Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Vinyl Box Set (2012)
23 September 2012
4.36pm
GeorgeTSimpson
Vienna, Austria
Hollywood Bowl
Forum Posts: 343

It sounds interesting because I love vinyls. I don't think I'm going to buy it, though, because it's quite expensive and I don't even know if my parents would allow me to buy something that expensive

Once there was a way to get back homewards. Once there was a way to get back home; sleep pretty darling do not cry. And I will sing a lullaby
23 September 2012
5.38pm
meanmistermustard
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 7189

Its Apple and its the Beatles. That equalls expensive. You rarely get less than top wack for any beatles release.

"Well, probably we'll sell less records, less people'll go to see the film, we'll write less songs, and we'll all die of failure" (John Lennon 8/64)
25 September 2012
4.02pm
bluesubmarine
Casbah Coffee Club
Forum Posts: 16

It sounds good for people who don't already have some.  Though I already own quite a few of their LPs that were second hand. It would be a waste to buy the whole thing again, and like a lot of you guys have said it probably will be pricy, and I doubt that if it does come out that it'll be on sale in Singapore. I already have all their albums on CD so it really doesn't matter to me. I wouldn't mind listening to the old Abbey Road LP over and over again with the crackling noises instead of all their albums, crisp and on vinyl. It doesn't matter to me.

"The marks humans leave are too often scars"
28 September 2012
12.59am
The Strawberry
The Past
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 192

It's hard to deicide if it's worth buying the box set. It says there will only be 50,000 worldwide. Considering how many people love The Beatles, that's not a lot. If I was to buy them, I'd want them all in a boxset. Anyone think they'll make more?

"Time wounds all heels." -John Lennon
28 September 2012
1.14am
SatanHimself
Hades-on-Leith
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 699

In the past, most of the Beatle vinyl sets had limited runs, high price points and sold out very quickly.  All of them now fetch huge coin on the secondary market.

Whatever comes out will most likely be a one-shot, box set wise.  A good chunk of them will be bought and flipped onto eBay for top dollar.  My advice…?  If you're truly a fan and you can make it happen financially, buy one if you see it at retail.

Otherwise, I expect the individual reissues will be catalogue top-sellers for years, but they'll never come down in price.  Expect to see them in the $30-40 range all the time.

E is for 'Ergent'.
28 September 2012
1.20am
Dipsy
Turned left at Greenland
Carnegie Hall
Forum Posts: 246

I just don't really like the idea of a box set. None of the vinyls will be originals, and--let's face it--that's all I'm really interested in. I mean, why would I pay almost $400 for a box set of reissues when I can find some of the same originals for $15? It's a rip-off, really, and a waste of my money. It's a great convenience for new fans who haven't started building their record collection, but for others like me who like to spend spare time searching for originals, it's an unnecessary investment. But--hey--more power to the new collector.

*And as a side note, this is my 200th posting! WOO!* a-hard-days-night-john-1

"I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know? I'm just one of those people."
28 September 2012
1.26am
CooperTrooper
United States
A Beginning
Forum Posts: 10

I don't think you guys who are complaining understand exactly what this is. Yes, the price is high, but that is because this is a highly anticipated very high quality product. All of these are going to be BRAND NEW VINYL. That means no scratches, no scuff, no shelf wear. You CANNOT find that at a garage sale or a thrift store. It's hard enough to find MINT MINT Beatles vinyl online. Not to mention this will include Past Masters, Vols. 1 & 2 SOURCED FROM THE MASTER TAPES AND NOT DIGITAL FILES. That doesn't exist at this point in time, but it will when this set is released. Oh, and one more thing, THEY ARE ON 180 GRAM VINYL!!! Jesus Christ, people come on. It's an amazing set. You can bet your ass I will be getting one the day they go on sale. 

28 September 2012
1.27am
CooperTrooper
United States
A Beginning

I just really hope they release a set of mono vinyls like they did for the CD box sets in 2009.

28 September 2012
1.31am
CooperTrooper
United States
A Beginning

Well, folks. It's official. This is no longer a rumor. Just posted on the Beatles official website.

http://beatles.com/#/news/Vinyl/

28 September 2012
1.40am
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6972

CooperTrooper said

I don't think you guys who are complaining understand exactly what this is. Yes, the price is high, but that is because this is a highly anticipated very high quality product. All of these are going to be BRAND NEW VINYL. That means no scratches, no scuff, no shelf wear. You CANNOT find that at a garage sale or a thrift store. It's hard enough to find MINT MINT Beatles vinyl online. Not to mention this will include Past Masters, Vols. 1 & 2 SOURCED FROM THE MASTER TAPES AND NOT DIGITAL FILES. That doesn't exist at this point in time, but it will when this set is released. Oh, and one more thing, THEY ARE ON 180 GRAM VINYL!!! Jesus Christ, people come on. It's an amazing set. You can bet your ass I will be getting one the day they go on sale. 

I understand it all fine – I'm just not willing to shell out $500 for Past Masters on vinyl and slightly better quality vinyl. If you want to drop $500, go ahead. Just don't expect me to do it.

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
28 September 2012
2.09am
SatanHimself
Hades-on-Leith
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 699

So the argument comes down to this:

$500 is basically my budget for my "Class Project" (see the thread), where I'm buying weird international versions of the original UK albums.  Were I to stick to actual original UK copies, I could still keep fairly close to that budget, but it would take a bit more work being aggressive with eBay auctions.  

But at the same time, this is a beautiful set in ridiculously low numbers and sure to be a cherished and incredibly valuable collectable in the future.

Or you can be practical and buy the CDs.  They sound marvelous. 

The vinyl box is really for the old-school hardcore fan with lots of disposable income.

E is for 'Ergent'.
28 September 2012
10.48am
meanmistermustard
Apple rooftop

The Mono Box was a limited release so people rushed out and bought it since it was advertised at a low number and all Apple did was issue more as demand required and you can still get copies everywhere. I wouldnt let the 50,000 part bother you.

"Well, probably we'll sell less records, less people'll go to see the film, we'll write less songs, and we'll all die of failure" (John Lennon 8/64)
28 September 2012
11.24am
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3207

Amazon.com price: $400
Amazon.co.uk price: £504/$817 (up from £445/$720 yesterday, hopefully it'll come down before release date)

Sometimes living in the UK properly sucks. I could import it from the US but I'd have to pay import duty, though it still might be worth it. Then again, I only need originals of Rubber Soul, Revolver, the White Album and Yellow Submarine on vinyl to have a complete collection, and that might be somewhat cheaper (minus the book of course).

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

28 September 2012
12.43pm
BluemeanAl
North Carolina, USA
The Top Ten Club
Forum Posts: 64

Boy, a tough one.  Last year I bought the Grateful Dead Europe '72 box for $450, so there's at least a personal precedent for dropping that kind of change on a release.  Major differences, though:  the Dead box was 73 discs (22 concerts), so the per-disc price was actually quite reasonable.  Boxes were numbered and, for the first 3000 sold, personalized; and the limited edition was 7200 sets.  Plus it was about 75% music that had not been released before.  Resale value is already quite good (it was quite good even before the boxes were shipped).

On the Beatles side, I keep asking myself how many times I'm going to purchase the same music.  But…it's the BEATLES.  And mostly, it's audiophile vinyl of the UK albums -- and I only own the US albums on vinyl.

I'm too broke for this right now…but on the other hand.

It's gotta be rock and roll music if you wanna dance with me
28 September 2012
2.29pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1813

Damn, that sucks that people have to import these records to the nation that they ORIGINATED in, for chrissakes.

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
28 September 2012
3.43pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3207

Oh hang on, it's down to £299 now. My credit card's just started twitching.

EDIT the twitching got the better of me. I've ordered the box to guarantee that price, though I might cancel before release date. We'll see.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

28 September 2012
4.28pm
meanmistermustard
Apple rooftop

Wouldnt surprise me if a single collection was released, tho i hope to all things Beatle they dont a) include some rarity so we have fork out a fortune and b) it doesnt include all the singles that were released in the 70's and 80's.

Coming to think of it there is actually a few odds and ends out there that are not currently available on cd: Movie Medley (tho thats a good thing) and the additonal tracks from the Baby Its You ep & Free As  A Bird and Real Love singles.

28 September 2012
5.09pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 1813

No doubt there's fanatics out there who would like the Capitol albums on vinyl too.

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
28 September 2012
10.01pm
CooperTrooper
United States
A Beginning

Some of you guys are talking about the price of the box and that the price is dropping. Are these actually up for PRE-order right now? If so, where? Where are you getting these prices? Send links please.

28 September 2012
10.26pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6972

Here, at Amazon.com ($399); http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ…..0box%20set

Here, at amazon.co.uk (299 pounds): http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pro…..0box%20set

Here, at Amazon.ca ($350): http://www.amazon.ca/gp/produc…..0box%20set

Edit: This is insane. It's cheaper in Canada. I've never seen anything cheaper on the Canadian Amazon as opposed to the US.

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
Forum Timezone: UTC 0

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: meanmistermustard, ZiveJustSeenAFaceo, ScrambledEggs, Bongo, Dr Winston o Boogie
46 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
Today Ahhh Girl
Upcoming Linde

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 7189

mr. Sun king coming together: 6972

mithveaen: 4678

parlance: 3648

MeanMrsMustard: 2803

Ron Nasty: 2518

skye: 2295

ZiveJustSeenAFaceo: 1951

LongHairedLady: 1891

Von Bontee: 1813

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 87

Members: 2332

Moderators: 5

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 33

Topics: 3059

Newest Members: ChristianCorl, primadonna paul, Simple Press, Kattatude, El Dorado

Moderators: Ahhh Girl (3347), fabfouremily (2941), Zig (3298), Joe (3207), Ellie (1)

Administrators: Joe (3207)