Song you are on a kick of right now? | Page 6 | Fab Forum

Please consider registering
Guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —





— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Song you are on a kick of right now?
No permission to create posts
6 December 2010
9.33pm
MotherNaturesDaughter
On the Hill with the Fool
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 537
Member Since:
13 September 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
101sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've been listening to the 1st Past Master's a lot lately. But mostly This Boy and Yes It Is. The three part harmonies on both of those songs are pretty epic and they're very emotional.

"I am definitely a mad man with a box."- Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor of Doctor Who (Episode 1 Season 5: The Eleventh Hour)
6 December 2010
10.11pm
PennyLane
Sitting singing songs for everyone by the mountain stream
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1212
Member Since:
4 December 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
102sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatle songs: While My Guitar Gently Weeps, the White Album version and Anthology version; Something, the Anthology version; Yer Blues; A Day In The Life.

Non-Beatle songs: When the Levee Breaks and You Shook Me by Led Zeppelin; Helen Wheels and Wonderful Christmastime by Macca; Watching The Wheels and Happy X-Mas by John; Rock 'n' Roll Suicide by David Bowie; Kanye West's new album (it's actually really REALLY good); Gimme Shelter by the Stones

Well we all shine on like the moon, the stars, and the sun.
20 January 2011
6.01pm
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2730
Member Since:
9 June 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
103sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm on an "early songs" kick: "Please Please Me," "There's a Place," "It Won't Be Long," and "Not A Second Time." I especially love the line "I don't wanna sound complaining, but you know there's always rain in my heart." I love the mental image of rain in the heart. Also, I love his voice when he sings that. a-hard-days-night-george-10

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

20 January 2011
6.13pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Moderator



Forum Posts: 6721
Member Since:
14 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
104sp_Permalink sp_Print

MeanMrs.Mustard said:

I'm on an "early songs" kick: "Please Please Me," "There's a Place," "It Won't Be Long," and "Not A Second Time." I especially love the line "I don't wanna sound complaining, but you know there's always rain in my heart." I love the mental image of rain in the heart. Also, I love his voice when he sings that. a-hard-days-night-george-10


I'm with you, M3. I often wonder what Please Please Me sounded like in its infancy à la Roy Orbison. I seem to remember george-martin using words like "dreadful" to describe it, but I'd still like to hear it.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

20 January 2011
9.33pm
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2730
Member Since:
9 June 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
105sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maybe he meant "dreadful" to mean "wouldn't be popular as a single." Or maybe he really didn't like it.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

20 January 2011
9.36pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 4057
Member Since:
31 March 2008
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
106sp_Permalink sp_Print

Skip to 2'47" here to hear George Martin talk about it, and sing a little in the Orbison style. I don't know if it had a Be My Baby beat when The Beatles originally played it, or it that was just a GM embellishment (I was in the front row at that event, a few chairs away from Paul McCartney!).

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

20 January 2011
9.46pm
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2730
Member Since:
9 June 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
107sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joe said:

(I was in the front row at that event, a few chairs away from Paul McCartney!).


OH MY GOSH. THAT IS FREAKING AMAZING. 

I love the way GM talks! He's such a gentleman. george-martin

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

20 January 2011
9.49pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Moderator



Forum Posts: 6721
Member Since:
14 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
108sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joe said:

Skip to 2'47" here to hear George Martin talk about it, and sing a little in the Orbison style. I don't know if it had a Be My Baby beat when The Beatles originally played it, or it that was just a GM embellishment (I was in the front row at that event, a few chairs away from Paul McCartney!).


Yeah, Joe I remember your article on this and the fact that you got Sir George's autograph. And I do apologize to him - the word he used was "dreary", not my aforementioned "dreadful".

Too bad (or not) there is no recording of it floating around out there.

Thanks anyway for bringing up that video again. I could listen to him speak for hours.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

20 January 2011
9.52pm
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2730
Member Since:
9 June 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
109sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah. I love the fact that it was brian-epstein looking so crestfallen after being turned down that got george-martin to let them audition!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

20 January 2011
10.55pm
robert
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 414
Member Since:
19 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
110sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not A Second Time, no reply, you're gonna lose that girl and I'll be back - - oh my goodness - can the basic pop song get any better?

"She looks more like him than I do."
20 January 2011
11.42pm
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1332
Member Since:
1 May 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
111sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've been listening to the Anthology version of Cry Baby Cry a lot recently. I like his voice in that song, it's like sentimental with a touch of sadness, guilt and compassion all at the same time, which would make sense if he wrote it for Julian. Lots of Anthology 3.

Also the Acoustic version of God, the intro makes me smile. "I had a message, from above. And I'm here to tell you, this message concerns our love. The angels must have sent me to deliver this to you. Now here me now, brothers and sisters."

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine
21 January 2011
7.37pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Moderator



Forum Posts: 6721
Member Since:
14 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
112sp_Permalink sp_Print

robert said:

Not A Second Time, no reply, you're gonna lose that girl and I'll be back - - oh my goodness - can the basic pop song get any better?


Right! you can put Can't Buy Me Love in that same category.

GniknuS said:

I've been listening to the Anthology version of Cry Baby Cry a lot recently. I like his voice in that song, it's like sentimental with a touch of sadness, guilt and compassion all at the same time, which would make sense if he wrote it for Julian. Lots of Anthology 3.

Also the Acoustic version of God, the intro makes me smile. "I had a message, from above. And I'm here to tell you, this message concerns our love. The angels must have sent me to deliver this to you. Now here me now, brothers and sisters."


To me, Anthology is like Beatles A to Z...Naked

It's so cool to hear how the early takes varied from the finished product.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Every Little Thing you buy from Amazon or iTunes will help the Beatles Bible if you use these links: Amazon | iTunes

21 January 2011
8.59pm
The Walrus
Working for the national health
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1036
Member Since:
4 December 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
113sp_Permalink sp_Print

robert said:

Not A Second Time, no reply, you're gonna lose that girl and I'll be back - - oh my goodness - can the basic pop song get any better?


We Can Work It Out? a-hard-days-night-george-2
And I neeeeeeeeed her all the time
21 January 2011
9.06pm
robert
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 414
Member Since:
19 April 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
114sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said:

robert said:

Not A Second Time, no reply, you're gonna lose that girl and I'll be back - - oh my goodness - can the basic pop song get any better?


Right! you can put Can't Buy Me Love in that same category.
 

GniknuS said:


We agree on that - as much as love that tune - it doesn't stand up to these (although it's still a great tune).
"She looks more like him than I do."
21 January 2011
9.24pm
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2730
Member Since:
9 June 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
115sp_Permalink sp_Print

robert said:

Zig said:

robert said:

Not A Second Time, no reply, you're gonna lose that girl and I'll be back - - oh my goodness - can the basic pop song get any better?


Right! you can put Can't Buy Me Love in that same category.

We agree on that - as much as I love that tune - it doesn't stand up to these (although it's still a great tune).
 

Agreed.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

23 January 2011
5.28am
Nigel the good dog
Nowhere Land
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 731
Member Since:
22 January 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
116sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am on a George/ John kick right now! I have been listening to Happiness Is A Warm Gun, I'm Only Sleeping, Something, Here Comes The Sun, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Dear Prudence, and more! Just can't get enough of them!a-hard-days-night-george-10a-hard-days-night-john-6

My mind is far away, off in Pepperland…
I'm a girl, don't be confused by my name.
25 January 2011
5.27am
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1332
Member Since:
1 May 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
117sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said:


GniknuS said:

I've been listening to the Anthology version of Cry Baby Cry a lot recently. I like his voice in that song, it's like sentimental with a touch of sadness, guilt and compassion all at the same time, which would make sense if he wrote it for Julian. Lots of Anthology 3.

Also the Acoustic version of God, the intro makes me smile. "I had a message, from above. And I'm here to tell you, this message concerns our love. The angels must have sent me to deliver this to you. Now here me now, brothers and sisters."


To me, Anthology is like Beatles A to Z...Naked

It's so cool to hear how the early takes varied from the finished product.


I know what you mean Zig, especially on Anthology 3 it feels like seeing the Beatles naked, which I think I like better. Not that the incredible overdubs of '66/'67 weren't, well, incredible, but the simplicity of '68 is definitely turning into my favorite. It is the Beatles, it's four guys music on an album because George and Ringo would take up half of one side of any other album. Looks like they had it right. two-virgins
I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine
25 January 2011
8.40pm
NowhereDude
Delaware
The Jacaranda
Forum Posts: 30
Member Since:
16 January 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
118sp_Permalink sp_Print

I dont know why but ive been listening to Ticket To Ride more lately, the song always puts a smile on my face a-hard-days-night-john-5

"If everyone practiced being themselves instead of pretending to be what they aren't, there would be peace"-JL
26 January 2011
9.02pm
PennyLane
Sitting singing songs for everyone by the mountain stream
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1212
Member Since:
4 December 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
119sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yer Blues for me. I just love that track. Good bit of blues influence in there.

And Long, Long, Long. I love George so much with this song. It's so sad and so haunting and so beautiful at the same time.

Well we all shine on like the moon, the stars, and the sun.
25 February 2011
3.59pm
muffin
Casbah Coffee Club
Forum Posts: 22
Member Since:
19 February 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
120sp_Permalink sp_Print

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, Hey Bulldog and Taxman 

Can't get enough of those songs at the moment apple01

...tanning in the English rain
No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: meanmistermustard, Ron Nasty, Ahhh Girl, sigh butterfly
51 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 14954

Ahhh Girl: 9302

Annadog40: 8124

parlance: 7095

mr. Sun king coming together: 6973

Zig: 6721

Mr. Kite: 6004

mithveaen: 4633

Ron Nasty: 4341

trcanberra: 4310

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 88

Members: 3071

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3511

Posts: 182955

Newest Members: The_Walrus_1234, Im Only Sleeping, HelterSkelter, NightTripper, Kate_C.

Moderators: Ahhh Girl: 9302, meanmistermustard: 14954, Zig: 6721, Joe: 4057

Administrators: Joe: 4057, Ellie: 1

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: P3pperish
Upcoming: Amber1965