Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
2009 Remasters - Vinyl vs. CD
15 January 2014
3.31pm
Adam24
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 19
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi again!

I have this situation where I can chose between the “Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band” on vinyl and CD. I really don’t need it to listen to it, since I have it on mp3. I want to own a copy of it, since Beatles albums (as most of you know) go far beyond the sound – and no other album confirms this rule as much as “Sgt. Pepper “. So which one should I get? Both seem to have their own features (I think the CD has a booklet that isn’t included on the vinyl album, while the vinyl copy has more extra content like stickers). Or maybe I should start from other albums, if yes then which one? Thank you for any suggestions!

apple01apple02

"You say you'll change the constitution?

Well, you know

We all want to change your head." 

15 January 2014
3.44pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Adam24 said
Hi again!

I have this situation where I can chose between the “Sgt. Pepper ‘s Lonely Hearts Club Band” on vinyl and CD. I really don’t need it to listen to it, since I have it on mp3. I want to own a copy of it, since Beatles albums (as most of you know) go far beyond the sound – and no other album confirms this rule as much as “Sgt. Pepper “. So which one should I get? Both seem to have their own features (I think the CD has a booklet that isn’t included on the vinyl album, while the vinyl copy has more extra content like stickers). Or maybe I should start from other albums, if yes then which one? Thank you for any suggestions!

apple01apple02

Vinyl every day of the week. Artwork is fantastic and in all its glory size-wise. The Pepper booklet in the cd isn’t anything to get excited about.

I’m presuming you have all the music.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Mr. Kite

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

15 January 2014
4.12pm
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953

meanmistermustard said

Vinyl every day of the week.

Most definitely…:-)

15 January 2014
4.34pm
c64wood
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 305

Billy Rhythm said

meanmistermustard said

Vinyl every day of the week.

Most definitely…:-)

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Ditto

Look Up The Number

15 January 2014
6.57pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5012

Go with whichever one you want.  It depends on your preference.  I’m collecting everything on CD because I don’t like to hear the pops and hisses on vinyl (and I think there have been some issues with the pressings of the new Beatles vinyl sounding horrible and having to be traded in for replacements–you can see the negative reviews for the box set on Amazon), but I’m also buying vinyl here and there (original vinyl, not new).

Plus, aren’t the new vinyl albums mastered from a digital source, not analog?

But the stickers would be nice, and the other things shouldn’t matter if you aren’t planning on listening to it.

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

15 January 2014
8.20pm
Adam24
Casbah Coffee Club
Members

I really can’t decide, even when the vinyl seems to be an obvious decision, there are a few things that bother me – like for example the fact that I won’t be able to hear it because I don’t own a gramophone. Probably the vinyl is the right decision, but I want to know which one gives a better feeling when holding it

a-hard-days-night-george-10

Well, you know

15 January 2014
8.40pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Adam24 said
I really can’t decide, even when the vinyl seems to be an obvious decision, there are a few things that bother me – like for example the fact that I won’t be able to hear it because I don’t own a gramophone. Probably the vinyl is the right decision, but I want to know which one gives a better feeling when holding it

Vinyl. Vinyl is so much better for that as well. With vinyl you actual feel you have something of worth in your hands whereas CD’s feel cheap, light and small to hold – because they are (cheap to produce that is).

I thought you didn’t need to hear it as you have the mp3?

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Mr. Kite

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

15 January 2014
8.42pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

If you already have a digital copy, and so are buying it to own a copy, I would go vinyl. As you’ve already said, you’re not really buying it to play, but to own. While you may not be able to play the vinyl, how much would you play the CD? In the end, would you mainly stick with the mp3 copy you already have to keep the CD as pristine as possible. The artwork for Pepper was created to be seen at 12″ by 12″ scale, and if it includes the cut-outs sheet (they are not stickers) that is beautiful in itself, and like everything, scaled down for the CD. If you’re buying it as an artefact to own, buy the vinyl and you’ll get what The Beatles created; if you’re buying to become your source of listening to it by, and you can’t play vinyl, then buy the CD. Only you know which of those choices fits your aim to own a physical copy better.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Mr. Kite

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

16 January 2014
10.56pm
Adam24
Casbah Coffee Club
Members

Yeah, after considering I’ll definitely go for the vinyl – after all, that’s how “Sgt. Pepper ” really looked like when released and it’s true that when holding a vinyl you get the feeling of holding something valuable. Thank you then for your opinions, I’ll let you know when I get that copy!

apple01

Well, you know

28 January 2014
2.10pm
Adam24
Casbah Coffee Club
Members

Well, I got my vinyl a few days ago and… I’m very satisfied with it! I can’t play it, but at least I have it there when Sgt. Pepper is playing, and that gives me an idea of it. So thanks for the help, I appreciate it a lot

Well, you know

28 January 2014
2.42pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22222

Glad you got a little help from your friends. Enjoy.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22222, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694