Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
In My Life – what's happening in your life currently?
29 May 2015
5.27pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5690
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3341sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
I’d be here all night and day typing and you’d all be left with scratching heads wishing you could read Ulysses for something a little less confusing.

I’m tired, irritated and annoyed.

I’ve read Ulysses four times. I even ploughed through Gravity’s Rainbow as a student. I can take it.

Work. I’ll spare the details but a situation with a recalcitrant underling is coming to a head. I’ve between locked in management and HR meetings all day, and next week have to kick arse (as we Brits say, although this phone seems to think I want to kick Aries). I’m a lousy people manager tbh; I find conflict a bit stressful. I just want team members who are compliant and can read my mind. Surely that’s not too much to ask?

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

29 May 2015
5.40pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
3342sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry to hear that @Joe, here’s to it working out. You’re damn good at working with us mods and you do a damn good job being tough when you have to.

Strangely with “can read my mind” my head always goes to John’s ‘I Know, I Know” demo:

And I know just how you feel
And I know now what I have done
And I know that I’m guilty
But I never could read your mind.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Joe

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

29 May 2015
6.47pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198

I had to kick arse one time, too, @Joe. By that, I mean had to fire the person. The person was already in their job position when I became the supervisor of the department.

I don’t know if you are to the firing stage with this person, or if this is an “improvement plan needed” kicking you have to give which may or may not lead to the point where you have to let the person go. I found the multiple headaches and attempts of trying to get a person to improve are a lot harder than actually letting them go. By then, you just want some relief. Good luck with whichever stage you are in.

Now I have a staffer who can read my mind. Believe me, it does happen. What changed? I learned how to conduct interviews to find the best candidate. People who aren’t right for the position find the interview to be grueling. The right person lights up and has as much fun during the interview as I do. If you want to swap interview stories and techniques, email me.

29 May 2015
11.15pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
3344sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

Now I have a staffer who can read my mind. Believe me, it does happen. What changed? I learned how to conduct interviews to find the best candidate. People who aren’t right for the position find the interview to be grueling. The right person lights up and has as much fun during the interview as I do. 

That’s because when he applied for the job he knew what you had in mind!

30 May 2015
12.40am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
3345sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annadog40 said
^ Horoscopes also depend on location of the planets and such which can affect the personality reading.

When I was born Mercury was retrograde, which meant something special (my horoscope was done 40 years ago so I’m not sure what it meant lol).

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

30 May 2015
1.27am
Matt Busby
In the town where I was born
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 932
3346sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know many of you are really into music, more than just the Beatles, more than just a fun thing to listen to (and if you’re not into it that deeply, you enjoy it so it’s all good).  I’d like to briefly describe my last 8 days:

Sat-Sun – Beatles festival – lots of good Beatles cover bands, wonderful vibes, ELO less Jeff Lynne which was (excepting light show but it was outside) every bit as good as ELO would have been in the 70s.

Mon-Wed afternoon – Memphis – tremendous blues, graceland, 3 Kings (Elvis, MLKjr, B.B.)

Wed night – Sat (30.5) – Nashville – there’s a reason they call it music city!

As a music lover I crossed about a dozen things off my bucket list and my head is totally fried from data that’s been put in from Beatles misc. discussion, numerous musical tourist destinations from Sun Studios to Graceland to the Country Music HOF and more, and more (really good!) live music than I’ve heard in a long time.  I won’t bore you with all the details, I’d like to blog it and then maybe I’d post a pointer…but I’ll just say that, just as a music lover’s UK vacation wouldn’t be complete without (at minimum) a visit to Abbey Road , the equivalent US vacationer should consider a trip to Nashville at a minimum.  It isn’t called “Music City” for nothing.  The quality and versatility of the bands is amazing.  Even no-cover charge, half-filled bars have bands that would pack bars up north where I live. The little band at the hotel restaurant I’m at tonight, Brassfield Aly, were tremendous and while of course they played a variety of country, they also played Lionel Ritchie, Smokey (You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me), and they cover Bruno Mars and Katy Perry.

Bringing it all back home, Paul and Ringo have both recorded there (I believe most if not all of Beaucoups of Blues was produced there), and George flew over some Nashville session musicians for ATMP – the influence really shows. And of course we know our Fab were heavily influenced by the Memphis/Nashville sound of the 50s, when country and blues spawned rockabilly and r&r (to simplify it greatly!).

After the spring I had, it’s been nice to finish it off with a truly tremendous vacation 🙂

The following people thank Matt Busby for this post:

trcanberra, Beatlebug, vonbontee, Zig

Half of what I say is meaningless...

I feel good in a special way, I'm in love and it's a sunny day

BeatlesBible.com earns royalties if you use these links when shopping: Amazon | iTunes

30 May 2015
1.36am
HongKongLady
Oz
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1640

In My Life                                                  (HKL Version)

There are places I remember all my life though some have changed

Some forever not for better some have gone and some remains

All these places have their moments with love of my kids, I still can recall

Some are happy and some are sadness,  In my life  I love them all

But of all my kids I love them           There is no one compares with them

And these memories always remain  When I think of love and  something new

Though  I know I’ll never lose affection,  for my kids and things that went before

I know I’ll often stop and think about them, In my life I love them all

The following people thank HongKongLady for this post:

trcanberra, Beatlebug, Matt Busby
30 May 2015
1.36am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064

Thanks for the update @Matt Busby , sounds like a tremendous time.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

30 May 2015
1.38am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
3349sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice version of the song @HongKongLady – three wonderful kids – you are so lucky!

The following people thank trcanberra for this post:

HongKongLady

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

30 May 2015
7.55am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3350sp_Permalink sp_Print

After a bonfire that took 2 1/2 hours to burn everything I have the bottom of the garden back. Grass so long and wet that it will need to dry out before getting to cut it.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

30 May 2015
8.26am
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
3351sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Ahhh Girl said
I had to kick arse one time, too, @Joe. By that, I mean had to fire the person. The person was already in their job position when I became the supervisor of the department.

Every time I’ve recruited someone it’s worked out well; it’s always inherited staff that can be problematic (though many have been great too). People get recruited for the wrong reasons by hopeless managers, get given permanent contract (I’ve known someone be given a staff position because of an HR screw-up, when they were only supposed to be taken on temporarily) and under UK employment law it’s really difficult to terminate a contract without valid reason. So they get passed around departments until they decide to leave or can get pushed legitimately, but that can literally take years.

I’m talking in general terms, rather than about any specific person I’ve ever worked with, of course.

30 May 2015
8.58am
georgiewood
In my tree
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 792
3352sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve had to fire my share of people, and like AG, I always found the anticipation and trepidation to be worse than the actual axing–it seems like the person usually expected it, and in one case the axee said “oh, I was just about to quit anyway, so that’s fine.” Nevertheless, I don’t think I would like George Clooney’s job in Up in the Air, although he did get to meet Vera Farmiga, which led to a memorable scene. *sigh*

The following people thank georgiewood for this post:

Ahhh Girl

I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did'.
Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997

30 May 2015
10.25am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198
3353sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ick, what a situation to be in, Joe. Now, let’s think about where you can shuffle that person off to. a-hard-days-night-george-10

30 May 2015
10.45am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
3354sp_Permalink sp_Print

Joe said

meanmistermustard said
I’d be here all night and day typing and you’d all be left with scratching heads wishing you could read Ulysses for something a little less confusing.

I’ve read Ulysses four times. I even ploughed through Gravity’s Rainbow as a student. I can take it.

But have you read ‘Finnegans Wake’?

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

30 May 2015
10.47am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
3355sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Are you gonna write a novel?

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

30 May 2015
10.49am
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members

Annadog40 said

meanmistermustard said

I can imagine it now:

A Tribute to Irn-Bru and Curly Wurly’s: A Scottish Man’s Tale

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Starr Shine?, Beatlebug

30 May 2015
10.53am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
3357sp_Permalink sp_Print

Posted because of a dare

I’m a little teapot short and stout.

Here is my handle.

Here is my spout.

When I get all steamed up,

Hear me shout!

Just tip me over

And pour me out

I’m a clever teapot, yes it’s true.

Here’s an example of what I can do.

I can turn my handle to a spout.

Just tip me over and pour me out

I guess I am now a teapot…. Ya

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

AppleScruffJunior, HongKongLady, Beatlebug

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

30 May 2015
11.04am
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
3358sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ We used to sing a different version:

I’m a little tea pot

Shout and stout

Here is my handle

Here is my spout

When the tea is ready, hear me shout

Tip me over and pour me out

There was no 2nd verse from what I can remember.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug

30 May 2015
11.12am
Joe
Pepperland
Admin

AppleScruffJunior said

Joe said

meanmistermustard said

But have you read ‘Finnegans Wake’?

I have, but I probably skimmed through the last 100 pages. I studied Joyce at school and university, and my degree was quite heavy on modernist and postmodern Irish and American fiction. I’m a glutton for punishment.

Anyway, let’s stay-on-topic

30 May 2015
11.55am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3360sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said

Annadog40 said

meanmistermustard said

I can imagine it now:

A Tribute to Irn-Bru and Curly Wurly’s: A Scottish Man’s Tale

That’s very stereotypical.ahdn_paul_01 a-hard-days-night-paul-3 

My novel would resemble the workings of monkeys drunk on whiskey jumping about on typewriters with the added distinction of the manuscript having been thrown in the air before randomly, hurriedly and haphazardly shoved back together again minutes before submission.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690