Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The All-Purpose Getting-To-Know-BBers Questions Thread
13 February 2016
9.31am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2701sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah, I see, I’ll just shut up now a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

giphy.gifImage Enlarger

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Zig, natureaker

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

13 February 2016
9.45am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
2702sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said
My computer charger is gonr and I’m having a hard time finding a new one so no stories.

That sucks – does nobody make them anymore? Maybe some of our resident technogeeks can suggest a website that offers it.

Best of luck – I would hate to see your brilliant creativity stifled by the lack of a charger. 

For the want of a nail

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Beatlebug

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

15 February 2016
3.29pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
2703sp_Permalink sp_Print

To those of ye who listen to music other than Beatles frequently (which I imagine is most of you): Which bands/artists, and how often compared with the Fab Four? 

I think my non-Beatles tendencies are well-documented: Pink Floyd, George Winston, Will Ackerman, and other related Windham Hill/Narada things, and Dala Girls once in a while. In that order. 

I try to listen to all my favourite musics with equal regularity, though I must admit I have been on a Floyd kick of recent times. 

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

15 February 2016
3.38pm
pepperland
vanished in the haze (England)
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 749
2704sp_Permalink sp_Print

The usual suspects:

• Pink Floyd
  • Led Zeppelin
  • The Who
  • The Yardbirds
  • The Animals
  • The Beatles Bible Band
  • The Byrds
  • Electric Light Orchestra
  • Simon & Garfunkel
  • The Arctic Monkeys
  • Kasabian
  • 10cc
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • The Kaiser Chiefs
  • David Bowie
  • Courtney Barnett
  • Jimi Hendrix

I’ve probably forgotten quite a few

The following people thank pepperland for this post:

Beatlebug

Times I find it hard to say / With useless words getting in my waySuprised about this one.Sad about this one

15 February 2016
3.50pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043

I probably don’t have to say. You’ve seen enough of my lists. 

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Beatlebug

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

15 February 2016
3.54pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2706sp_Permalink sp_Print

To those of ye who listen to music other than Beatles frequently (which I imagine is most of you): Which bands/artists, and how often compared with the Fab Four?

Poets of the fall and More than the Beatles.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

15 February 2016
4.23pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
2707sp_Permalink sp_Print

The only artist I go back to often and can listen to whole albums of outside of Beatles is Kendall Payne, everything else I find gets dull after, say, 10 minutes. Nowadays I generally listen to podcasts and music on random.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

15 February 2016
7.15pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
2708sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lots, as listed in other threads.

I have so many CDs that I rarely repeat until a lot of time has gone by.

Though Lightning Bolt by Pearl Jam has been played quite a bit in these parts lately.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

15 February 2016
7.52pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2709sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can go long periods without listening to much Beatles, and when I do it tends to be bootleg material in the main, @Beatlebug. After 35+ years of listening to The Beatles, I feel almost as if their music is a part of my DNA and I don’t need to hear it to know my love for it. Though I will sit down and have sessions on a regular basis. Just recently most of my Beatles listening has been of The Beatles Anthology Revisited 28-hour audio bootleg documentary. Currently on my player is Episode 9: “We had to give up touring…” June 1966-January 1967. I’m on my second listen through to the set since getting it recently.

I tend to go through periods of listening to mainly a small group of artists, before shifting my attention elsewhere. The trouble with a huge collection! And I do have a huge collection of music, beginning with blues, jazz, country and folk from the early 20th century onwards to “modern” musicians I discovered ten, fifteen years ago. I’ve only really discovered one artist since then ranks among my many favourites, Paloma Faith, and I haven’t listened to her in months. She’s got a new album on the way, so will probably go on another Paloma kick when that comes out.

At the moment, I am mainly listening to Bob Dylan (who, alongside The Beatles, is my favourite artist, and the greatest and most important living musician in my opinion – sorry, Paul!), Woody Guthrie, Fats Domino, The Waterboys, and David Bowie.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Beatlebug, Necko, pepperland, The Hippie Chick

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

15 February 2016
8.47pm
Merch
Englishisnotmynativelanguageland
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 275
2710sp_Permalink sp_Print

I listen mostly to 60s/70s stuff, with the ocassional 80s. From the “What are you listening to right now?” thread you may know some of my favourites, Pink Floyd, Queen, Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Police, and I also like The Doors, Bowie, Janis Joplin, The Kinks, The Who, The Velvet Underground, Michael Jackson and some Argentinian and Uruguayan rock like Soda Stereo, el Cuarteto de Nos and la Vela Puerca. I tend to listen to the Beatles and the solo careers more often, but I always try not to go long periods without listening to other bands while also getting into other artists.

The following people thank Merch for this post:

Beatlebug, trcanberra

"We think George Harrison is the most marvelous thing since boys were discovered." - Diane and Jenny of Bedford, the smartest girls ever.

15 February 2016
10.41pm
KaleidoscopeMusic
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 481
2711sp_Permalink sp_Print

Silly Girl said

Love this question.

It depends on the genre. First I believe I got into very old music, like Dean Martin old–along with some random songs like The Scientist–which led to my obsession with the 80’s. From there, I got into actual groups including Queen, Journey, and the Police. Those are my consistent groups but I also love timeless songs like Listen to your Heart, Total Eclipse of the Heart, and Come on Eileen. Others I like are Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses, and some of Bruce Springsteen.

After that, I became fascinated with the Carpenters. Somehow this eventually led to the Beatles. Besides that, I listen to a hodgepodge of 60’s/70’s songs. I like all the big hits but not many specific groups. This is why I’m so happy to put most of my passion; obsession into the Beatles. (I also love John’s solo music, if that counts.) Something else that probably got me into the 60’s poetic lyrics and dissonant harmonies is the Sound of Silence.

Other than that, I love the Phantom of the Opera and Les Mis. I love the Jersey Boys songs too. Also the Sound of Music. Broadway is probably the only thing besides the Beatles where I appreciate the whole soundtrack.

I usually put suggestions onto my Pandora station, so I get a lot of varieties which makes me happy. 🙂

The following people thank KaleidoscopeMusic for this post:

Beatlebug

Only music can save us.

16 February 2016
12.08pm
The Hippie Chick
Counting the holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1387

“To those of ye who listen to music other than Beatles frequently (which I imagine is most of you): Which bands/artists, and how often compared with the Fab Four? “

I’m all over the place really. I mostly hang around the classic rock genre. The Who, Zeppelin, Bowie, Hendrix, Doors, Joplin… etc. I also have a bit of good jazz instilled in me due to my mom’s influence. And it’s only the past oh five or six years I’ve come to appreciate Frank Sinatra. Thanks, again to mom.

My listening habits are mostly pulling up my media player (I use foobar2000) and just randomizing so a bunch of everything comes up all the time. Recently I’ve been all nostalgic for the music of my 70s childhood, so lots of 70s pop and rock stuff has been being played around here. I have a 25 CD collection from Rhino of all kinds of 70s goodness.

“She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.”  - J.D. Salinger

16 February 2016
3.05pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2713sp_Permalink sp_Print

Silly Girl said

If I’m not listening strictly to The Beatles, it’s usually music on iPod “shuffle” mode or a specific album, not necessarily a specific artist. It just depends on what I am in the mood for. Some nights, I’ll start with a song that I can’t get out of my cranium and then manually choose another song that the previous one reminded me of and continue along like that. It leads to some pretty interesting places at times.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

17 February 2016
7.06am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
2714sp_Permalink sp_Print

For those who have pets, why did you pick the species of pet that you have?

Zig said

does nobody make them anymore?

They should but when I tried to buy it form Toshiba it was too small.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

17 February 2016
9.14am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22240
2715sp_Permalink sp_Print

I didn’t choose my pet-my dog Friendly. He chose me and my family. He waggled his way into our hearts. He roamed the neighborhood, but chose our dog house to sleep in (our dog, Rocky, at the time slept inside).

When I was younger, I let my hamster pick me. I put my hand down into a huge pile of them. All but one ran away. The one we took home was the one that crawled all over my hand.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Starr Shine?, meanmistermustard, KaleidoscopeMusic, Beatlebug, Zig
17 February 2016
2.41pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043

Annadog40 said

I don’t currently have a pet, but I can go over some of the past ones. From the age of six to about fourteen or fifteen, we had Betta fish. Six of them to be exact. All of them were named M&M. We probably got them because they’re easy to take care of. 

The reason we got Sandi was mainly because her old owners (one of my mom’s coworkers) couldn’t keep her. They were moving to an apartment that didn’t allow pets. She was nearly four years old when we got her. Her original owners had named her Bullet after Roy Rogers’ dog, but we changed her name because Bullet really doesn’t sound like a female name. 

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

17 February 2016
2.50pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2717sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said

Zag had always wanted a horse. About a year or so after our dog passed away, she went on an adoption site looking for another rescue. She happened upon a website that featured all sorts of animals up for adoption including horses. Long story short, it’s much cheaper to adopt a rescue than it was to buy one outright. He has been with us ever since.

We chose our dog because even though we replaced a dog with a horse, we still had no dog and the horse is too big for our laps.

Fascinating, no?

Starr Shine?, Beatlebug

17 February 2016
3.08pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
2718sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a cat because I live in the countryside and without one the house would be over-run with mice.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Starr Shine?, Zig, Beatlebug

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

17 February 2016
3.16pm
Zig
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2719sp_Permalink sp_Print

Necko said 

The reason we got Sandi was mainly because her old owners (one of my mom’s coworkers) couldn’t keep her. They were moving to an apartment that didn’t allow pets.

This is not me judging anyone – this is just me telling you how much we love our pets.

If an apartment did not allow them, I’d be looking for a different apartment. a-hard-days-night-john-1

Starr Shine?, Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, 50yearslate

17 February 2016
3.23pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
2720sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said

Necko said 

The reason we got Sandi was mainly because her old owners (one of my mom’s coworkers) couldn’t keep her. They were moving to an apartment that didn’t allow pets.

This is not me judging anyone – this is just me telling you how much we love our pets.

If an apartment did not allow them, I’d be looking for a different apartment. a-hard-days-night-john-1

Though I don’t think a Horse would do well in an apartment.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Necko, Beatlebug

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: kelicopter, Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694