Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Silver Beatles At Home 1960 - Amazon Download!!!!!!
29 March 2012
11.04pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Seeing this available on amazon.co.uk as a download has completely thrown me. Its the home demo’s John, Paul, George and Stu recorded in April and May 1960 in Liverpool. How is this on amazon? Is it not copyright protected what with the law having been extended to 75 years or is it outside those terms and conditions?

Surely Apple, MPI, Yoko, Olivia and Stu’s Estate will have something to say if it is?

Supposedly its a Swedish release or is shipped from there (cd) if one of the posted comments is to go by.

Its also on itunes.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

30 March 2012
2.34pm
The Walrus
Working for the national health
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1026

I saw it on Spotify. Unfortunately it scrobbles as a Stuart Sutcliffe album.

Copyright law is a complicated thing, I haven’t heard anything about this extension. I know there is something about a 50 year mark that seemingly makes things fair game. As far as I can tell though, in the UK the copyright of a musical work expires 70 years after the end of the calendar year in which the final “author” dies.

If the 50 year thing has been extended recently, it won’t be backdated. See here: http://inventors.about.com/od/…..ration.htm – note that I don’t know the country that talks of but it is probably America.

I told her I didn’t 

30 March 2012
3.39pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

In the UK it was 50 years until recently when it was extended for another 25 years. Presumably this release is outside of that extention as i cant see Apple letting it go otherwise. However its strange that it would go unreported if it was legit, maybe not the newspapers but Beatles Examiner, Record Collector, Wogblog etc. Seems to have slipped under the radar.

And does Stu play on every song, thought he was only on a handful? Calling it a Stu album is stretching it a bit. Tho its weird to think that 3 of the 4 people on these recordings have died, kind of unsettling.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

30 March 2012
4.11pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

Very interesting. Not knowing of this Album until now I have to ask – has anyone had any luck verifying its legitimacy? If it is legit, I would love to own it. I enjoyed listening to the clips on the link mmm provided. The sound quality may be a hangup for some. To me, if this is legit, it is pure gold that just fires up my imagination to no end!

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

30 March 2012
8.18pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I cant for the life of me see this as being legit, one reason being no-one knows anything about it. Surely if a company has license to sell early beatles demos it would advertise it a bit more.

It actually sounds identical to the Purple Chick release so it might be a company has decided to stick it out and see what happens, especially if the legal waters are muddy. A situation similar to Decca and Star Club release of yesteryear before Apple lawyers got involved.

If anyone is looking to hear complete recordings they are on youtube. One of the highlights of the set is I’ll Always Be In Love With You.

30 March 2012
8.40pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4621

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 that sounds very good. I wonder if they are  the actual Beatles….

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

30 March 2012
10.23pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Mith. Not quite understanding you.

It is the beatles, well George, John, Paul, and Stu in 20 Forthlin Road, Liverpool around April & May time in 1960 (the songs were recorded in 2 different sessions). Not sure what the name they were going under was at the time; silver beatles, silver beatals, beatals.

2 April 2012
3.04pm
The Walrus
Working for the national health
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1026

Silver Beetles?

I told her I didn’t 

2 April 2012
3.35pm
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4621

What I mean that if this is the ACTUAL thing and not a tribute band. Just wondering. a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

2 April 2012
7.43pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Mith. Its definately them, no tribute band or anything non actual beatle. Im convinced its a straight copy of the Purple Chick release ‘Strong Before Our Birth’.

Forgot Silver Beetles Walrus. They certainly had a number of names and alternate spellings.

2 April 2012
7.55pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832

Thanks for the info, mmm.

My question about legitimacy was the same as mith‘s. I don’t care if the album is a bootleg – just wanted to make sure that is was John, Paul, George and Stu – not four schmuck’s putting out phoney material.

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691