Apple Studios, Savile Row, London
Producer: George Martin
Engineer: Glyn Johns
The 18th day of the Get Back/Let It Be sessions saw The Beatles finally decide to perform a concert the following day on the roof of their Apple headquarters.
The Beatles tackled a number of George Harrison's songs, perhaps hoping that one would be suitable for inclusion in the film. The album version of For You Blue had been taped on 25 January, but three more takes were performed on this day. Also played were Something, All Things Must Pass, Let It Down and Old Brown Shoe, although none sounded like polished versions ready for release.
Also needing work was I Want You (She's So Heavy), destined for inclusion on Abbey Road. The Beatles and Billy Preston had first jammed the song on the previous day, and evidently thought it worth continuing with.
Also returned to was Dig It, although the album version was taken from 26 January. This had Lennon singing a list of some of the key songs played during the sessions, most of which made it to the Let It Be album.
Come on and dig it... dig it every night and day... dig it any time of day. You can dig it for breakfast, dig it for your tea. You can dig it in the morning, dig it for dinner, any day... Don't Let Me Down, Get Back, I've Got A Feeling, Two Of Us, All I Want Is You, Teddy Boy, One After 909, All Things Must Pass, Dig It, Let It Be, The Long And Winding Road, For You Blue, Maxwell's Silver Hammer...
The final part of the session was mostly devoted to cover versions. Among them was Buddy Holly's Mailman, Bring Me No More Blues, which was heavily edited and included on Anthology 3. The Beatles also played Besame Mucho, as seen in the Let It Be film.
The full list of songs recorded on this day, including fragments and off-the-cuff, unpublished songs with presumed titles (plus primary composer/best-known performer):
- Singing The Blues (Guy Mitchell; five versions)
- Rule Britannia (trad)
- I Walk The Line (Johnny Cash)
- Dig A Pony
- I've Got A Feeling
- Don't Let Me Down
- Get Back
- One After 909 (three versions)
- She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (three versions)
- Two Of Us (three versions)
- Let It Be
- The Long And Winding Road (two versions)
- For You Blue (three versions)
- Something (two versions)
- All Things Must Pass (Harrison; four versions)
- Let It Down (Harrison; four versions)
- I Want You (She's So Heavy) (two versions)
- Sexy Sadie
- Old Brown Shoe
- Dig It
- Besame Mucho (Consuelo Velázquez)
- Three Cool Cats (The Coasters)
- I Got To Find My Baby
- Some Other Guy (Richard Barrett)
- Honky Tonk (Bill Doggett)
- Vacation Time (Chuck Berry)
- Cannonball (Duane Eddy)
- Not Fade Away (Buddy Holly)
- Hey Little Girl (In The High School Sweater) (Dee Clark)
- Bo Diddley (Bo Diddley)
- Maybe Baby (Buddy Holly)
- Peggy Sue Got Married (Buddy Holly)
- Thinking Of Linking (Lennon-McCartney)
- Crying, Waiting, Hoping (Buddy Holly)
- Mailman, Bring Me No More Blues (Buddy Holly)
- Teddy Boy (McCartney)
- Bring Your Own Band (McCartney)
- Lotta Lovin' (Gene Vincent)
- Sorry Miss Molly* (McCartney)
- Also* (McCartney)
- She Gets Heavy* (Lennon)
* presumed title.
View the complete list of songs played during the January 1969 Get Back/Let It Be sessions.