Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
9/11 - 10 Years On
6 September 2011
7.04pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

What with all the articles, programmes and pictures beginning to appear for, i hate saying anniversary as that generally has positive connotations applied and here there are next to none, 9/11 10 years on i am immediatley struck by how truly haunting it still is seeing and reading about what happened.

I also dont recall seeing anything in my life braver and more courageous than the firefighters who went to help despite the uncertainty involved and the chaos surrounding them. Or those onboard the fourth plane who fought to prevent another massive disaster giving up their own lives.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

6 September 2011
7.37pm
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1327

Don't forget about the incredibly brave first responders who risked their lives in the attempt to save others. The fact that FEMA knowingly let them breath in some of the most toxic air known to man wearing just paper masks is absolutely despicable, and most rescue workers have developed serious respiratory illnesses while being neglected until very recently. It's really, unfathomably horrible how little Guiliani and other prominent politicians seem to care about the first responders and the families of those who were lost, and yet these same people use 9/11 as a plateau to progress their political career. If Guiliani had updated the radios of the firefighters like he was supposed to a decade earlier, we wouldn't have seen as many lost because many didn't hear the call to evacuate the buildings. No one talks about this though, everyone just says how brave Rudy was that day, and it makes me sick.

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine

6 September 2011
8.08pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

There will be many hundreds, if not thousands of unsung heroes throughout the days, weeks and months afterwards. There are those who day after day searched thru the tons and tons of rubble risking their lives to find remains and few survivors, many of whom developed serious health problems.

There will also be many things that could have been done better or earlier, sadly its the way it is with any disaster. Certainly on the day and in the early hours of the unfolding travesty people were simply struck by the horrors of what had happened and were trying to do what they felt was right. That is no excuse tho for failures in equipment, advice etc. Its always important to learn lessons from these type of events.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 September 2011
6.07pm
GniknuS
Rain? I don't mind
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1327

The first responders are being barred from Ground Zero on the ten year anniversary. http://911blogger.com/news/201…..nniversary

I sat on a rug, biding my time, drinking her wine

9 September 2011
9.12pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4621

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 I'm not surprised at all.

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

9 September 2011
9.51pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Members

Double post Sorry.

I have friends who suffered a lot in September 11. And today, they haven't talked to me about it. That's all I need to know from them about that terrible day.  When I saw this on cinema, I thought of my dear friends, and I cried.

On that day, I just say a prayer from my heart. I don't like homages and those things… I don't like to mix politics with this.

Beware of Darkness… 

9 September 2011
10.09pm
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979

Our hospital has a program for First Responders, so yes I agree with all of the above.

Can't say I'm not just a little nervous about Sunday…

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

10 September 2011
1.37am
MotherNaturesDaughter
On the Hill with the Fool
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 537

I don't really remember too much about 9/11 since I was only five but talking about it recently since it's the 10th year since it happened I'm just shocked at all that happened. We watched a video yesterday in World History that just shocked me. It had messages from people stuck in the towers to loved ones and I just almost bawled. It was a hard video to watch, especially when the towers just collapsed. But I always feel a bit of a swell in my heart when I look at all the hero's that day. There are just so many different ones and of all different walks of life.

"I am definitely a mad man with a box."- Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor of Doctor Who (Episode 1 Season 5: The Eleventh Hour)

10 September 2011
1.56am
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 6402

I always seem to start this post but never finish. I was 4 when it happened. I just watched the tower crash yesterday again. I always here of this state of shock, a shock I will never know. All I know is I’m keeping my iPod, and by extension, my CNN breaking news alert.

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

10 September 2011
2.51am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Members

BTW SunKing there was an earthquake in Vancouver… is everything ok? a-hard-days-night-ringo-7

Beware of Darkness… 

10 September 2011
3.03am
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members

Well, it wasn’t actually on Vancouver, it was off Vancouver Island, and Vancouver isn’t on Vancouver Island. So, no damage, no injury, and only a slight risk of tsunami. The fact that it took me a minute to realise what you even meant shows how little it was felt. All’s quiet on the western front.

10 September 2011
3.51am
New York
Candlestick Park
Members

Hmmm if you guys were 4 and 5, I can't really ask you how 9/11 compared to the shooting of John F Kennedy.

As awful as JFK's assassination was, at least it led to a Moon landing 6 years later.

Without his killing, perhaps the US Congress would have canned the Race to the Moon as being too expensive.

But partly in tribute to Kennedy, NASA worked 24/7 to make Kennedy's goal of “sending a man to the Moon and returning him safely to Earth by the end of the decade” come true.

The Communist Soviets were equally determined to get there first.

Makes for a good story…

10 September 2011
8.33am
oneafter909
The station
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 402

I was pretty ignorant about it when it happened, since I was only 3 and didn't live in America…

But I did visit the ground zero site last year, and I have to say, that I almost cried.

Another reason why I hate social studies lessons : because my teachers like to show us the videos of the 9/11 attacks. a-hard-days-night-paul-4

Step on the gas and wipe that tear away.

10 September 2011
10.22am
CranberrySauce
Sitting on a Corn Flake
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 398

I was 5 and I actually remember glimpsing the towers collapsing on the news. My parents immediately told me to leave the room. 

When I visited New York in 2009, I saw the big empty space where the towers once stood from afar. My grandmother refused to go see the site in person, so we could only see it from a boat. Just goes to show how strong everyone's feelings are even 8 years after.

In our school, we don't watch videos of the towers actually collapsing, but instead watch people's reflections on what happened that day. It really makes one think about everything that's changed, and how our whole mindset has been altered. And even though I have very few memories from that day, it makes me sad. 

Because the wind is high, it blows my mind.
10 September 2011
1.01pm
New York
Candlestick Park
Members

I agree with Paulsbass. Nothing good's come from 9/11. No Good Day Sunshine . More like “too much rain.”

Still waiting for that silver lining.

10 September 2011
1.28pm
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members

Paulsbass, spot freaking on. I still remember hearing in 2003 Jean Chretien say he wasn’t going into Iraq. Knowing what I know now, I like the man more now then I used to. They hated the French so much they renamed all food with French in the title (French Toast, French Fries etc.) with Freedom. Bush, I thought Bin Laden was Operation 1, the key to your administration. Guess who got him? Obama.

10 September 2011
6.33pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

The first i heard of the attacks was a telephone call saying the Pentagon was on fire. No one believed it. I ended up watching coverage on tvs in a shop window with about another 15 people, completely dumbstruck and horrified.

One of the most haunting images i saw was later either that evening, or a couple of days later, recorded footage of very dark clouds of smoke, dust and toxic gases sweeping through the streets after the towers had came down, covering everything in its path, and people trying to get out of its path but being covered in and by it. Absolutely terrifying just to watch it.

And yes i cant think of anything positive that has come from the attacks. But im not that surprised due to the nature and size of events that unfolded that day.

11 September 2011
1.23am
The Walrus
Working for the national health
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1026

Is a democratic Iraq a positive? Or an Afghanistan which isn't ruled by the Taliban to the same extent?

I told her I didn’t 

11 September 2011
3.15am
oneafter909
The station
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 402

I feel that maybe because I never lived in the states or anything, or actually was old enough to know what the heck was going on, or had actually watched the telly when it showed on the news, I feel less emotional towards it. And that's not a good thing, mind you. 

It seems everyone is blaming Bush here for that. I won't object. 

The people in the towers and the planes, I'm sure, that 99% of them did not do a single thing wrong to deserve their life to be suddenly cut short because of bloody terrorists. And for the people who went to risk their lives to save others, I respect them. A lot. 

But the one thing that I hate as well is that George had to know about the attacks a few months before he passed away. 

Step on the gas and wipe that tear away.

11 September 2011
5.27am
CranberrySauce
Sitting on a Corn Flake
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 398

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 I do recall reading somewhere that it was the last major news story he read, and that he was very upset about it… what a terrible thing to see happen right before you die. 🙁

Because the wind is high, it blows my mind.
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691