Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
27 September 2012
10.15pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 6402
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3361sp_Permalink sp_Print

My choice to continue in French classes in high school (even though I don’t have to anymore and despise the language) was one of sheer need. In Canada, being a unilingual Anglo will be a hinderance if I attempt to follow any of my three preferred career paths of Law, Journalism or Politics. It’s really a neccessity for me. And I don’t even have hockey that I can watch in French for a while. Dammit.

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

27 September 2012
10.17pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5447

Yeah, I was useless at speaking it too – it’s just so FOREIGN, like you’ve got to swallow your tongue to pronounce things properly. It really is a shame I was too lazy to pursue it past the 9th grade, when it was mandatory – our nation being officially bilingual. (I’ve got the notion of at least fully learning how to READ and WRITE in French however – that’s got to count for something, right?)

xpost AARGH, don’t get me started on that damn hockey lockout! Damn Bettman! Damn them all! (But at least your NFL refs are on the way back to work, I understand, so there’s that.)

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

1 October 2012
1.41am
Dipsy
Turned left at Greenland
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 238
3363sp_Permalink sp_Print

I found an original pressing of the “Like a Rolling Stone” vinyl yesterday! I now have one original Bob Dylan album, Slow Train Coming, and one 45! My soul is smiling. a-hard-days-night-george-9hearta-hard-days-night-george-9

"I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know? I'm just one of those people."

1 October 2012
12.30pm
bluesubmarine
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 16
3364sp_Permalink sp_Print

Does anyone happen to listen to Keane ? Saw them live yesterday and am suffering from major post-concert depression.

"The marks humans leave are too often scars"

1 October 2012
8.15pm
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members
3365sp_Permalink sp_Print

Awesome, Dipsy! I’ve got an original “I Want You”/”Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues (live)” and used to have a 2nd pressing “Blonde On Blonde”. None of the other Dylan vinyl I own(ed) was particularly notable.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

1 October 2012
9.48pm
Dipsy
Turned left at Greenland
Members
3366sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said
Awesome, Dipsy! I’ve got an original “I Want You”/”Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues (live)” and used to have a 2nd pressing “Blonde On Blonde”. None of the other Dylan vinyl I own(ed) was particularly notable.

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Awww, Von, you got rid of your Blonde on Blonde album? a-hard-days-night-paul-7

"I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know? I'm just one of those people."

1 October 2012
10.11pm
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members

Von Bontee said Awesome, Dipsy! I’ve got an original “I Want You”/”Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues (live)” and used to have a 2nd pressing “Blonde On Blonde”. None of the other Dylan vinyl I own(ed) was particularly notable.Awww, Von, you got rid of your Blonde on Blonde album? 
Actually no, come to think of it. I kept that one because the vinyl’s so nice, with that old Columbia “360 Sound” label. (It actually *may* be an original, but I’m not sure, since rare “true” original first pressings have a particular photo in the gatefold that was soon replaced; mine hasn’t got the photo. Whether the ones without are considered 2nd pressings or just another issue of the first pressings is the result of my confusion.) I did get rid of maybe a half-dozen Dylan albums years ago when I replaced ’em with CDs. Or alternatively didn’t bother because they weren’t very good in the first place, lol! Like “Nashville Skyline” and “Slow Train Coming” (sorry).

1 October 2012
10.13pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 6402
3368sp_Permalink sp_Print

On the theme of vinyl pursuits – I just bought the Real Love vinyl single from 1996. Probably overspent, but I won’t see another one for a while.
In other news… I’m facing hockey withdrawals. Ever year since 2005, at this time, I start getting massively over invested in my hockey club. With no hockey (well, NHL hockey) I’m actually desperate for any form of hockey. At least there’s a junior team in town.

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

2 October 2012
12.32am
Dipsy
Turned left at Greenland
Members
3369sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said 
Actually no, come to think of it. I kept that one because the vinyl’s so nice, with that old Columbia “360 Sound” label. (It actually *may* be an original, but I’m not sure, since rare “true” original first pressings have a particular photo in the gatefold that was soon replaced; mine hasn’t got the photo. Whether the ones without are considered 2nd pressings or just another issue of the first pressings is the result of my confusion.) I did get rid of maybe a half-dozen Dylan albums years ago when I replaced ’em with CDs. Or alternatively didn’t bother because they weren’t very good in the first place, lol! Like “Nashville Skyline” and “Slow Train Coming” (sorry).

I agree that Slow Train Coming isn’t exactly his best work, so no offense taken. ahdn_george_08 I just have a habit of buying any Dylan album that I come across on vinyl purely for the joy of owning an original. Truth be told, I’m a bit of a music hoarder lol. a-hard-days-night-george-10

2 October 2012
2.43am
annab93
Over the Rainbow
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 117
3370sp_Permalink sp_Print

To go back to an older topic, Dipsy, I was actually thinking about joining the peace corps and working with young children in Africa after I finish school. I never made the connection that I might need to know French. I’m pretty good at it, but I need to get to taking classes if I want to travel the world! 

You make your own dream.

2 October 2012
2.52am
Dipsy
Turned left at Greenland
Members
3371sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Really?! That’s great, Anna! I’m so glad you want to join the Peace Corps: you’re the first person my age I’ve ever known of who shares my dream. This is exciting news indeed! a-hard-days-night-ringo-6a-hard-days-night-ringo-10ahdn_ringo_09

2 October 2012
3.21pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5690
3372sp_Permalink sp_Print

Von Bontee said
I did get rid of maybe a half-dozen Dylan albums years ago when I replaced ’em with CDs. Or alternatively didn’t bother because they weren’t very good in the first place, lol! Like “Nashville Skyline” and “Slow Train Coming” (sorry).

Ha! Nashville Skyline is one of my favourite Dylan albums. I have it on vinyl and CD. I love the sleepy, country vibe it has. Slow Train Coming is awful though – I think I have that on vinyl too, from when my dad gave me all his old albums.

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

2 October 2012
4.04pm
Von Bontee
Apple rooftop
Members
3373sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, I’ve been told I should give Nashville Skyline another chance.

2 October 2012
6.54pm
annab93
Over the Rainbow
London Palladium
Members
3374sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dipsy said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Really?! That’s great, Anna! I’m so glad you want to join the Peace Corps: you’re the first person my age I’ve ever known of who shares my dream. This is exciting news indeed! a-hard-days-night-ringo-6a-hard-days-night-ringo-10ahdn_ringo_09

Yeah I really want to! I’m studying for an early childhood/special education degree, but I want to do more than just teach in a basic school system, you know? a-hard-days-night-george-9

You make your own dream.

2 October 2012
8.53pm
Dipsy
Turned left at Greenland
Members
3375sp_Permalink sp_Print

annab93 said

Dipsy said

Yeah I really want to! I’m studying for an early childhood/special education degree, but I want to do more than just teach in a basic school system, you know? a-hard-days-night-george-9

So are you thinking of maybe teaching African children through the Peace Corps since you already plan on majoring in Childhood Education? ahdn_george_08

5 October 2012
3.40am
annab93
Over the Rainbow
London Palladium
Members
3376sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dipsy said

annab93 said

Dipsy said

So are you thinking of maybe teaching African children through the Peace Corps since you already plan on majoring in Childhood Education? ahdn_george_08

Pretty much! Setting up schools, working with other members to give them access to proper medical care, clothing, etc so they can come to school ahdn_george_08heart

You make your own dream.

5 October 2012
3.43am
Dipsy
Turned left at Greenland
Members

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 That’s so awesome, Anna! a-hard-days-night-ringo-10 Who knows? Perhaps we shall run into each other some day…? a-hard-days-night-george-10

5 October 2012
7.24pm
Dipsy
Turned left at Greenland
Members
3378sp_Permalink sp_Print

During my Biology class today, I was overcome with a strong desire to write. Consequently, this happened lol. a-hard-days-night-george-10

If I Could Write Like Dylan

If I could write like Dylan,

Would people finally hear

What I’ve always tried to say

Through years of tempered tears?

If I could think like Dylan–

Think the way I write–

Would people scoff and sneer

Or find my thoughts are right?

If I could speak like Dylan,

What is it I’d say?

Would people stop to listen

Or turn their ears away?

But if I could write like Courtney–

Speak and think and write–

People may soon find

That she’s really quite alright.

5 October 2012
8.02pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
3379sp_Permalink sp_Print

Anyone know how to get a new cat back in the house after its broke ranks and disappeared? We’ve had him for 36 hours and he doesnt respond to his name.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 October 2012
8.19pm
The Walrus
Working for the national health
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1026
3380sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Anyone know how to get a new cat back in the house after its broke ranks and disappeared? We’ve had him for 36 hours and he doesnt respond to his name.

Cat food.

Then lock the door for at least a week.

I told her I didn’t 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690