Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
It's 1986!
29 April 2011
10.59pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1855

-Major nuclear reactor disaster in the Eastern Hemisphere!

-USA bombing Libya!

-A much-hyped Royal Wedding!

-Space Shuttle mission!  (Good news: The Endeavour was supposed to launch today, but it's apparently been postponed until Monday at the earliest. So I guess they're giving it an extra-thorough inspection to avoid a Challenger-scaled disaster.)

Happy silver anniversary, 1986! Feels like no time has passed at all. Can't wait for the Ferdinand Marcos ouster, the Whitney Houston comeback, and the revelation that Obama sold arms to Iran and funnelled the profits to the Contras!

Everybody have fun tonight; everybody Wang Chung tonight!

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
29 April 2011
11.23pm
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1366

Lol, I have heard that Whitney is off crack or coke, whichever she was on, so you never know.

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine
30 April 2011
12.43am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4678

Don't forget the World Cup held in my country. I'm on a very nasty period in my life : Not paying attention to Dad and Mom, fighting with my best friend's girlfriend (she swears I flirt on him, I told her not) I had a massive crush on Michael Biehn due to watching 3 times Aliens on the theater, and one of my favorite album Mr. Mister's Welcome to the Real World. It's Summer and I still don't know what to do with my life. And…. I rediscovered my sister's Red and White Album. heart

Ahh those were the days.. *sighs*. Sadly, my high school best friend passed away like 8 years ago. a-hard-days-night-george-5

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
30 April 2011
12.48am
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6972

We actually had a useful government in Canada! We weren't getting screwed!!!! Yay! Also, Paul released albums more regularly, Tom Petty was in his peak, and Phil Collins was in Genisis.

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
30 April 2011
2.30am
skye
AZ
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2295

I'm three and like Fraggle Rock?

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo! So little time! So much to know!
30 April 2011
2.35am
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6972

Von, you'll get this; We actually had a PC party in Canada!

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
30 April 2011
4.50am
StrawberryLakiesha
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 465

Why is it exiting that the US bombed Libya?

Also, if it's 1986 then does it mean I'm not allowed to post in this thread becuase I wasn't born until like fifteen years later? If I'm not then I'm real sorry about that.!

ONE MINUTE YOU'RE DEFENDING THE WHOLE GALAXY, AND SUDDENLY, YOU FIND YOURSELF SUCKING DOWN DARJEELING WITH MARIE ANTOINETTE AND HER LITTLE SISTER.!
30 April 2011
5.13am
kedame
Miles above you
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 533

StrawberryLakiesha said:

Also, if it's 1986 then does it mean I'm not allowed to post in this thread becuase I wasn't born until like fifteen years later? If I'm not then I'm real sorry about that.!

Are you seriously only 10? You'd have to be a pretty cool 10 year old if you are!

"You can manicure a cat but can you caticure a man?" John Lennon- Skywriting by Word of Mouth
30 April 2011
5.54am
Blue Nicey
Out paradin’
Hollywood Bowl
Forum Posts: 387

Von Bontee said:

-Major nuclear reactor disaster in the Eastern Hemisphere!

-USA bombing Libya!

-A much-hyped Royal Wedding!

-Space Shuttle mission!  (Good news: The Endeavour was supposed to launch today, but it's apparently been postponed until Monday at the earliest. So I guess they're giving it an extra-thorough inspection to avoid a Challenger-scaled disaster.)

Happy silver anniversary, 1986! Feels like no time has passed at all. Can't wait for the Ferdinand Marcos ouster, the Whitney Houston comeback, and the revelation that Obama sold arms to Iran and funnelled the profits to the Contras!

Everybody have fun tonight; everybody Wang Chung tonight! 

Stop reminding me! I’m not ready to turn 25 yet! blue-meanie <-- For the milestone, not for you. I feel like I’m going to have a quarterlife crisis about my impending birthday. Also, I don’t like thinking of being older than 25 because that’s my favorite Beatle age, when I feel like they were their best, and I dunno. I guess I feel like a failure compared to them and how successful they were when they were my age. OK, sorry, enough of my whining …

skye said:

Lol. Dude, I loved that show! The little doozers were the cutest things!

Favorite Starbucks drink: Chai, baby, Chai.
30 April 2011
6.07am
StrawberryLakiesha
Shea Stadium
Forum Posts: 465

kedame said:

StrawberryLakiesha said:

Are you seriously only 10? You'd have to be a pretty cool 10 year old if you are!

Yeah, A'm ten, and Thanks!a-hard-days-night-george-8

ONE MINUTE YOU'RE DEFENDING THE WHOLE GALAXY, AND SUDDENLY, YOU FIND YOURSELF SUCKING DOWN DARJEELING WITH MARIE ANTOINETTE AND HER LITTLE SISTER.!
30 April 2011
12.42pm
minime
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 526

a-hard-days-night-ringo-6 Quite a surprise. I thought you would be something like 14.

Anyway, there is one irregularity about the year… George was alive back then, and now he isn't. Similarly, I'm alive, but wasn't back then. Quite depressing. 

2 May 2011
10.26am
Sitting on a cornflake
as above, in an Italian garden
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 198

Hey I just graduated but I don't really know what to do with my life .. but I had a great girlfriend.

mmm. times haven't changed that much have they?

a-hard-days-night-john-6
2 May 2011
2.33pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Forum Posts: 3315

skye said:

I'm going on twenty-three and skip past Fraggle Rock to get to the Smurfs. I'm also married for a year and a half and am dreaming about someday living in Arizona. My wife is dreaming about watching shows for grown-ups. 

The Monkees celebrate their 20th Anniversary Reunion Tour (yay) and The Clash disbands (boo).

An up-and-down year to be sure.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, Let it roll for all its worth.

Can buy Joe love! If you're going to buy that song, album, or T-shirt anyway; please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

3 May 2011
12.46am
skye
AZ
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2295

The Smurfs? You'll have to explain the appeal sometime. a-hard-days-night-ringo-7

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo! So little time! So much to know!
3 May 2011
11.38am
Zig

skye said:

The Smurfs? You'll have to explain the appeal sometime. a-hard-days-night-ringo-7

Right – as soon as someone explains it to me. It's all just a hazy blue blur.

BOT: This thread made me look up events that happened that year. While taking the proverbial trip down Memory Lane, I kept thinking, "I can't believe John was gone 6 years already when that happened."

Can buy Joe love! If you're going to buy that song, album, or T-shirt anyway; please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

3 May 2011
11.59am
Sitting on a cornflake
as above, in an Italian garden
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 198

Mind you..Peter Gabriel's new album So is out soon .. and it's going to be excellent!

a-hard-days-night-john-1
3 May 2011
1.49pm
Zig

In case the rest of you want to scope out the year 1986 in music

Nice thread, Von.

7 November 2012
6.22am
billyshears
Casbah Coffee Club
Forum Posts: 18

I was crazy for hockey living in Texas.

Steve Smith of the Edmonton Oilers shot a puck off his own goalie to score a goal for the Calgary Flames to keep the Oilers from winning five Stanley Cups in a row. They won in 84 85 87 and 88

7 November 2012
7.47am
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1855

…and speaking of athletes who earned goat horns in '86, Bill Buckner!

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
7 November 2012
2.38pm
meanmistermustard
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 7236

I hope not. Would have to go thru the same crap to get here and couldnt face that again.

Was too young to remember what was going on socially and a few years away from discovering the beatles still. 

One of the few programmes i remember watching then was Bertha and having found the intro on youtube realise it has a beatle connection: Roy Kinnear, who played the role of Algernon in Help!, did the narration and some of the voices in Bertha. Just cannot escape those pesky beatle connections.

"Well, probably we'll sell less records, less people'll go to see the film, we'll write less songs, and we'll all die of failure" (John Lennon 8/64)
Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: meanmistermustard, Linde, AppleScruffJunior, Expert Textpert, Ahhh Girl, IveJustSeenAFaceo, Annadog40
50 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
Today Mr Bellamy
Upcoming Joe

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 7234

mr. Sun king coming together: 6972

mithveaen: 4678

parlance: 3712

MeanMrsMustard: 2803

Ron Nasty: 2543

skye: 2295

IveJustSeenAFaceo: 2048

LongHairedLady: 1891

Von Bontee: 1855

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 2337

Moderators: 5

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 33

Topics: 3069

Newest Members: BeatleZak, Mast Paster, Stephen Merrick, happyfeetgroove, captaindiggity

Moderators: Ahhh Girl (3407), fabfouremily (2941), Zig (3315), Joe (3220), Ellie (1)

Administrators: Joe (3220)