The trip was just a few days after McCartney was invited to join the Quarrymen by band member Pete Shotton. The offer was accepted, but the camp trip and a subsequent family holiday at Butlins in Filey, Yorkshire meant he missed the group's first concert at the Cavern Club on 7 August.
Also on this day...
- 1969: Recording: Come Together, Sun King, Mean Mr Mustard
- 1968: Recording: Hey Jude
- 1967: George Harrison returns to England from Greece
- 1966: Datebook republishes John Lennon’s ‘Jesus’ comments
- 1965: World première of Help!
- 1964: Live: Johanneshovs Isstadion, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1961: Live: Blair Hall, Liverpool
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.