Paul McCartney receives one-year driving ban

12.00pm, Monday 26 August 1963 (50 years ago)

On this day Paul McCartney was fined £31 and disqualified from driving for one year, after having been stopped by police on 14 June 1963 for driving over the speed limit.

The incident had taken place at 11.45 on Seabank Road in Wallasey, Merseyside, following The Beatles’ appearance at a Mersey Beat Showcase in the Tower Ballroom, New Brighton.

A newspaper reported the court appearance as follows:

James Paul McCartney, 21-years-old-musician of 20 Forthlin Road, Allerton, Liverpool, was fined £25 and disqualified from driving at Wallasey for 12 months after he had admitted exceeding the speed limit along Seabank Road.

McCartney who had two previous convictions for speeding this year was told by Alderman W.O. Hanford presiding: “It is time you were taught a lesson.”

McCartney was also fined £3 on each of two summonses for failing to produce his driving licence and his certificate of insurance within five days of being asked to do so by a police officer. He admitted all three summonses.

Inspector L.E. Harrison, prosecuting, said that at 11.45 p.m. on June 14 McCartney’s car was paced for two tenths of a mile at between 50 and 55 miles per hour. When advised of his speech and asked for an explanation by Constable Stephen Goodhall McCartney made no reply. He was unable to produce his driving documents at that time.

The documents were not produced until the beginning of July. When asked why he had not produced them before McCartney said he had been on tour.

2 Responses to “Paul McCartney receives one-year driving ban”

  1. brian

    Hmm… interesting. Inspector Harrison was the prosecutor. Paul was wise to give “No Reply” to the constable!

    Reply
  2. Sheila Rogers

    Well Well, I see my cutting out of the paper 48 years ago has reared it’s head again. I cut this out of the Wallasey paper in 1963 August when on holiday there (my home town). It has been in my scrap book for 47 years until I put it on a Group on Facebook and somebody copied and saved it and it appeared in The Examiner and is now on google. Oh well, I have the original cutting still.

    Reply

Leave a reply