Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Beatles Bootleg Recordings 1963
19 December 2013
4.36pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I should be able to get this afer all.  All is well in Pepperland .

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

27 December 2013
1.30pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

I’ve been given it. Woo hoo.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 January 2014
11.29pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064

meanmistermustard said

What do you think of it all?  I have enjoyed some of it but the repetition is more than I personally need.

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

2 January 2014
11.46pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

You’re back!!!!!! Congrats on the Ringo award!

3 January 2014
12.41am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Ahhh Girl said
You’re back!!!!!! Congrats on the Ringo award!

*wave*

Always happy to contribute to a thread derailment.  Now, where to hang the plaque :)

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

3 January 2014
12.48am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

trcanberra said

meanmistermustard said

What do you think of it all?  I have enjoyed some of it but the repetition is more than I personally need.

Well the studio outtakes are so well known but One After 909 (Takes 1 & 2) are great with George’s terrible solo from the latter a real favourite of mine. Money without the piano is so good, it’s just like how they performed it on stage (obviously), i might actually prefer it to the LP version.

BBC-wise yeah there is song repetition, lots of repetition, but i’m such a sucker for the BBC it doesn’t bother me, i love the stuff. There are very few upgrades (the first Love Me Do being the obvious as its complete) but its great to have officially released proper live on stage performances of Love Me Do & Please Please Me .  Roll Over Beethoven is so darn good on the BBC, i honestly cannot get fed up with it so that’s probably my favourite of the repeats. A Taste Of Honey , meh!, it goes by ok but i’m on John’s side with not getting Paul’s love for the song.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

3 January 2014
12.50am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

^ Love the Money as well.  I get a perverse enjoyment with Taste of Honey as Paul struggles to make it sound epic and the rest seem to dawdle along in his wake.

3 January 2014
1.35am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842

trcanberra said
^ Love the Money as well.  I get a perverse enjoyment with Taste of Honey as Paul struggles to make it sound epic and the rest seem to dawdle along in his wake.

Yay, trcanberra’s back! 

I also really like Money, and that’s my one I don’t mind the repetition for (I consider it to be their 2nd (maybe 1st) best cover, and I don’t hat covers). A Taster of Honey gets really annoying after the 3rd time though. I thought the studio tracks sounded absolutely fantastic, especially the stereo ones.

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

3 January 2014
1.56am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Makes you wonder if the third verse was ditched due to other Beatles’ insistence. And the version they covered isn’t much better listening enjoyment wise. 

To be honest i’m not sure its worth £35. Still, Apple Exec’s couldn’t put down the tea and biscuits long enough to license the other material and stop it falling it out of copyright, making money in the process. Scary thinking how useless they are.

3 January 2014
2.31am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

trcanberra said

Yay, trcanberra’s back! 

I also really like Money, and that’s my one I don’t mind the repetition for (I consider it to be their 2nd (maybe 1st) best cover, and I don’t hat covers). A Taster of Honey gets really annoying after the 3rd time though. I thought the studio tracks sounded absolutely fantastic, especially the stereo ones.

*wave*

And ^ – yes, will be interesting to see if there will be any quality PD releases coming out with the material that was not protected.  The one based on 1962 material that has Love Me Do , the non-Anthology Decca recordings and some 1962 Cavern material seems to get some good reviews around the place.

4 January 2014
7.03pm
FLFIORE
Argentina
St Peters Church
Members
Forum Posts: 14

Hi from argentina. I love “A Taste Of Honey “. While nowhere near their masterpieces, it is a wonderful performance of a haunting melody and a highlight of their first LP.

Love those vocals “…yes I-I will return…” “I’ll come back…” And so forth.

Comments welcome!

4 January 2014
8.13pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers

FLFIORE said
Hi from argentina. I love “A Taste Of Honey “. While nowhere near their masterpieces, it is a wonderful performance of a haunting melody and a highlight of their first LP.

Comments welcome!

I don’t dislike the song itself, it’s just that 5 is too many versions of one song.

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

4 January 2014
10.02pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

FLFIORE said

Comments welcome!

Hi FLFIORE. Glad you have jumped into our discussions. Have you stumbled across the thread where you can tell us about how you got to know the Beatles music? We would love to hear your story if you would like to tell it. Being from Argentina, do you have any fondness for “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer ?” Have you heard Paul’s solo song that has the lyric “kiss your lips of silver?” Or, perhaps you and other Argentinians are tired of the references to silver. If so, sorry for the attempt at humor.

6 January 2014
4.35am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers

I’ve had Bad To Me stuck in my head for a the whole day after it came on while I was shuffling. “AND THE BIRDS IN THE SKY WOULD BE…. SAD AND LONELY”. I think it should have been on some album, just to preserve it’s awesomeness. I mean, it would have been better on Beatles For Sale  thank Mr. Moonlight!

6 January 2014
4.37am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

IveJustSeenAFaceo said
I’ve had Bad To Me stuck in my head for a the whole day after it came on while I was shuffling. “AND THE BIRDS IN THE SKY WOULD BE…. SAD AND LONELY”. I think it should have been on some album, just to preserve it’s awesomeness. I mean, it would have been better on Beatles For Sale  thank Mr. Moonlight!

I like the heroic vocal attempt at the beginning of Moonlight – not so much the rest of it.

6 January 2014
4.44am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers

trcanberra said

IveJustSeenAFaceo said

I like the heroic vocal attempt at the beginning of Moonlight – not so much the rest of it.

Yeah, the first few seconds are all I care for.

10 January 2014
7.36am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043

So, how is this, sound quality-wise? Does it sound any better than on bootleg?

The reason I ask is because I think I heard a long time ago (correct me if I’m wrong) that Live At The BBC was mostly sourced from bootlegs and that they used a bunch of clever mixing/mastering tricks to make it sound clearer. I could be completely making that up, though. 

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

10 January 2014
8.02am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

The basic answer is yes, the majority do sound better.

A lot of the studio outtakes are in stereo as opposed to their bootlegged mono. The BBC material is from, generally, the best sounding source tapes, which in some instances are more complete than partial versions previously bootlegged.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

10 January 2014
11.18am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Wogblog posted articles analysing the bbc tracks and studio tracks on the Bootlegs Recordings, noting what were upgrades.

The new Live At The BBC albums have no noise reduction etc and in a number of places are superior to the bootlegs. For the first they went back, improved the sources where possible and removed the overlaps. The sound overall is very good.

One example 

Words Of Love – bootleg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..1eh6K8tvbc

On Air – Live At The BBC Volume 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..QbtyO8GGLU

10 January 2014
1.56pm
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think they sound fantastic, especially the studio outtakes in stereo. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691