The Quarrymen's first live engagement of 1958 was their third at the New Clubmoor Hall, a Conservative Club in Liverpool's Norris Green district. (more…)
This was the Quarrymen's second of four performances at Wilson Hall in Liverpool's Garston district, one of the venues run by local promoter Charlie 'Mac' McBain. (more…)
A somewhat bizarre booking for the nascent Quarrymen: they performed two raucous sets for the social club of Liverpool's Stanley Abattoir. (more…)
This was the first time the Quarrymen played at this notoriously rough venue in the Garston district of Liverpool. (more…)
Liverpudlian promoter Charlie 'Mac' McBain held regular skiffle and rock events at his venues. On Friday 18 October he ran one such event, at the New Clubmoor Hall in Norris Green, Liverpool. It was the first show in which Paul McCartney appeared onstage with the Quarrymen.
McCartney played lead guitar. First-night nerves, however, caused him to make a hash of his solo during the Quarrymen's version of Arthur Smith's 1946 instrumental hit Guitar Boogie. (more…)
The Cavern Club would become a regular venue for Beatles shows while they remained a Liverpool secret. Once Beatlemania took hold, however, they rarely played in their home city again. (more…)
On the afternoon of 6 July 1957 the Quarrymen skiffle group played at the garden fete of St Peter's Church, Woolton, Liverpool. (more…)
The Quarrymen played twice on this day. In the afternoon they performed on the back of a stationary coal lorry, and that evening took part in a street party, both in Liverpool's Rosebery Street. (more…)
Less than a month after their first live appearance, The Quarrymen entered ABC TV's talent show TV Star Search, organised by "Mr Star Maker" Carroll Levis. (more…)
The Cavern Club, which was to become world-famous after The Beatles performed there nearly 200 times, opened its doors for the first time on the night of 16 January 1957. (more…)
While her husband Alf was away at sea, Julia Lennon lived with their son John at the Dairy Cottage, 120a Allerton Road in Woolton, Liverpool. The cottage was owned by George Smith, the husband of Julia's sister Mimi.
As Alf was so often away at sea, Julia often spent evenings at dance halls. In 1942 she met a Welsh soldier known as Taffy Williams, who was stationed at Mossley Hill barracks in Liverpool. (more…)