Live: Convention Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey

9.30pm, Sunday 30 August 1964 (49 years ago)

The Beatles performed before 18,000 fans at the Convention Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

The night before they had stayed at the Lafayette Motel. At 2.15pm they left in the back of a fish truck, and a short distance from the Convention Hall they switched to their waiting tour bus.

After the show The Beatles left the venue in a laundry truck, as their limousine was too conspicuous. That night they stayed at the Marquis De Lafayette Hotel in nearby Cape May, where they stayed for a few days prior to their 2 September concert in Philadelphia.

During their stay in Atlantic City, John Lennon and Paul McCartney wrote the song Every Little Thing, which appeared on the Beatles For Sale album at the end of 1964.

John and I got this one written in Atlantic City during our last tour of the States. John does the guitar riff for this one, and George is on acoustic. Ringo bashes some timpani drums for the big noises you hear.
Paul McCartney
The Beatles Off The Record, Keith Badman

7 Responses to “Live: Convention Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey”

1. Ken Shane

Good information. I was at the show. The only flaw is the reference to the Lafayette being six miles away. It was more like six blocks away.

By the way, the opening acts that night were the Bill Black Combo, the Exciters, and the Righteous Brothers.

2. George Wescoat

I was at the concert also, although I was only 6 1/2 years old.I just recently found the tickets at my mothers. My parents sent to New York for the tickets and they were $3.90 apiece. I have a picture of them if you would like to see them.

3. Nancy Krampert

I was there, too, in the 7th or 8th row back. I was almost 12 years old. Couldn’t hear a thing, though, with all the screaming. It was a mob scene.

4. Lillian Rutherford Sweeney

All these years I thought the car (truck) I seen John Lennon in was a ambulance, they were parked and I went up and asked a man there did he have any aspirin I had a awful headache. I seen movement under some sheets and John popped his head out and gave me a big smile , I just looked at him and smiled back, Then the man closed the door and the truck took off, I went back to my friends who hogged the binoculars at the concert and told them what I saw. They were not amused that I did not call them over.

5. Barbelli

I was there! The Beatles stayed in Atlantic City at the Lafayette Hotel on North Carolina Avenue…NOT in Cape May.

6. Douglas Bonnell

I was there, 18 years old. My step dad had worked there and I knew how to get around. 3 friends and I got up to the balcony. Could not hear the music for all the screaming. Don’t recall 18000 people, seamed a lot smaller from my vantage point/memory.

7. Bonnie

My two friends and I (age 14) purchased three tickets ($4.90) to the concert. We also sent away for press passes from Teen Magazine, and received two thin paper passes with PRESS typed on them. There was a raised press box to the left of the stage, and we decided to give the passes a try. Since there were only two passes and three of us, two of us presented the passes and were allowed to climb up the stairs to the press seats. Then one of us took both passes back down, gave one to the third friend and once again were allowed in. We sat IN FRONT OF Dick Clark, and sometime during the concert the police had to pull my friend down off the press table (gently, and just asked her to remain on the floor)as she was standing on it screaming. Dick Clark signed my white “genuine leatherette” purse, and some years later my mother threw it out not releasing how important it was to me! And yes, the Beatles stayed at a hotel that was about 6 blocks from the Convention Center. We walked over there and one friend used the press pass again to get up to the floor where Beatles were staying. UNFORTUNATELY, she was told by a guard that they were not accepting any more questions from the press at that time.