Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Introduce yourself to the forum!
9 February 2014
7.13am
TheOneBeatle
Here, There And Everywhere
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 678
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2021sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello, InTheEnd!!

a-hard-days-night-john-6a-hard-days-night-paul-8a-hard-days-night-george-3a-hard-days-night-ringo-10

Let me take you down 'cause I'm going to...Strawberry Fields.

9 February 2014
10.49am
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
2022sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome, InTheEnd. Hope you like the forum as much as you do the main site :D

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

9 February 2014
12.28pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
2023sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello, InTheEnd. Glad you’ve made your beginning with posting to the forum. Splash your Beatles love and knowledge all over the forum. I’m always ready to learn more about the Fabulous Four.

9 February 2014
10.01pm
scottdgifford
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Greetings, folks! I’m Scott Gifford, retired elementary schoolteacher turned music teacher and performer. I live in Sebastopol, CA, about an hour north of San Francisco. I substitute teach, teach classroom music & recorder & ukulele for two schools, play the uke & sing with my students in class, at birthday parties and for retirement homes whenever and wherever I can. I came across this site this morning, looking for the recorder part to “The Fool On The Hill ” and knew I’d come to the right place when I found another member who’d already posted the notes.

Today’s a special day for everyone reading this, I suspect; I still remember sitting in the back seat of the car that Sunday morning (I was 8), listening to my parents & my grandmother talking about “the Beatles” being on Ed Sullivan that evening. I had no idea what they were talking about; I envisioned four men cavorting around the stage in insect suits… My dad’s comments that evening were 1) “Why don’t they get haircuts? They look like GIRLS!” and 2) “That’s not music, it’s NOISE!”

I didn’t really pay much attention to the Fab Four at that point; I couldn’t tell them apart, especially on the American “Hard Day’s Night” album cover, and I didn’t start listening to the radio until Simon & Garfunkel’s “Mrs. Robinson” came out. S&G’s Bookends was my first album purchase, followed by Bridge Over Troubled Water; then I spent a couple years being sidetracked by the Monkees. (I hadn’t yet seen Help !, so when I saw the Monkees’ Head, I didn’t realize that Mike, Davy, Mickey & Peter were dressed in imitation of John, Paul, George & Ringo.)

A junior high friend had the White Album , and I was blown away by “Hey Jude ” when it hit the airwaves (it’s still my favorite track among many favorites.) The Let It Be album was my first Beatle LP — and then it was all over; I worked backwards to Sgt. Pepper and made do with the Red Album for the early stuff until it was time to start acquiring the cds. Now I have one shelf for the “real” 12, the Past Masters and the BBC sets, and another side for the Anthologies, the Rooftop concert, various bootlegs and a video collection of the promo films from ’64-’69 called “Watching Rainbows”; a third shelf contains solo stuff from all four, including Paul’s Unplugged and his Chaos & Creation in the Backyard, Ringo’s Ringo (still his best, I think), John’s Imagine and Acoustic cds, George’s Concert for Bangla Desh dvd and the amazingly beautiful boxed set with Ravi Shankar, Collaborations. (For me, “the one that got away” was a 6? 8?-cd collection of the complete Let It Be sessions; it was packaged in a cd-sized film cannister and had a $400 price tag — I just couldn’t justify it. Sigh…)

Favorite Beatle books: My first-printing paperback of Yellow Submarine (purchased new in 1968 for 95 cents, and yes, that’s a Yellow Submarine tie I’m wearing in my photo); Mark Lewisohn’s Recording Sessions, as well as his Complete Beatles Chronicles, George Martin’s With A Little Help From My Friends , William J. Dowling’s Beatlesongs and the Anthology accompanying book. As a musician, I also had to invest in the two-volume Complete Beatles many years ago. Oh, and I just picked up Vol. 1 of Lewisohn’s The Beatles: All These Years — Tune In from the library.

The Lads from Liverpool will always be IT for me; much as I love Cream, Creedence and the Stones, John, Paul, George and Ringo created the soundtrack of my life, and their music is the standard by which I measure all other popular music. (I tell my students that Taylor Swift must be one of the Beatles’ unacknowledged grandchildren — she has their knack for writing perfect pop songs.) I look forward to chatting with other like-minded people here; hasta la vista!

Parting thought: wouldn’t it be great if the guys on The Big Bang Theory were into the Beatles, as well as Star Trek, comics and computer games?

9 February 2014
10.15pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
2025sp_Permalink sp_Print

scottdgifford said
Greetings, folks! I’m Scott Gifford, retired elementary schoolteacher turned music teacher and performer. I live in Sebastopol, CA, about an hour north of San Francisco.

Welcome to the board, fellow Californian! Glad you found us.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

9 February 2014
10.36pm
onlyasouthernsong
Florida
The Jacaranda
Members
Forum Posts: 33
2026sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello! I’m Onlyasouthernsong, because Florida is the south. In fact, it’s farther than the south. It’s so south, it’s hell. It’s 70 degrees outside. Yeah. So I guess you could say I’m doing okay.

Also, I probably have to say George is my favorite Beatle. a-hard-days-night-george-9a-hard-days-night-george-10ahdn_george_08ahdn_george_06

9 February 2014
10.56pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
2027sp_Permalink sp_Print

@scottdgifford, I placed my greeting to you in the recorder thread, but I’ll reproduce it here so it will be in it’s proper place

You’re our kind of teacher, passing the Beatles flame to a new generation. An apple for the teacher.apple01

@onlyasouthernsong

The Beatles sure liked your Miami sun.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRh5drnaXaX87RP5bsj4cAqe6l3--gnr_c0Biyud5eFDpxTHhppImage Enlarger

9 February 2014
11.20pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
2028sp_Permalink sp_Print

scottdgifford said

Parting thought: wouldn’t it be great if the guys on The Big Bang Theory were into the Beatles, as well as Star Trek, comics and computer games?

Yeah, I’ve always thought that’d be their type of things. I share pretty much the exact same interests as Sheldon, and I love the Beatles, so I assume he would as well.

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

10 February 2014
5.27pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
2029sp_Permalink sp_Print

onlyasouthernsong said
Hello! I’m Onlyasouthernsong, because Florida is the south. In fact, it’s farther than the south. It’s so south, it’s hell. It’s 70 degrees outside. Yeah. So I guess you could say I’m doing okay.

Also, I probably have to say George is my favorite Beatle. a-hard-days-night-george-9a-hard-days-night-george-10ahdn_george_08ahdn_george_06

Welcome. I like you already :)

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

scottdgifford said

Yeah, I’ve always thought that’d be their type of things. I share pretty much the exact same interests as Sheldon, and I love the Beatles, so I assume he would as well.

They did mention them once, though I can’t remember what they said. I too thought they’d be fans, though.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

10 February 2014
5.55pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
2030sp_Permalink sp_Print

A very tedious link between TBBT and TB.

There is also the episode where a female fan of Sheldon’s drives a wedge between him and the other 3, The Bare Naked Ladies song Be My Yoko Ono is played over it.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

11 February 2014
2.23am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
2031sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to all the new members!   

tumblr_n0t7wgiy2K1s8bbfvo1_400.gifImage Enlarger

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

11 February 2014
1.22pm
fabfouremily
Rishikesh
Members
2032sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ How camp does he look there?? :)

(Passover - I. Curtis)

11 February 2014
8.35pm
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932

Hi.  My name is Mike, I’m a 51yo male in Ohio USA.  Like Dave Grohl, my father, my, and my oldest son’s favorite band is the Beatles 🙂  And AhhGirl, I tried the quote button before I posted that, but all it seemed to do was put “xxx said” and then the text of the quoted post in – no sign of italics or a greyish-blue box.  I still haven’t figured it out but I’ll look for a “test post” type thread to try to figure it out.

As I said in the long intro, I’ve been a Beatles fan since I was 3 (1966).  Fool on the Hill is the first song I ever remember hearing, and I remember the exact time and place – in my parents’ friends’ car on the way to dinner on vacation in Sacramento, California.

Because of my age, and my father’s musical collection, I was mainly acquainted with the major hits and the albums starting with Sgt. Pepper ‘s on up.  It is only within the last year or so that I’ve acquired a whole lot of beatles stuff, including the Mono box set and all the bbc sessions and the anthology dvds and cds.  So I’m still fairly new to all the b sides and much of the early stuff.  I’ve been listening to 95% Beatles for the past year and I still haven’t gotten to all the stuff I got!

So keeping in mind that I’m not really familiar with the early stuff to comment on it, I’m loving it and keep listening, especially to the early albums, over and over.  My favorite album is Abbey Road , followed by Sgt. Pepper ‘s and Revolver a close 3rd.  Some of my favorite songs (but how can you name just a few when there are like 30 tied for my favorite!) are Here Comes The Sun , Because (the vocals-only version is incredible), I Saw Her Standing There , Penny Lane , Strawberry Fields Forever , Fool on the Hill, I’ve Just Seen A Face …well I could go on and on…my ringtone is the (actual mp3, not electronic tones) of I’m Only Sleeping .  If you call my cell phone you’ll hear some Lennon song (can’t remember which cuz I never call myself lol).  Some highlights of what I’ve learned in the past year – how incredible John’s voice really was, the first use of backwards guitar (ever afaik) on Revolver , their early lives up through the Decca sessions so far, again I could go on and on…I’ll try to keep from going on too much in my posts.  Oh yeah – my favorite Beatle is Gorgeous!

-kermy

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

IveJustSeenAFaceo, pepperland

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

11 February 2014
9.51pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

Glad you introduced yourself here, kermy. No worries. We’ll help you along with the quoting. You’ll get the hang of it. Did you find the option to preview your post before sending it?

You know, it’s probably time for me to get a Beatley ringtone. Thanks for the prompt.

11 February 2014
11.45pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers

kermy, if you quote a post, it won’t have a box around it in the actual text box for the post. It’ll just show up as being indented, pretty far in. If you click the “Preview” option (as Ahhh Girl mentioned) it’ll show what the finished post’ll look like.

And welcome to the forum!

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

12 February 2014
4.32am
BeatleNerd
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 2
2036sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello! My name is Audrey and I joined maybe like ten minutes ago haha :)
I really love reading and writing. When I’m reading I am usually listening to music. When I’m not reading, I like to eat and go on instagram…

But anyway, You all seem really nice and I hope we can be friends :)

Now, I should mention that my favorite Beatle would be Paul. a-hard-days-night-paul-11

All you need is love... And The Beatles.

12 February 2014
5.19am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers

BeatleNerd said
I really love reading and writing. When I’m reading I am usually listening to music. When I’m not reading, I like to eat and go on instagram…

Now, I should mention that my favorite Beatle would be Paul. a-hard-days-night-paul-11

Welcome! 

For all your Paul needs, follow: LongHairedLady, Sky999, and Ahhh Girl. 

Edit: Crap, totally can’t remember if Sky is actually a Paulette. If so, ignore this edit and pay attention to the moderately amusing original post. Thank you, and have a nice day.

12 February 2014
8.24am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
2038sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks to those who welcomed me so far (and any more who might!)  Welcome yourself!  I just found this place the other day myself.  The folk here seem really nice, just take your time learning the ropes (which i am far from knowing a-hard-days-night-george-10

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

12 February 2014
1.38pm
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2059
2039sp_Permalink sp_Print

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

BeatleNerd said

Welcome! 

For all your Paul needs, follow: LongHairedLady, Sky999, and Ahhh Girl. 

Edit: Crap, totally can’t remember if Sky is actually a Paulette. If so, ignore this edit and pay attention to the moderately amusing original post. Thank you, and have a nice day.

You forgot HeyTrud. Yes, I am what ASJ and some others call the Paulettes. I’m just not as perverted, at least not out in public (the forum), as some (Ahhh Girl) so..I slip under the radar at times. 

Anyways….

Welcome BeatleNerd! heart

Hope enjoy yourself on the forum. Just jump into the conversations! 

12 February 2014
1.42pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
2040sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh right. Knew I was missing someone. 

Kermy, for all your Paul needs, see LongHairedLady, Ahhh Girl, Hey Trud, and sky999. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Timpetus
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694