Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
22 October 2012
5.22pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 6402
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3401sp_Permalink sp_Print

Whatever your school believes, you can’t be stopped because of their beliefs.
Anyways, Bruce was AMAZING!!! It was somewhat recent heavy, but I really love his recent stuff. And my friend sang with Bruce. I am so jealous.

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

22 October 2012
8.03pm
annab93
Over the Rainbow
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 117
3402sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dipsy, I believe that if you present your opinion in a grown up way and back up your argument, you can make a good point that is very clearly your opinion on the situation. I believe that you should not be penalized for expressing your opinion and you have every right to talk about what you believe. Best of luck! a-hard-days-night-george-9

You make your own dream.

22 October 2012
8.28pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
3403sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said
Hm, a friend of mine saw Springsteen at the Skydome back in August for the first time and was a bit underwhelmed. Said there was too much recent material, of which he isn’t fond. (Me, I get off the Springsteen bus after “Born In The USA” and don’t think he ever topped his ’70s albums.)

Hope you have a good time all the same!

My stop was a few before that – I stopped paying attention after Darkness on the Edge of Town. I hear his concerts are legendary, though.

mr. Sun king coming together said

Bruce was AMAZING!!!
It was somewhat recent heavy, but I really love his recent stuff. And my friend sang with Bruce. I am so jealous.

And there is your proof – glad you enjoyed it, Sun King . How did your friend get on stage?a-hard-days-night-ringo-7

Turned left at the amp column?

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

22 October 2012
8.33pm
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
3404sp_Permalink sp_Print

Really? You left after Darkness? The River is basically Darkness part 2 (and 3).
As for my friend… Bruce has a middle stage, which, as he sang Hungry Heart, he went on. Because my friend had floor seats, he was right at the middle stage as Bruce sang Hungry Heart. I am still so jealous.

22 October 2012
8.45pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3405sp_Permalink sp_Print

mr. Sun king coming together said
Really? You left after Darkness? The River is basically Darkness part 2 (and 3).

Not fair to Bruce, I guess – it’s just that there was a lot of really bad music in the 80’s. Radio as a whole starting sucking really bad and The Boss just got caught up in the giant toilet swirlie that it became. If I look at the track list of The River, I could probably find some I like. Wasn’t “Out in the Street” on that album? I really like that song.

Anyway, glad to hear you had a great time. I have friends who are to Springsteen as I am to The Beatles and they say he can still bring it.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

23 October 2012
12.05am
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448
3406sp_Permalink sp_Print

1984 was the GREATEST year for radio in my lifetime! (Or at least the greatest radio year of my adolescence.)

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

23 October 2012
2.38am
Dipsy
Turned left at Greenland
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 238

annab93 said
Dipsy, I believe that if you present your opinion in a grown up way and back up your argument, you can make a good point that is very clearly your opinion on the situation. I believe that you should not be penalized for expressing your opinion and you have every right to talk about what you believe. Best of luck! a-hard-days-night-george-9

Thanks, Anna. a-hard-days-night-john-6hearta-hard-days-night-john-6 I actually wound up giving a speech on Woodstock because I couldn’t shorten my tirade (tho it was indeed written in a mature and nonjudgmental manner) to three minutes. Curse time limits… ahdn_george_05

"I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know? I'm just one of those people."

23 October 2012
8.53pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3408sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said
1984 was the GREATEST year for radio in my lifetime! (Or at least the greatest radio year of my adolescence.)

You could have stopped there…it was the year I was married. heart

I Googled the top 10 songs from 1984 and am hard pressed to find one I liked. This is not questioning your taste at all. The fact that I don’t like these songs means absolutely nothing. Here they are…

1. When Doves Cry -Prince and The Revolution
2. What’s Love Got to Do With It – Tina Turner
3. Say Say Say – Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson
4. Footloose – Kenny Loggins
5. Against All Odds (Take a Look At Me Now)  – Phil Collins
6. Jump – Van Halen
7. Hello -Lionel Richie
8. Owner of a Lonely Heart – Yes
9. Ghostbusters – Ray Parker Jr.
10. Karma Chameleon – Culture Club

Here is the link to a top 100 of 1984 in case you want to stroll down Memory Lane. Notice I said a list, not the list. There could be others.

apple01

The following people thank Zig for this post:

vonbontee

23 October 2012
9.47pm
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members
3409sp_Permalink sp_Print

I admit I only like about half of that top ten…but off the top of my head, Zig, here’s ten from about January if memory serves:

1.John Lennon , “Nobody Told Me” (haw haw, cheating to include that one first, I know!)
2. Pretenders, “Middle of the Road”
3. Van Halen, “Jump” (GREAT song, even if it’s been vastly overplayed over the years and sorry if you hate it…)
4. John Mellencamp, “The Authority Song”
5. The Romantics, “Talking In Your Sleep”
6. Cyndi Lauper, “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” (another one you probably hated then and maybe now, sorry)
7. Sherry Kean, “I Want You Back” (Canadian hit, you wouldn’t know that one)
8. Pointer Sisters, “Automatic”
9. Big Country, “Fields of Fire”
10. Nena, “99 Luftbaloons” (another one you probably hate!)

And so many others, classics like “Legs” and “Dancing in the Dark” and “When Doves Cry” and “Boys of Summer” and “Round and Round”. I really think it was a remarkable year, singles-wise, for the variety of stuff that got played. And that’s not just oh-I-wish-I-was-16-again nostalgia talking – no WAY would I want to go back to high school again! I was much less miserable two years later, in college in 1986; by which time the radio SUCKED!

(Anyways, remember that I have a tolerance for trashy things like disco and bubblegum and hair-metal…)

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

23 October 2012
9.57pm
The Walrus
Working for the national health
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1026
3410sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said

My dad turned 50 last week, I got him one song from every year that I thought he’d like. 1984 was one where I struggled (along with ’90, ’96, ’99 and ’00). Ended up getting Born In The USA, and cheating on the other years, otherwise he would have had a load of Phil Collins songs. He hates Phil Collins.

I told her I didn’t 

23 October 2012
10.23pm
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
3411sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don’t even get me started on 1984… with the exception of Dancing in the Dark*, there was pretty much nothing good that year. (Well, What’s Love Got To Do With It is also good, but still). I still say music basically took a nosedive in 1979, which basically everyone felt, although good albums still came after (The River, some REM). It was saved in 1991/2 with the punk explosion, and has split since.
* Note on Dancing In The Dark – on top of being a fantastic song, it has the greatest music video I’ve ever seen. Hands down the best song of both the year, but arguably the decade – although that’s not certain.

23 October 2012
10.36pm
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members

That remark about the punk explosion of 1991-2 reminds me of this Onion piece:

http://www.theonion.com/articl…..oday,1486/

And I won’t allow you old fogeys and young fogeys to speak ill of the year of Prince and Husker Du and the Minutemen and Cyndi Lauper and Twisted Sister and Tina Turner and Saint Vitus and Metallica and Stevie Ray Vaughan and Voivod and the Butthole Surfers and the Replacements ANY MORE!

(Hell, even R.E.M. and U2 released a decent album apiece that year, for about the first and last time ever!)

24 October 2012
12.56am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
3413sp_Permalink sp_Print

Anyone know any ways of dealing with anxiety? There will a thousand sites online but thought someone would have a helpful idea.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

24 October 2012
12.11pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3414sp_Permalink sp_Print

One of my aunts had a rough time with panic attacks related to anxiety. She told us once that grounding herself helped tremendously. Basically, it is self-talk that brings everything back to its simplest form. If she started to feel anxious, she would talk to herself about what she was doing. “This is me walking down the sidewalk…This is me walking past this person walking the other way…This is me waiting for traffic to clear in order to cross the road….This is me crossing the road…”

At family gatherings, you could actually see her talking to herself (not out loud). I would give her a wink as if to say, “way to go”! I’m sure there were other exercises she would go through but she said that one helped the most.

Hope that helps.mal-evans

24 October 2012
1.59pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3415sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the post Zig, i get what you are saying and it does work as its what i try at times. However my thoughts at family get togethers are how can i get out of here fastest; im not a social being and so anything like that is run for the hills and join Max and the rest of the Blue Meanies territory (i would get to meet the cartoon beatles which is a plus).

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

24 October 2012
2.14pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3416sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, families can be a trial. Don’t get me wrong, I love my family dearly. But, living in a different state has it’s advantages. There is much to be said for that 5 1/2 hour drive buffer zone that makes me love them even more!

Good luck, my friend and say hello to Max.

24 October 2012
2.21pm
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
3417sp_Permalink sp_Print

And a further good luck from me, MMM. It can’t be a fun thing a-hard-days-night-george-10.
Also, if I may, can someone answer me this question? Did the Beatles ever use the eventual name of a future song – in a song lyric before it was released? I was listening to Springsteen’s Backstreets, and the line goes, “Slow dancing in the dark”. Did the Beatles (or hell, anyone for that matter) ever do that?

24 October 2012
3.53pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3418sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks MSK.

As for your questiond, depends on how you look at it i suppose. You could say Girl is in Thank You Girl and every song mentioning Girl pre Rubber Soul  but its tedious as is Wait in Please Mister Postman . There may be others but nothing i can think of. I do have a feeling there is at least one proper one however, its nagging in my mind, but i dont know. 

Going in the opposite you do have later references to earlier beatles tracks, some are obvious (Glass Onion mentions a few earlier beatle tracks (Strawberry Fields, Fixing A Hole etc); Ob-la-di… is refered to in Savoy Truffle, All You Need Is Love having calls of Yesterday and She Loves You ), some not so much (Ringo calls out I Feel Fine  during Honey Dont which must be a reference, Tell Me Why is noted by John just before the guitar solo in What Goes On (“i already told you why”).

John calls out “can you dig it?” during the Dont Let Me Down coda but Dig It was one of Johns phrases of the month.

And moving away further the distinctive guitar jabs in She’s A Woman are used again in Another Girl . The Beatles not only nicked off other artists they also nicked off themselves. 

Would make an interesting topic; Beatles Songs that feature parts of other Beatles songs..

24 October 2012
4.02pm
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
3419sp_Permalink sp_Print

And one I’d make if i wasn’t rushing out the door. Thanks for the help.

24 October 2012
5.11pm
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members
3420sp_Permalink sp_Print

This topic reminds me of the first copy of Please Please Me I owned, an unannotated cassette recorded from a friend’s CD in ’87. (Didn’t own my own CD player until ’90.) I used to confuse “Misery ” with “Ask Me Why “, since the word “Misery ” features so prominently in the latter song, and I knew that there was a track actually called “Misery ” on the album. Not until I got my own CD copy in the early ’90s did I get that personal confusion sorted out…

Anyways, the “…love is more/Than just holding hands” in “If I Fell ” is presumably a nod to a big hit, likewise the “Yeah, yeah yeah!” in “Polythene Pam “, maybe.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691