Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Album Veto Rights (1976 - 1985)
1 September 2012
1.48am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Did something change in The Beatles contract rights to veto any albums in 1985 with sessions compared to the Hollywood Bowl album in ’77? We know that that Sessions lp was ready to go (down to artwork etc) until Apple heard about it and refused to sanction its release but what about the Hollywood Bowl concert?

Was the Hollywood Bowl passed by John, Paul, George and Ringo for release (they complained about most releases in the 70’s but were unable to block them) or did they simply not raise objection because it wasnt a reissue of previously released tracks?

Were Live recordings not included along with what was in the vaults so Apple had no say in the matter?

Its got me wondering.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 September 2012
8.03pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5694

George Martin relistened to the Hollywood Bowl tapes and discovered that they might be releaseable after all (studio tech had moved on since the 60s and he was able to make them more presentable). He then persuaded the former Beatles to give it the green light – Lennon loved it, Harrison and Starr less so (don’t know about McCartney). There’s more info here: https://www.beatlesbible.com/a…..wood-bowl/

I don’t know much about Sessions, sorry.

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

2 September 2012
9.48pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I think with Sessions it was more down to an ongoing legal fight between EMI and Apple than anything else, and those were resolved for the cd releases in 1987. 

It was more the Hollywood Bowl thing that got me wondering. I know that John loved bootlegs and had a massive collection so makes sense he was up for it. Cant see Ringo being that fussed, George would depend on what day you asked him, Paul would be pretty much the same.

I just remember they all had complaints and reservations about the compilations that EMI shoved out as soon as the contract ran out in 1976 but couldnt stop their releases so actually the question remains – why couldnt they stop the compilations (Rock And Roll Music , Love Songs etc) yet they could Sessions? Maybe its simply because it was unreleased material and EMI could do anything they wanted with the rest. But then why couldnt they release the cds earlier unless it was the lawsuits that stopped them only (kind of legal lockdown)? The last of the compilations was 20 Greatest Hits in October ’82 so it would fit with a legal lockdown and then the veto was brought in. But then why ask John, Paul, George and Ringo for the Hollywood Bowl unless it was out of courtesy?

I think im rambling to myself and going in circles.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 September 2012
9.56pm
SatanHimself
Hades-on-Leith
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 666

I’ve you’ve got the time to read it, this is a very detailed story of ‘Sessions’:

http://web.archive.org/web/200…..sions.html

It would seem that the entire album was kept quiet from the remaining Beatles until the very last minute, and then Paul threw the brakes on it.

In hindsight, I can see why.  Paul most likely didn’t want an arbitrary collection of stuff that wasn’t good enough the first time around to be unceremoniously dumped onto the market, especially while he was at a very busy point in his solo career.

E is for 'Ergent'.

2 September 2012
10.06pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Thanks for that Satan. I skimmed thru it but it doesnt answer my question of how the 3 beatles and Yoko came to be in the position of being able to block sessions but not the compilations – unless it was only the already released stuff and not what was in the vaults, which would acount for George Martin going to the 4 for Hollywood Bowl. Then legal case outcomes kicked in which brought about the veto rule beween ’82 and ’85.

2 September 2012
10.12pm
SatanHimself
Hades-on-Leith
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 666

This is an interesting topic.  I will research it some…

E is for 'Ergent'.

2 September 2012
10.18pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

SatanHimself said

I’ve you’ve got the time to read it, this is a very detailed story of ‘Sessions’:

http://web.archive.org/web/200…..sions.html

It would seem that the entire album was kept quiet from the remaining Beatles until the very last minute, and then Paul threw the brakes on it.

In hindsight, I can see why.  Paul most likely didn’t want an arbitrary collection of stuff that wasn’t good enough the first time around to be unceremoniously dumped onto the market, especially while he was at a very busy point in his solo career.

Thanks for that Satan.

From what i understand they were going to release Sessions in either ’83 or ’84 but due to delays (Pauls Broadstreet album being one) it was rescheduled for ’85 at which point Apple found out and they (mostly Paul) blocked it. Im sure there were legal issues between Apple and EMI (royalties,  it was always royalties) and/or Yoko, George and Ringo v Paul (but that could have been later as wasnt that what stopped Paul being at the Hall of Fame ceremony in ’88?).

However it doesnt answer my question of how the 3 beatles and Yoko came to be in the position of being able to block Sessions but not the compilations – unless it was only the already released stuff and not what was in the vaults, which would acount for George Martin going to the 4 for Hollywood Bowl. Then legal case outcomes kicked in which brought about the veto rule beween ’82 and ’85. They were always suing someone in the 80’s were Apple – and 70’s… & 90’s…. & 00’s. Theyre probably suing someone as i type.

[Note.

I know a large chuck of this post duplicates my last one but i thought i edited it to address Satan’s post 2 back and not copied it. Im not going to delete the last one.]

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694