This was The Beatles' third performance at the Kingsway Club, situated on the Promenade in Southport, Lancashire.
Ringo Starr played drums for them on this occasion, and earlier that day during their lunchtime show at the Cavern Club, as Pete Best was unwell. Starr was a friend they had known since both The Beatles and Starr's group The Hurricanes performed on the same bill at Hamburg's Kaiserkeller in 1960.
Built in 1931, the Kingsway was a popular venue for live acts from the 1960s through to the 1990s, but closed in 2004. It reopened briefly in 2006 but closed for good the following year. On 6 September 2010 the derelict building was destroyed by fire, and two days later the remains of the building were demolished.