Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pet Peeves
13 February 2016
6.16am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1981sp_Permalink sp_Print

ewe2 said
My hatred of iTunes was the key to breaking free of the Apple curse and I’ve never looked back. I’m looking seriously at getting a decent turntable and buying LP’s again because there’s so much stuff that never made it to CD, and I can have the best of both worlds, listening through a usb interface and ripping them.

As I have over 1000 CDs now, which will keep me busy for the next decade at least – what didn’t make it onto CD of is of next to no concern here.

I know people like their LPs – more power to them – but I can’t return to the Rice Bubbles crackles and pops and they cost so much for new and decent ones. I hope you enjoy it though if you do get back into it. I also don’t “do” digital files so for me ripping them on first play to avoid future irritating noise is not an option.

Please note this is not me siding with CDs against LPs or anything – they are just not my cup of tea any more. I bought one of the first CD players in Australia and have been more than happy with them ever since.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

13 February 2016
6.29am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
1982sp_Permalink sp_Print

ewe2 said

My hatred of iTunes was the key to breaking free of the Apple curse and I’ve never looked back.

I never liked Apple products.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

13 February 2016
9.27am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

trcanberra said
As I have over 1000 CDs now, which will keep me busy for the next decade at least – what didn’t make it onto CD of is of next to no concern here.

I know people like their LPs – more power to them – but I can’t return to the Rice Bubbles crackles and pops and they cost so much for new and decent ones. I hope you enjoy it though if you do get back into it. I also don’t “do” digital files so for me ripping them on first play to avoid future irritating noise is not an option.

Please note this is not me siding with CDs against LPs or anything – they are just not my cup of tea any more. I bought one of the first CD players in Australia and have been more than happy with them ever since.

I’m in the same boat, trc – let me grab an oar.

I’ve had the White Album on so many different formats (remember Tommy Lee Jones’ line in Men In Black?). After listening to the remastered CD from the 2009 box set, I am convinced I need not regress. I still have many LP’s in a storage bin in the basement. Every once in a while (OK, mostly when my brother comes to visit) I’ll break them out and reminisce about the memories forged while listening to certain ones (he recently reminded me how we wore out the Ziggy Stardust album on a friend’s front porch), recalling the precise event that caused each blemish on each cover – a scratch here, a phone number there, oh yeah – I remember that burn mark…ahdn_paul_02

I don’t have the trained ear to hear how any “top end” or “bottom end” may be cut off from digital recordings, nor do I care. This is because digital lets me hear tons more of what is in the middle (my term). I ask myself, would I rather hear 3 more seconds of a cymbal crash fading out or would I rather hear John faintly shouting “We told you why!” in ‘What Goes On ‘. When I play a digital file in surround sound, I can actually “feel” John standing over there and Paul and George over there and Ringo back there – just like in real life. I don’t have to listen to them standing all bunched together in a phone booth, which is what mono sounds like to me.  

A radio station I listen to in the car on the way home plays a vinyl album on Wednesday evenings. Last week, it was Jethro Tull’s Aqualung (IMHO, a masterpiece). It was kinda nice to hear it on vinyl again, but afterward I was convinced it sounds so much better on CD – to my ears. There were subtle little sounds that were obscured by the limitations of vinyl and it was disappointing not to hear them. To be fair, it could have been their copy of the LP or some other variable (least of which would be my HD car stereo). But to my point, LP’s simply wear out and lose fidelity (is that the right term music scholars?). Even if you do burn them into a digital format, the missing bits in the middle of the sound are still not there to begin with. I could not live without those sounds now that I’ve heard them.  

I read and hear people say, “The Beatles on vinyl in mono is the purest form – it’s how they wanted it to sound” or some such. I even remember a quote from George saying he did not like the stereo versions when he first heard them. Could that be because mono vinyl was just about the only thing available back then? It was all they ever knew growing up listening to singles. I could be way off base here, but I firmly believe that if digital technology was available back then, there would have been no contest as to which format they would have preferred to record in. Yet, somehow, I’m glad they had to “earn” their sound by getting all they could out of the available technology. God bless George Martin’s parents!

I will admit that when the vinyl craze began again in recent years, I strongly considered buying another turntable if for no other reason than to play my collection again. But the money I would have spent on that and any subsequent LP purchases have been better spent on Beatles books, CD’s, DVD’s and so on. Looks like I will just have to settle for listening to their digital replacements. 

So, staying on topic, my pet peeve is people trying to tell me that vinyl is best (nobody in the Forum – just people that I know). It may be for them and I sincerely hope they have fun collecting LP’s because What Is Life without fun? Just please don’t tell me it’s the best thing since spliced tape (see what I did there?).

apple01heart

The following people thank Zig for this post:

trcanberra

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

14 February 2016
10.52am
natureaker
Blue Jay Way
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1477
1984sp_Permalink sp_Print

Huge pet peeve: when I’m listening to my music, and randomly, my music stops and my parents’ music starts playing. Once, I was casually listening to music, and suddenly, Tom Petty comes on (I don’t know the name of the song, it had electronic-like noises in the beginning tho). Most of my parents’ music I don’t like at all. And they don’t like most of my music either (Beatles, David Bowie, ect) so I guess we’re even a-hard-days-night-paul-11blue-meanie

14 February 2016
12.16pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
1985sp_Permalink sp_Print

RAMPANT SYNTH USE paul-mccartney a-hard-days-night-ringo-13 

For an example, look no further than 

https://youtu.be/XjmuMxv6whk

Now tasteful use of synth, on the other hand, I don’t mind; for instance Pink Floyd did fab stuff with it. Or the Moog-ing on Abbey Road

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

pepperland

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

14 February 2016
12.24pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24963
1986sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8  Yeah the song is so dated; by far the weakest track on what is otherwise a fantastic album.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

16 February 2016
3.25pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
1987sp_Permalink sp_Print

The fact that everything is designed for night owls.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

16 February 2016
3.45pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
1988sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said
The fact that everything is designed for night owls.

How do you mean? What sorts of things are you talking about? 

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

16 February 2016
4.11pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
1989sp_Permalink sp_Print

Like stores open at twelve PM and close 12am.

17 February 2016
8.47am
Beatlebug

Moderators
1990sp_Permalink sp_Print

Logging into the forum for my morning jaunt and finding that I’ve got 34 topics with unread posts, and 90% of them are Annadog40 digging up ancient All Together Now threads. a-hard-days-night-john-7 

Also the entire New/Recently Updated Topics drop-down consisting of All Together Now threads. a-hard-days-night-paul-3

pepperland, Starr Shine?

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

17 February 2016
8.51am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members

Silly Girl said
Logging into the forum for my morning jaunt and finding that I’ve got 34 topics with unread posts, and 90% of them are Annadog40 digging up ancient All Together Now threads. a-hard-days-night-john-7 

Also the entire New/Recently Updated Topics drop-down consisting of All Together Now threads. a-hard-days-night-paul-3

So I should slow down with reviving old threads then?

17 February 2016
8.55am
Beatlebug

Moderators
1992sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just a bit. It would be appreciated. apple01 

I’ve no problem with old-thread-reviving, but when you madly do it all in one night, ’tis a bit much. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

Starr Shine?

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

17 February 2016
8.57am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
1993sp_Permalink sp_Print

Silly Girl said
Just a bit. It would be appreciated. apple01 

I’ve no problem with old-thread-reviving, but when you madly do it all in one night, ’tis a bit much. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

Ya I had too much fun doing that. I’ll restrict it to just once a day.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

pepperland, Beatlebug

17 February 2016
9.02am
Beatlebug

Moderators
1994sp_Permalink sp_Print

Also… 

meanmistermustard said in another thread

Feel free to revive many of the threads that exist, new comments are always welcomed and encouraged. I would say all threads but there are a few that really should remain buried 9 foot under, preferably with thick concrete poured on top.

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 yip. 

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

17 February 2016
10.54am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
1995sp_Permalink sp_Print

Shopping for something for your tea whilst having no idea what you want for your tea so you spend 10 minutes wandering aimlessly looking like an atrocious shoplifter.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

pepperland

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

17 February 2016
11.15am
Beatlebug

Moderators
1996sp_Permalink sp_Print

People using expletives out of context and just for the sake of it. a-hard-days-night-paul-3 

I get it if you actually have something to swear about, like Ron Nasty; but just randomly inserting F-words into the least F-word-able things does not make you look cooler. It just makes you look stupid. a-hard-days-night-paul-10 

Like that one YouTube channel which comes up sometimes if you search Beatley things, ‘helterf***ingskelter’. Oh pleez. a-hard-days-night-ringo-14 

Starr Shine?, O Boogie

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

17 February 2016
11.20am
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012
1997sp_Permalink sp_Print

Silly Girl said
People using expletives out of context and just for the sake of it. a-hard-days-night-paul-3 

I get it if you actually have something to swear about, like Ron Nasty; but just randomly inserting F-words into the least F-word-able things does not make you look cooler. It just makes you look stupid. a-hard-days-night-paul-10 

Like that one YouTube channel which comes up sometimes if you search Beatley things, ‘helterf***ingskelter’. Oh pleez. a-hard-days-night-ringo-14 

I agree. I was reading this really good article the other day about how it’s okay not to feel motivated, and they kept throwing in “f***ing” for no reason, like “if you don’t f***ing feel like it” or what not, and I just stopped reading.  Curse words are unnecessary.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

Beatlebug

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

17 February 2016
11.34am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

The below came to mind. For those easily offended there are some naughty words so do not watch. For those who like spotting Beatles Ringo is in the audience.

17 February 2016
11.37am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
1999sp_Permalink sp_Print

People use curse words so much that they lost their shock value

“Oh Look At Me , I use shit and fuck all the damn I’m so edge.” 

Swear words have a time and place.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Beatlebug

17 February 2016
11.43am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

One of the funniest things to watch is young teenagers trying to look cool and hard by swearing. You know there and then that as soon as you say “boo” they’ll be running home to their mum crying.

Swearing only work if the situation warrants it. Unfortunately some comedians think that it automatically brings laughter when it just makes them look like lazy idiots.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Starr Shine?, Beatlebug

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Sea Belt
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24963, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694