Any bootlegs of the Toronto show in 1965? | The albums | Fab forum

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Any bootlegs of the Toronto show in 1965?
4 November 2012
7.35pm
RunForYourLife
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 152

So I was reading about the 1965 tour. Apparently John's elbow-playing wrecked that Vox organ at Shea Stadium and they had to trade it in Atlanta for a new one (It was just recently repaired and sold for a great deal of money). Indeed, if one listens to the Atlanta performance of I'm Down, the organ is clearly messed up. However, listening to the Shea Stadium performance, the organ sounds fine when they finish, leading me to believe that it was the Toronto show in between where John destroyed it.

Are there any recordings of this show, or at least the I'm Down performance?

John's probably the only musician I could forgive for trashing a "Connie", especially considering the circumstances in which it met its end.

4 November 2012
9.37pm
meanmistermustard

Forum Posts: 10350

No recording of the Toronto '65 show has surfaced but a few minutes of silent footage is out there from one of the shows. I havent seen it so no idea whats documented.

Don’t make your love suffer insecurities, trade the baggage of self to set another one free. ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)
10 November 2012
5.03am
RunForYourLife
Ed Sullivan Show
Forum Posts: 152

According to John C. Winn's book Way Beyond Compare: The Beatles Recorded Legacy, my initial assertion was correct, and it was in fact during the subsequent performance of "I'm Down" in Toronto that John destroyed the Continental. An insignificant bit of trivia, but I suppose it could be interesting to Beatle instrument (or organ) enthusiasts.

(Part 3/3 of the Atlanta Concert, 1965)

If anyone's curious to hear what a keyboard sounds like in its death-throes, the "I'm Down" performance starts around 9:06. It's a pity too, George is on fire for that solo (Evidently, this was the only concert where the Beatles actually had monitors onstage that let them hear their playing).

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 597

Currently Online: robert, Necko, meanmistermustard, Ahhh Girl, Oudis
57 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

meanmistermustard: 10350

mr. Sun king coming together: 6916

Ahhh Girl: 5489

parlance: 5471

Annadog40: 4706