Parlophone or Capitol; which sounds better? | The albums | Fab forum

Please consider registering
Guest

Log In Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

  
 

— Match —

   

— Forum Options —

   

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Parlophone or Capitol; which sounds better?
14 November 2010
7.07pm
Sitar Soul
Blue Jay Way
The Indra
Forum Posts: 40
Member Since:
12 November 2010
Offline

Something I've always been curious about is other Beatlemaniac's opinions on this matter.

Which vinyl editions do you think sound better; the North American Capitol albums or the British Parlophones, and why?

If neither, which country do you think produces the best sounding Beatles vinyl?

 

I shall refrain from posting my personal opinion until I see what others have to say. a-hard-days-night-george-10

14 November 2010
11.35pm
skye
AZ
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2287
Member Since:
13 November 2009
Offline

Happy Nat would be a good one to ask about this.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo! So little time! So much to know!
15 November 2010
12.27am
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2776
Member Since:
9 June 2010
Offline

I'm going to go with Parlophone.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

15 November 2010
2.37am
MotherNaturesDaughter
On the Hill with the Fool
Candlestick Park
Forum Posts: 538
Member Since:
13 September 2010
Offline

I've never actually heard a Parlophone vinyl so I couldn't really say. But the Capitol vinyls that my family has have always sounded pretty good.

"I am definitely a mad man with a box."- Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor of Doctor Who (Episode 1 Season 5: The Eleventh Hour)
15 November 2010
8.06am
vonbontee
Inside a Letterbox
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2248
Member Since:
1 December 2009
Offline

When I think of Capitol vinyl, the first thing that comes to mind is that godawful "Duophonic" (ie. fake "stereo") process used on my old copies of Second Album, Something New, Beatles '65 and Yesterday and Today, all of which had sound that was as bad as those fake album titles were lame. (Except Yesterday and Today, whose title was actually pretty clever.)  My other Capitol vinyls were either mono or true stereo, so those were all right. And I never owned any of the Parlophones, so, uh, I guess I needn't have replied to this thread.

Oh, and since I'm off topic anyways...Why, oh why did I get rid of my mono Sgt. Pepper ?? (Because I didn't know how scarce it was, that's why!) Sure, it was scratched to pieces (bought it used for $1) and basically unplayable, but still would've been nice to have around...

I just want to play. I’d like to think I could work opposite Sinatra, B.B. King, the Beatles, or a polka band... - Jazz musician Rahsaan Roland Kirk, 1967
15 November 2010
1.36pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 3497
Member Since:
31 March 2008
Offline

I suppose it depends on what you grew up listening to, but I prefer the Parlophone ones. I bought the Capitol CD box sets and too many of the songs are drenched in reverb. I presume that's what US listeners preferred at the time but I think it sounds terrible.

Please don't spoil my day; I'm miles away

Can buy me love! Please consider using these links to support the Beatles Bible: Amazon | iTunes

15 November 2010
6.06pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2205
Member Since:
14 December 2009
Offline

Joe said:

I suppose it depends on what you grew up listening to, but I prefer the Parlophone ones. I bought the Capitol CD box sets and too many of the songs are drenched in reverb. I presume that's what US listeners preferred at the time but I think it sounds terrible.


Thanks for that bit of research Joe - I was wondering whether the Capitol box would retain that awful reverb. I guess they wanted to be as faithful to the originals as they could. I don't think it's a matter of US listeners preferring it, as much as it is them not being given any choice by the Capitol overlords.

Actually, one thing I do like about the Capitols: In a couple of occasions, a few of the songs last a few seconds longer than the Parlophone versions. For example, Paul's barking during "I Feel Fine"'s fade is more apparent on Capitol.

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
15 November 2010
6.27pm
VeraChuckandDave
Canada
The Jacaranda
Forum Posts: 29
Member Since:
30 September 2010
Offline

I have both Parlophone and Capitol records, and they both sound relativley the same.  Im giving the edge to Parlophone in the sound deptartment, since i have Sgt.Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour on that label and it sounds superb.

And in her eyes you see nothing, No sign of love behind the tears, Cried for no one, A love that should have lasted years.
15 November 2010
9.30pm
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 6916
Member Since:
19 September 2010
Offline

Parlophone

I tried to think of something powerful and moving… and failed.  "You were given a choice between war and dishonor - you chose dishonor, and you shall have war" - Winston Churchill
16 November 2010
12.58am
Sitar Soul
Blue Jay Way
The Indra
Forum Posts: 40
Member Since:
12 November 2010
Offline
10

vonbontee said:

When I think of Capitol vinyl, the first thing that comes to mind is that godawful "Duophonic" (ie. fake "stereo") process used on my old copies of Second Album, Something New, Beatles '65 and Yesterday and Today, all of which had sound that was as bad as those fake album titles were lame. (Except Yesterday and Today, whose title was actually pretty clever.)  My other Capitol vinyls were either mono or true stereo, so those were all right. And I never owned any of the Parlophones, so, uh, I guess I needn't have replied to this thread.

Oh, and since I'm off topic anyways...Why, oh why did I get rid of my mono Sgt. Pepper ?? (Because I didn't know how scarce it was, that's why!) Sure, it was scratched to pieces (bought it used for $1) and basically unplayable, but still would've been nice to have around...


Oh yes, the Capitol compilation albums. a-hard-days-night-ringo-13 Eek, I was especially disappointed with the American Hard Day's Night Soundtrack, in which all of the tracks were fake stereo. It's interesting, I find a huge difference in sound quality between different Capitol labels; those records with the rainbow label from the late 60's sound far superior to the orange label ones from the 70's, as do the 80's purple labels.

 

Oh no, you didn't keep a mono SP?... The horror! a-hard-days-night-ringo-14 Like when I had a chance to buy Vee-Jay's "Introducing the Beatles" WITH George's shadow intact for $20, and I didn't know what it was at the time.... /headdesk/ a-hard-days-night-george-5

16 November 2010
1.00am
Sitar Soul
Blue Jay Way
The Indra
Forum Posts: 40
Member Since:
12 November 2010
Offline
11

VeraChuckandDave said:

I have both Parlophone and Capitol records, and they both sound relativley the same.  Im giving the edge to Parlophone in the sound deptartment, since i have Sgt.Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour on that label and it sounds superb.


I'd have to agree with you; as a rule however the 1st-edition Parlophones generally sound far superior to the 1st-edition Capitols.

Otherwise they sound about the same; unless we're talking about the "fake-stereo" American compilation albums.... a-hard-days-night-ringo-13

I'd love to hear MMT on Parlophone. a-hard-days-night-george-10

16 November 2010
1.02am
Sitar Soul
Blue Jay Way
The Indra
Forum Posts: 40
Member Since:
12 November 2010
Offline

Von Bontee said:

Joe said:

I suppose it depends on what you grew up listening to, but I prefer the Parlophone ones. I bought the Capitol CD box sets and too many of the songs are drenched in reverb. I presume that's what US listeners preferred at the time but I think it sounds terrible.


Thanks for that bit of research Joe – I was wondering whether the Capitol box would retain that awful reverb. I guess they wanted to be as faithful to the originals as they could. I don't think it's a matter of US listeners preferring it, as much as it is them not being given any choice by the Capitol overlords.

 

Actually, one thing I do like about the Capitols: In a couple of occasions, a few of the songs last a few seconds longer than the Parlophone versions. For example, Paul's barking during "I Feel Fine"'s fade is more apparent on Capitol.


True, true. I'll always hold a grudge against Capitol for removing the loops at the end of Sgt P, though…. a-hard-days-night-paul-1 And trying to market Rubber Soul as a "Folk-rock" album.
5 January 2011
7.18pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2205
Member Since:
14 December 2009
Offline
13

         And trying to market Rubber Soul as a "Folk-rock" album.

 

Yeah, really. Even though screwing with the albums track listings was wrong, I have no problem with the idea of turning Rubber Soul into a pure fok-rock LP "in theory" - but Capitol couldn't even do that right!  "Nowhere Man" and "If I Needed Someone" are total  folk-rock, and "Think For Yourself" and "The Word", not at all - but guess which pair Capitol chose to set aside for Yesterday and Today! Ridiculous.

 

 

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
5 January 2011
8.27pm
robert
Hollywood Bowl
Forum Posts: 358
Member Since:
19 April 2010
Offline
14

So this is slightly off topic - but it does include Capitol and Parlaphone.

I grew up in the US - in 1968 I was 10 years old and my mom went to England on vacation with my dad. I asked her to do one thing for me - buy every British Beatles album she could fin in England at the time.

How many did she bring back? Zero. She said the record store owner told her the US ones were better. Looking back I know she made that story up and she jsut didn't do it.

I still hold it against her all these years later - imagine!!!

"She looks more like him than I do."
5 January 2011
9.50pm
Von Bontee
A Hole In The Road
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2205
Member Since:
14 December 2009
Offline
15

Wow, that's a bummer. :-(

Bad enough just being 10 years old & left behind while your parents go off vacationing - I'd be pissed! (And hopefullly get my revenge by writing a song around the refrain "Mama don't go-oooOOO!! / Daddy come home!")

One day, a tape-op got a tape on backwards, he went to play it, and it was all "Neeeradno-undowarrroom" and it was "Wow! Sounds Indian!" -- Paul McCartney
5 January 2011
10.44pm
MeanMrsMustard
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 2776
Member Since:
9 June 2010
Offline
16

Von Bontee said:

         And trying to market Rubber Soul as a "Folk-rock" album.

 

Yeah, really. Even though screwing with the albums track listings was wrong, I have no problem with the idea of turning Rubber Soul into a pure fok-rock LP "in theory" - but Capitol couldn't even do that right!  "Nowhere Man" and "If I Needed Someone" are total  folk-rock, and "Think For Yourself" and "The Word", not at all - but guess which pair Capitol chose to set aside for Yesterday and Today! Ridiculous.


Those silly Capitol people. 

Von Bontee said:

Wow, that's a bummer. :-(

Bad enough just being 10 years old & left behind while your parents go off vacationing - I'd be pissed! (And hopefullly get my revenge by writing a song around the refrain "Mama don't go-oooOOO!! / Daddy come home!")


Von Bontee! You are on fire today! 

robert said:

So this is slightly off topic - but it does include Capitol and Parlaphone.

I grew up in the US - in 1968 I was 10 years old and my mom went to England on vacation with my dad. I asked her to do one thing for me - buy every British Beatles album she could fin in England at the time.

How many did she bring back? Zero. She said the record store owner told her the US ones were better. Looking back I know she made that story up and she jsut didn't do it.

I still hold it against her all these years later - imagine!!!


Ouch. That sucks!

 

*9*

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind that is confusing things.

6 January 2011
2.54am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Apple rooftop
Forum Posts: 4651
Member Since:
1 May 2010
Offline
17

robert said:

So this is slightly off topic - but it does include Capitol and Parlaphone.

I grew up in the US - in 1968 I was 10 years old and my mom went to England on vacation with my dad. I asked her to do one thing for me - buy every British Beatles album she could fin in England at the time.

How many did she bring back? Zero. She said the record store owner told her the US ones were better. Looking back I know she made that story up and she jsut didn't do it.

I still hold it against her all these years later - imagine!!!


Now that's a horrible horrible story!!!!! I can't blame you for feeling bad about it! apple01
Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie…… Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower… Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go. Beware of Darkness…  I believe in SH...
6 January 2011
3.55am
Paulrus
Rishikesh
Forum Posts: 899
Member Since:
8 April 2010
Offline

Von Bontee said:

Wow, that's a bummer. :-(

Bad enough just being 10 years old & left behind while your parents go off vacationing – I'd be pissed!


Yeah, but could you imagine the parents' reactions?
 

KEVIN!

Well, the Ukraine girls really knock me out  They leave the West behind 
9 January 2014
2.16pm
derek
The Indra
Forum Posts: 45
Member Since:
8 January 2014
Offline
19

i brought up this topic on the other Beatle board and i was doing alot research on this. First off i want to tell you that i am 100% a Parlophone fan. the U.S. record industry has been duping us for the last 55-60 years. only in recent years are trying to rectify it. There's reason when the Beatles CDs first came out in 1987, that they automaticly went for the U.K. discography. because they realized they screwed up the first time and so it was the record industrys way to apologize to the fans. but then they could not leave well enough alone. Anyrate here's a link to my topic on the subject. http://letstalkbeatles.com/Bea.....34#msg1534

9 January 2014
2.27pm
derek
The Indra
Forum Posts: 45
Member Since:
8 January 2014
Offline

Sitar Soul said
vonbontee said:

When I think of Capitol vinyl, the first thing that comes to mind is that godawful "Duophonic" (ie. fake "stereo") process used on my old copies of Second Album, Something New, Beatles '65 and Yesterday and Today, all of which had sound that was as bad as those fake album titles were lame. (Except Yesterday and Today, whose title was actually pretty clever.)  My other Capitol vinyls were either mono or true stereo, so those were all right. And I never owned any of the Parlophones, so, uh, I guess I needn't have replied to this thread.

Oh, and since I'm off topic anyways...Why, oh why did I get rid of my mono Sgt. Pepper ?? (Because I didn't know how scarce it was, that's why!) Sure, it was scratched to pieces (bought it used for $1) and basically unplayable, but still would've been nice to have around...


Oh yes, the Capitol compilation albums. a-hard-days-night-ringo-13 Eek, I was especially disappointed with the American Hard Day's Night Soundtrack, in which all of the tracks were fake stereo. It's interesting, I find a huge difference in sound quality between different Capitol labels; those records with the rainbow label from the late 60's sound far superior to the orange label ones from the 70's, as do the 80's purple labels.
 
Oh no, you didn't keep a mono SP?... The horror! a-hard-days-night-ringo-14 Like when I had a chance to buy Vee-Jay's "Introducing the Beatles" WITH George's shadow intact for $20, and I didn't know what it was at the time.... /headdesk/ a-hard-days-night-george-5

there's one label you forgot to mention and that was the green-target label with the red circle on top.

Those seemed to have the same sound as the original black label with the rainbow edge.

 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: meanmistermustard, Linde, Mr Bellamy, Oudis, StrawberryFieldsForever, UnidentifiedFiendishThingy
73 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 10400

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

Ahhh Girl: 5533

parlance: 5501

Annadog40: 4748

mithveaen: 4651

Zig: 4549

Mr. Kite: 4305

Ron Nasty: 3218

fabfouremily: 2947

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 88

Members: 2685

Moderators: 4

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 34

Topics: 3146

Posts: 140530

Newest Members: phile24, ZoeLouk, arsentev78, Rocky You're a Blackbird, Johnlovedcats

Moderators: Ahhh Girl: 5533, meanmistermustard: 10400, Zig: 4549, Joe: 3497

Administrators: Joe: 3497, Ellie: 1

Members Birthdays
Today: None
Upcoming: None