Donovan was a friend to The Beatles, particularly McCartney. He had been present during the writing of Yellow Submarine and Eleanor Rigby, and had suggested the line “Sky of blue and sea of green”. In 1968 he studied Transcendental Meditation alongside The Beatles in India.
Also on this day...
- 1969: George Harrison rejoins The Beatles
- 1965: Live: Another Beatles Christmas Show
- 1964: Live: Cinéma Cyrano, Versailles
- 1962: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1961: Live: Casbah Coffee Club, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.