.32pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944

Is it?
Surely its the context and content of the work, its approach, how it is written? Or are religions not to be questioned.
We havent even read what Funny Paper would have said yet. There is a book called ‘The Problem with Christianity’ by Josiah Roycs (do a google search as i cant post links).
Taken by whats been said that book is wrong yet the description is
“This new paperback edition of Royce’s late masterpiece presents his philosophical interpretation of Christianity’s fundamental ideas — community, sin, atonement, and saving grace — and shows their relevance to the current confluence of world religions.”

I doubt anyone here is promoting anti-islam or any other religion (there is no place for anything like that at all ever) but all religions should be open to discussion. At the very least we should wait to see what would have been written before jumping in the air.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 November 2012
7.32pm
bikelock28
Standing There
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 228
3444sp_Permalink sp_Print

A Bit Of George-Lovin’

Today I was explaning the Beatles break-up to a friend of mine who is a complete Beatles-ignoramus (she didn’t know that they sang I Want To Hold Your Hand a-hard-days-night-ringo-6). I was explaining about the White Album and I was like, “The most well-known song on it is probably While My Guitar Gently Weeps ,” and later on I was explaining about Abbey Road and I was like, “The most well-known song on it is probably Here Comes The Sun …or Something ,” and I realised that they were all Harrison songs. And I felt so happy that George’s songs are the best-known on two of the most highly-rated Beatle albums. So yeah, there’s my bit of George-lovin’ for this evening. ahdn_george_08

The following people thank bikelock28 for this post:

Beatlebug

"I don't think we were actually swimming, as it were, with shirts on, 'cos we always wear overcoats when we're swimming,"-

George Harrison, Australia, June 1964

5 November 2012
8.12pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5447
3445sp_Permalink sp_Print

I believe Funny Paper was mostly just making a joke about the alleged un-derailibility of this thread that its title promises. (I think…)

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

6 November 2012
2.54am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4621
3446sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi there.

I’m around.. just very busy. And very sick. A little problem in my lungs, nothing that tons of orange juice and medicine. So please send some good vibes to me ok?

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

7 November 2012
2.42pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3447sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not wanting to start a political debate but absolutely delighted and very relieved that Obama won a second term in the US Elections. Romney’s policies scared the living crap out of me at times.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 November 2012
8.26pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
3448sp_Permalink sp_Print

I knew Obama was going to win again, but I was still a little disappointed. It was getting a little intense with Florida and Ohio for awhile, though. 

I guess the NAACP were outside of a voting place handing out water, lol. Who are these people? Shouldn’t that organization be dead? I don’t know why but I just thought that was really funny.

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

7 November 2012
9.33pm
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members
3449sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aw, hope you’re feeling better, Mithvaean. Best wishes & lots of oranges & apples :)

In other news, is Donald Trump a super-colossal buffoon or what?

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

7 November 2012
9.47pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3450sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did Trump ever have to pay the $5m that he put up if Obama’s birth certificate or college enrolement form was ever produced?
Never got this fascination in all of that, its just idiocy in my opinion. The same kind as those who were/are intent in believing that Paul was/is dead or Elvis was/is alive.

7 November 2012
10.17pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
3451sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Did Trump ever have to pay the $5m that he put up if Obama’s birth certificate or college enrolement form was ever produced?
Never got this fascination in all of that, its just idiocy in my opinion. The same kind as those who were/are intent in believing that Paul was/is dead or Elvis was/is alive.

Yes, I can see how it could seem that way, if you haven’t taken the time and trouble to acquaint yourself with the relevant data of the case.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

7 November 2012
10.39pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3452sp_Permalink sp_Print

Isnt the whole thing that supposedly Obama was born outside of the US and therefore is ineligible to run for the presidency and so cannot be President. One of the ways to remove all doubt is if his birth certificate is shown (not from an Obama source because it could be doctored) or any other document that would be sufficent (eg a college enrolement form). So far this has not been done to any suffience level and so the stories go on.
I havent studied it in any detail but thats what ive picked up from the bbc and a few other places. I’m willing to be wrong on all of that.

8 November 2012
12.07am
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 6402
3453sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper said

meanmistermustard said

Yes, I can see how it could seem that way, if you haven’t taken the time and trouble to acquaint yourself with the relevant data of the case.

Except I am well versed in birther talking points and it s insanity.

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

9 November 2012
4.22am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4621
3454sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Von Bontee. apple01

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

9 November 2012
9.29am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3455sp_Permalink sp_Print

mr. Sun king coming together said

Funny Paper said

meanmistermustard said

Except I am well versed in birther talking points and it s insanity.

Saying you are, and being, are not necessarily the same thing.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

9 November 2012
11.33am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Im sorry but Trump has now come out, said the result was a farce and tried to get people to march in Washington. Somehow the result was an injustice despite the people freely having their say. Obama won, get over it and work together to bring the country together by finding solutions to the issues that separate the nation.

I thought he was good in the Apprentice US but based on this and the Scottish Windmill/Golf Course strop he comes across as a pillock.

9 November 2012
12.41pm
BluemeanAl
North Carolina, USA
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 163

So for something completely different (not that the birther debate doesn’t have its conspiracy-theory charms):  my wife informs me that we’re about to be a Nielson family.  Yes, folks in the US, what is available for you to watch on TV is about to be inordinately influenced by the likes of us:  white, middle class, childless baby boomers who time-shift nearly everything that we watch on television. 

We have some experience with this, by the way.  In the mid-80s we spent three years on the Nielson team.  Our viewing habits were undoubtedly responsible for the popularity of a whole slew of classic 80s shows.  Shows like…like…mmm…well, I can’t actually remember the shows, but they must be classics!

So let me know if you’ve got a jones for a particular show that needs a rating boost — maybe we can work out a deal.  As the Nielson compensation for our services is, I guess amusing would be the kind way to put it (we used to get two very crisp dollar bills with each diary that arrived in the mail — I used to wonder whose job it was to stuff THOSE envelopes, stacks of uncirculated bills on one side, stacks of diaries and envelopes on the other), monetary donations would go a long way toward furthering your cause.

(If the Nielson police are now monitoring my posts, my donation solicitation here is a JOKE!  We feel that it is a privilege to do this work for you for free so that your company can make scads of cash from the fruits of our labor– apparently all of it in stacks of fresh-from-the-mint $1 bills.)

It's gotta be rock and roll music if you wanna dance with me

9 November 2012
6.27pm
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members
3458sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, I didn’t think the Nielson ratings had any relevence left in the age of Netflix and timeshifting and whatnot.

9 November 2012
6.32pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3459sp_Permalink sp_Print

BluemeanAl said
So for something completely different (not that the birther debate doesn’t have its conspiracy-theory charms):  my wife informs me that we’re about to be a Nielson family.  Yes, folks in the US, what is available for you to watch on TV is about to be inordinately influenced by the likes of us:  white, middle class, childless baby boomers who time-shift nearly everything that we watch on television. 

We have some experience with this, by the way.  In the mid-80s we spent three years on the Nielson team.  Our viewing habits were undoubtedly responsible for the popularity of a whole slew of classic 80s shows.  Shows like…like…mmm…well, I can’t actually remember the shows, but they must be classics!

So let me know if you’ve got a jones for a particular show that needs a rating boost — maybe we can work out a deal.  As the Nielson compensation for our services is, I guess amusing would be the kind way to put it (we used to get two very crisp dollar bills with each diary that arrived in the mail — I used to wonder whose job it was to stuff THOSE envelopes, stacks of uncirculated bills on one side, stacks of diaries and envelopes on the other), monetary donations would go a long way toward furthering your cause.

(If the Nielson police are now monitoring my posts, my donation solicitation here is a JOKE!  We feel that it is a privilege to do this work for you for free so that your company can make scads of cash from the fruits of our labor– apparently all of it in stacks of fresh-from-the-mint $1 bills.)

It seems like television and movies are being revolutionized by the new digital media, including phones and Internet.  There may come a day not to distant in the future when people won’t “watch TV” or “go to the movies” anymore, but will simply dial up whatever they want to watch on their computer.  Similarly with music — though music has the dimension of the live concert which probably can never be replaced. 

At the very least, you’d think the Nielsen organization would do its sampling via Internet; or are they still quaintly stuck in the 1950s?

9 November 2012
7.38pm
BluemeanAl
North Carolina, USA
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 163
3460sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good question…(and thanks, Nielsen, not Nielson — I thought something looked wrong there).  It sounds like we are getting a diary, but I wasn’t on the phone call.  I know that there are “people meters” of some sort, no idea how they work.  And how you watch shows (TV, computer, tablet, phone, direct feed to the brain, shadow puppets, whatever), when you watch (live, delayed, and for me at least, sometimes delayed by weeks or months), and stuff like channel-surfing, certainly renders the old model obsolete.  Even in the 80s we were time-shifting with our VCR, and that was not really adequately accounted-for then, IMO.

We used to have a meter on our television, which basically kept track of what times/how long the TV was on — but not which channel and not whether anyone was watching (my wife is semi-home-bound and so one of our TVs is on all day long providing background noise for her, but she’s not “watching” anything during most of that time).  On the diary we needed to account for all of those “on” hours, which was next to impossible.  We cheated the system at times, in that if the power went out, the meter reset itself to zero.  We had a lot of “power outages” (whoops!  Did this thing come unplugged again??) as a result so that we didn’t need to fill in each and every 15 min block of time during the day.

The entire concept seems archaic, doesn’t it?  Yet it still lives on, and so far, still “counts” when it comes to advertising dollars.  Given that I hate being surveyed and am likely to give an off-the-wall answer just to mess with the outcome of the survey, I’m probably not the best choice for this sort of thing.  Plus we’re geezers now…advertisers really don’t like us.  Whatever shows we watch will end up with a bunch of AARP, healthcare, and adult diaper commercials.

We’ll see.

It's gotta be rock and roll music if you wanna dance with me

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Mr. Heath
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2857
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690